E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lost my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Just a thought...

When you hit the S.O.S. button (next to the sunroof button) BMW is able to get you Road Side Assistance. Well, maybe you can contact someone at BMW, explain your situation, and perhaps they can triangulate the location of your car and relay this to the proper authorities.

Hmmmm....
Old 09-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Unfortunate. I know how u feel.

How did they get in to the house?

Last November my house was broken into and they removed the pane of glass from the double glazed window without setting off the alarm. At the front of the house. The windows were put in probably 6-7 years ago and the design puts the glass in from the outside. So it was very easy to remove the glass by taking off the outside weather flashing.

Newer windows have the glass put in from the inside making it impossible to remove the glass from outside. I've since had the windows modified to stop this happening.

I always take keys upstairs anyway so they didn't get the E60 (cops said thats what they were after). However, they got my laptop which was in the room where they got in.

Hope u get appropriately rewarded without too much of a loss or penalties.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:26 AM
stu
Members

Christ , upsetting if you are in the house at the time.
Glad teh family are unharmed.
Test drive a 3 series if you wish , then get a new E60!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d, Prof Nav, TV, BT, Comfort Seats, Multi disk

Thanks for all the good wishes. I am glad that the family was away for a couple of days and it was just me in the house. They tend to be lighter sleepers than me and might have heard something... You can replace a car, but not your family.

Hindsight is a wonderful gift and in retrospect, I wish I had a tracker fitted, but we were working on the assumption that if they were stealing to order, a 525 diesel would not be at the top of their list. I guess it says something that they abandoned the CLK and kept the 525.

The sliding patio door was forced, pulling the two patio locks out of the aluminium frame. These have now been replaced and the fittings now go through the frame and into the more solid wall. Since then, we have had the local crime prevention officer take a look at the house and give some practical advice.

Now I just need to wait for the insurance company to remove the proverbial digit and make me an offer. Maybe a 530d or 535...
Old 09-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Thanks for sharing your experience.
It never occured to me before, but I'm going to start keeping my keys in the room with me.

Much luck in resolving this issue.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:06 PM
It never occured to me before, but I'm going to start keeping my keys in the room with me.
You probably won't of seen the Vauxhall (GM) advert for the Corsa many years ago where an owner was shown actually sleeping with the car in BED!!! Bit extreme, but...
Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 26 2005, 12:06 PM

Much luck in resolving this issue.
[snapback]175210[/snapback]
I already do that, along with one of my guns, all behind a security system.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

My security system has a "glass break" microphone that listens for breaking glass. Sometimes when we are taking dishes out of the dishwasher, it sets off the alarm because the sound of clanking dishes is the right frequency.

But I'm sure my wife keeps her keys downstairs -- for her 325ix.

My E60 keys are upstairs with me!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Members

I am very sorry to hear that hope to find it
Old 09-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Same thing happened to a friend of mine - stole his and his wife's VW Golf GTis after breaking into the house to get the keys!

Hope it is resolved soon

Quick Reply: Lost my car