E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LS430 Tried to Race Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.
Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 25 2005, 02:53 PM
Alright let's not start counting pennies here.

For those who bought the 525i/530i relax and enjoy.

545i owners don't pick on your fellow E60 brethren.

If gas savings were a factor why didn't you get a Honda Insight or Toyota Prius?

I know, i know you wanted the latest midsize BMW.

In the end it is better to be penny wise than pound foolish.

Future 550i and New M5 owners should respect us E60 5er's all!
[snapback]106721[/snapback]
I don't think there was any picking on fellow E60 brethren. In fact, I hope my posting was not interpreted that way. The basis of my point was whether you have a 525, 530, 545, M5 - that you are part of a class group of individuals that enjoy and respect a fine handling machine. Well maybe not class, but those who own a machine that I think is a step above all others (maybe the same playing field as MB's - I have to give them that).

I have to say, this was a much more interesting topic than just discussing problems. I think when people come to this forum or any forum for that matter, they may get scared away. If they read this, they will see the passion we have for our Bimmers.

As they say, if you want to go out with the Big Dogs, you got to raise your leg High.

Enjoy the psuedo holiday weekend - I am going to go an run down my tires as I am getting a new set of Dunlops from the dealer next week.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Mar 25 2005, 01:44 PM
how about the 545i Vs M5 guys?? (Jk LOL)

Presley348
[snapback]106696[/snapback]

Debadge, Slap on bigger meats, exhaust, M Kit and go "you're not worth my time."
Old 03-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Mar 25 2005, 01:29 PM
I had one of those BMW experiences today that simply confirms the feeling that everyday driving creates.? A guy in a white LS430 kept trying to get me to race with him.? I had come up from behind and him and was going to pass him, when he suddenly speed up.? He floored it so I thought he was just increasing his driving speed, which was ok with me. However, he immediately slows down again.? When I change lanes, he stays next to me and he starts "jumping" his car (excelarating and letting off repeatedly).? I giggle? ? At this point, he has not seen those two little digits following the "5" on my trunklid.? I looked over at him, he punches it and I just let him go.? No contest, not worth the waste of gas.? I get behind him and we come up to a light.? This guy starts smoking his tires at the light and looks in the rear view mirror.? This time I smile and nod and mouth "OK". ? Light turns green, he nails it, I nail it and pass him from BEHIND ?

I had seriously considered the LS430 for all the luxury and realiability and this was just the icing on the cake that I had made the right decision.? So if you can find another sucker out there in an LS430, feel free to toy with him all you want, he doesnt stand a chance
[snapback]106599[/snapback]
I usually try to lure them onto an offramp/onramp. They almost always early apex (i.e trying to hug the corner) which makes it even worse for them. I had one guy in an MB E500 try to stay with me on "my favorite onramp" which is an uphill decreasing radius 270 (+/-) degree curve leading from one highway to another. Taken correctly there are 2 apex points. He early apexed and almost ended up in the weeds.
Strangely enough, I can take this particular onramp a few miles an hour faster than my E36 M3. Either the Dynamic Drive is awesome or my Balls have gotten bigger
Old 03-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Mar 25 2005, 11:47 PM
[quote name='derrickj' date='Mar 25 2005, 01:29 PM']I had one of those BMW experiences today that simply confirms the feeling that everyday driving creates.? A guy in a white LS430 kept trying to get me to race with him.? I had come up from behind and him and was going to pass him, when he suddenly speed up.? He floored it so I thought he was just increasing his driving speed, which was ok with me. However, he immediately slows down again.? When I change lanes, he stays next to me and he starts "jumping" his car (excelarating and letting off repeatedly).? I giggle? ?? At this point, he has not seen those two little digits following the "5" on my trunklid.? I looked over at him, he punches it and I just let him go.? No contest, not worth the waste of gas.? I get behind him and we come up to a light.? This guy starts smoking his tires at the light and looks in the rear view mirror.? This time I smile and nod and mouth "OK". ?? Light turns green, he nails it, I nail it and pass him from BEHIND ??

