E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 5501 with 68K. I bought it used with 58K. I had my 2nd oil change about 2K ago and last night I got the warning light. It's a pretty intimidating light warning of engine damage etc. I stopped and it was 1 quart low. I drove 2 miles and got a quart of oil, poured it in and the light went out.

I went by my trusted indy repair and he said that it might be some sort of failure in the intake that is sucking oil and to keep an eye on it. He did not feel that it was likely an internal engine problem given the mileage.

I am 1 day past my extended warraty ending and want to know what he is talking about as well as the cost. I also considered the possibility that they didn't fill it completely at the oil change.

The only issue I have is a rough idle at start up then after 2-3 miles everything settles down.

Help please and thanks in advance

John
Old 10-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

You said this was your second oil change on the car. Did you experience an oil drop during the first oil change interval? If not, then maybe you just didn't get a full top off when they did this oil change, and a slight oil use triggered the light .

At this point, I think your best bet is just to monitor the oil level. I've never heard of the "failure in the intake" that your indy talked about.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:24 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply. I'm taking it in Monday to see if there is something the dealer can identify. It seems as though it has lost more oil since topping it off last week. Hard to be sure though
Old 10-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Members

Unfortunately my car is dripping oil on to the bottome panel, so I dont see it on the ground and just had my mechanic look at it and there is leak from the time cover and alternator gasket. Can't believe for a car like this I would experience such a headache. And I happen to get that low oil every 2 months or so.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by five4life
Thanks for the reply. I'm taking it in Monday to see if there is something the dealer can identify. It seems as though it has lost more oil since topping it off last week. Hard to be sure though
Oil level sensor may be the culprit.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by shorttough
Unfortunately my car is dripping oil on to the bottome panel, so I dont see it on the ground and just had my mechanic look at it and there is leak from the time cover and alternator gasket. Can't believe for a car like this I would experience such a headache. And I happen to get that low oil every 2 months or so.
Good thought. I checked and the gravel pan is dry as can be. Dropped it at the dealer today. I'll post the update (hopefully good new$) once I know. Thanks for responding
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by pcy
Oil level sensor may be the culprit.
+1
Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by shorttough
I replaced both upper time cover gaskets and alternator gasket at 92000 miles. This project was a PAIN! What quote did you get? I think BMW will charge you $2500+ for this job.
I did it myself and I needed 2 weekends to do it.

GL
Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by syrousd
+1

But that wouldn't explain why the level was actually low and why it seems to be dropping again after filling it
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Members

Got the call from the dealer this morning, valve seals are bad. $6850. My CPO warranty ended 8 days ago. Maybe they will show mercy although the service advisor says they won't since I didn't actually buy the warranty I just got it by transfer.

This sucks

Quick Reply: Low Oil warning