E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lower control arms and sway bar end links replaced now bumpy ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:11 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by tjackson9810
What I did after reading the posts was, I used a jack lift to lift up my rotors to ride height and tightened them. I still hear the thudding but now there's also a metal clanking noise. Could the wheel bearings be worn out?
The control arms are only fully tightened with the car lowered on the ground. I'm sure there is also a specification for X pounds in the driver set and a full tank of gas. If you tighten the control arms with the wheels off the ground, you have now tightened it all in a geometry that isn't "normal". And, it will fail quickly by damaging the bushing.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you placed a jack under the rotor??
best way is to install the control arms and leave the fasteners slightly loose, then drive front wheels onto ramps, and then tighten the control arm bushings.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tjackson9810
What I did after reading the posts was, I used a jack lift to lift up my rotors to ride height and tightened them. I still hear the thudding but now there's also a metal clanking noise. Could the wheel bearings be worn out?
Are you sure you didn't scratch/dent/damage the rotor with the jack?
If you did, it will bang/clank/scrap/thump as that spot on the rotor rotates and hits the brake pads...

I know it is too late now, but it's best to lift the suspension by the underside of the outer control arms and hub. I can't think of any other reason why there would be clanking.

Ooops! Yes I can! Check to make sure you didn't bend the rotors splash shield while jacking. It is easily pushed into contact with the rotor. You'll have to check both driver and passenger sides to see which is touching the rotor (or maybe its both).
This is probably the clanking sound, as the rotors should be tough enough to withstand minor jacking (still not recommended though).

Let me brainstorm a bit further on what that thumping could be...
Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat
I need to replace mine so the question is it better to replace the whole arm or just the bushing?

Where should I purchase it BMW or after market?

For me the bushing vs Control Arm issue boils to the fact that it's easier to just
remove and replace the whole arm. Control Arms are relatively inexpensive so I don't go through the hassle and renting tools to press the old bushings out and the new ones in.

I just replace the whole arm and be done with it.

However, if you prefer the savings of just doing bushings only, there's no problem with that. Just be certain that your current control arms are straight and true, not bent.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
you placed a jack under the rotor??
best way is to install the control arms and leave the fasteners slightly loose, then drive front wheels onto ramps, and then tighten the control arm bushings.
Good advice!