E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LS430 Tried to Race Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by davetexas' date='Mar 25 2005, 02:18 PM
I entertained the thought of the GS before getting my last e39. The dealer experience at Lexus was such a delight, great service, a weekend long test drive and competitive pricing that got better and better. Compared to the BMW dealer ( will not name publicly) who hardly made themselves available so I can get in a five minute test drive and then offered to do me a favor knocking $500 off the price.

At the end-of-the-day the BMW won in spite of the dealer. The problem with Lexus is that IMO its all on the surface. No purpose to the car, no essence and thus no passion.

Dave
[snapback]106708[/snapback]
Well Said!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 25 2005, 06:02 PM
Hi jsal:

. . . that's all well and good what you think about us 530i's, but now tell me: how about the 545i Vs M5 guys? (Jk LOL)

Presley348
[snapback]106696[/snapback]
Good point. Are we talking E39 M5 or E60 M5?

For the E39 M5 you are at least within the ball park. He has you on accel, but I think you have him in corners and class. There was a posting by somebody who has an E39 M5 and a E60 545. He stated that he liked the 545 better and the M5 sat in the garage. So, you know he is looking at you thinking "Nice Car". We are talking about mutual respect. If you really want to be a sleeper and piss him off - Super Charge!

The E60 M5 - you probably have another year before you will ever see one on the road and have to worry about it. And then, it will be few and far between. Although I love BMW, when you start talking about spending that kind of coin, you really have to look at what else is on the market. So, I don't think you will see alot of them like you see M3's.

However, when you do, suck it up, swallow hard and give him (or her so I don't offend anyone) a thumbs ups and just think what that extra 20-30k is doing for you in the bank.

No matter what, there is alway someone faster on the road.
[snapback]106704[/snapback]
[/quote]

================================================== =

Not to say MPG with today's soaring gas prices...my e60 530i runs quick enough for me (0 to 40 MPH in 3.4 seconds), and gets 26.9 city and 34.7 highway..and like you put it so well about our money in the bank, I fully agree, and I too laugh all the way to the bank with gas savings also!

Presley348
Old 03-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Mar 25 2005, 06:42 PM
[quote name='jsal' date='Mar 25 2005, 06:02 PM']
Hi jsal:

. . . that's all well and good what you think about us 530i's, but now tell me: how about the 545i Vs M5 guys? (Jk LOL)

Presley348
Good point. Are we talking E39 M5 or E60 M5?

For the E39 M5 you are at least within the ball park. He has you on accel, but I think you have him in corners and class. There was a posting by somebody who has an E39 M5 and a E60 545. He stated that he liked the 545 better and the M5 sat in the garage. So, you know he is looking at you thinking "Nice Car". We are talking about mutual respect. If you really want to be a sleeper and piss him off - Super Charge!

The E60 M5 - you probably have another year before you will ever see one on the road and have to worry about it. And then, it will be few and far between. Although I love BMW, when you start talking about spending that kind of coin, you really have to look at what else is on the market. So, I don't think you will see alot of them like you see M3's.

However, when you do, suck it up, swallow hard and give him (or her so I don't offend anyone) a thumbs ups and just think what that extra 20-30k is doing for you in the bank.

No matter what, there is alway someone faster on the road.
[snapback]106704[/snapback]
[/quote]

================================================== =

Not to say MPG with today's soaring gas prices...my e60 530i runs quick enough for me (0 to 40 MPH in 3.4 seconds), and gets 26.9 city and 34.7 highway..and like you put it so well about our money in the bank, I fully agree, and I too laugh all the way to the bank with gas savings!

Presley348
[snapback]106716[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 03-25-2005, 01:53 PM

Wink

Alright let's not start counting pennies here.

For those who bought the 525i/530i relax and enjoy.

545i owners don't pick on your fellow E60 brethren.

If gas savings were a factor why didn't you get a Honda Insight or Toyota Prius?

I know, i know you wanted the latest midsize BMW.

In the end it is better to be penny wise than pound foolish.

Future 550i and New M5 owners should respect us E60 5er's all!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:58 PM

In the long run the 20 to 30k you saved if financed won't really be felt anyway.

Now if one bought a 525/530i cash as opposed to 545/550i cash then there's a big difference!

In a cash deal the 20 to 30k really could be put to better use.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Typical Dallas Lexus driver.....

<_<
Old 03-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

this is a funny thread, I loved the stories. I think it's silly that there is a civil war going on, lol. I mean if you have a 5 series, then you have one and dat's that. I myself when I do get one it will be the 550i, not because I don't like the effeciency of the 2 cars it's just that I won't be able to go to sleep everytime I see a 550i pass me I'm in my 530i . Again to each his own and it when you pass a 530 or 525 (you 545 owners) just know that they can corner just as good as you can!! you only beat them with that engine which is AWESOME! lol
Old 03-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Mar 25 2005, 01:44 PM
[quote name='jsal' date='Mar 25 2005, 05:24 PM']I get some of the same S#@T from allot of different cars on the road.? Being this is my first BMW, I know the feeling of being on the other side of the fence.

For people who really care - it is the jealousy of not having the whole package.? You don't have to even race to have already won.

Yes, a new Shelby Mustang will give you a run off the line, but don't try to turn it, or stop it.? A Vette could handle the turns, but don't try to enjoy a comfortable ride.? The Lexus/Acura/Infinity - nice reliable cars and some of them do have adequite power, but will never handle the curves.? A Caddy CTS with the vette engine - lots of power but no balance and the steering system sucks.?

Most are nice, but can't hold a candle to a German engineering for driveability.? It is not their forte'.

530/525 guys who really care.? Debadge, put on larger meats, then just smile and say "you aren't worth my time"!
[snapback]106692[/snapback]

Hi jsal:

Presley348
[/quote]

Presley 348, funny you ask...I was driving home from dinner in LA the other night west on Sunset Blvd - it was late - no one on the road - until I pulled to stop at a red light and right next to me in the other lane was a Black E9 M5 also stopped headed the same way at the red light. Now, i'm not much of a racer especially, in LA traffic but, I couldn't resist...

It was one of those moments, I looked over expecting him to be looking at me and he didn't acknowlegde me...So, light turns green and I punch it, steptronic shifting, maxing gears, 1 and 2 and i'm flying...left him in the dust...however, i don't think he was trying...so, I was driving in front of him winding through Sunset Blvd and really enjoying the drive and turns...

we both came to another stop light...this time he was looking over at me...so, green light...he smokes me off the start but, I'll tell you I'm pleasently surprised that he gained about a car length and I stayed with him after...then, we approached some heavier traffic and slowed down...Fun stuff, once and a while, and what a great car the E60 is!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:46 PM

Obviously the driver in the E39 M5 was not really trying if he was your 545i's cabin microfilters would be eating his dust!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I just don't understand why people pick races. Sure, 5 out of 6 times they win because those he picks were not trying to race. Gas is expensive now a days you know. But, if he gets a kick out of it, then no harm done.

I get my butt kicked all the time. Just today, I got picked by a WRX and I got smoked. I guess if I want to make people inhale my exhaust, I just take my bike out. 0 to 60 in 2.8 sec. Then after that, I just go back to my slow car.

Quick Reply: LS430 Tried to Race Me