I had seriously considered the LS430 for all the luxury and realiability and this was just the icing on the cake that I had made the right decision.? So if you can find another sucker out there in an LS430, feel free to toy with him all you want, he doesnt stand a chance
I usually try to lure them onto an offramp/onramp. They almost always early apex (i.e trying to hug the corner) which makes it even worse for them. I had one guy in an MB E500 try to stay with me on "my favorite onramp" which is an uphill decreasing radius 270 (+/-) degree curve leading from one highway to another. Taken correctly there are 2 apex points. He early apexed and almost ended up in the weeds.
Strangely enough, I can take this particular onramp a few miles an hour faster than my E36 M3. Either the Dynamic Drive is awesome or my Balls have gotten bigger
[snapback]106819[/snapback]
[/quote]

realtyman your technical description of the ramp (uphill decreasing radius, 2 apex points) sounds like what one would hear between two racers talking in the pits. That kind of thinking is the difference between BMW owners and those that own other luxury "sporty" cars. Thats the way I think about driving too.

Nick
Old 03-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Mar 25 2005, 08:47 PM
[quote name='derrickj' date='Mar 25 2005, 01:29 PM']I had one of those BMW experiences today that simply confirms the feeling that everyday driving creates.? A guy in a white LS430 kept trying to get me to race with him.? I had come up from behind and him and was going to pass him, when he suddenly speed up.? He floored it so I thought he was just increasing his driving speed, which was ok with me. However, he immediately slows down again.? When I change lanes, he stays next to me and he starts "jumping" his car (excelarating and letting off repeatedly).? I giggle? ?? At this point, he has not seen those two little digits following the "5" on my trunklid.? I looked over at him, he punches it and I just let him go.? No contest, not worth the waste of gas.? I get behind him and we come up to a light.? This guy starts smoking his tires at the light and looks in the rear view mirror.? This time I smile and nod and mouth "OK". ?? Light turns green, he nails it, I nail it and pass him from BEHIND ??

[snapback]106819[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably a combination of the two, that is your dynamic drive and your balls!

How do you like that exhaust? Do you have the dual tips with modified bumper? Please elaborate, I am interested.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

unless it is a stop and punch type of situation, smoking the other guy takes more than simple brute engine power.

i find most people on the roads here in canada (or north america) are clueless on effective driving techniques, which is all about timing and lines.

act at the precise moment with finesse is an art.

#1 LOOK.

the line to attack an apex/curve/bend, the position of your vehicle in traffic, when to gun flat out while holding gear, shifting and how to brake are all important factors to outrun the other dude.

although i can definitely use more horses like the 545, i feel that with my current setup i am more than adequate to be brutal.

the rest of the bunch are jealous and defintiely not worth my time.
i (we) am driving a very nice car.

boys and girls do always stay focus behind the wheel of your e60, you will find so much more pleasure screaming your baby away while the rest of the audience admire in the further distance......behind.

FMI: Watch F1 and world rally championships. learn how the professionals do it. watch closely. beaucoup benefits for your daily entertainment.

*realtyman and nick, you guys are precisely the ones i refer by knowing how to drive effectively.
i too love hugging late apexes, my best is at those 'S' bend exits.
i love to know what that dude behind thinks when he sees us doing that? ...BMW....
Old 03-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rollee' date='Mar 26 2005, 02:11 AM
FMI: Watch F1 and world rally championships. learn how the professionals do it. watch closely. beaucoup benefits for your daily entertainment.
[snapback]106851[/snapback]
Watch? If you want to learn how the professionals do it, I think a better idea is to participate in driving schools, etc. You'll learn way more and have much more fun in a controlled, safe environment.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Senior Members

you're right rudy.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:22 AM

Talking

Try an E V O C course! :winkcool:
Old 03-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Members

What about this one
LS430 Tried to Race Me-gs_473_lg.jpg