E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Real BMW Engineer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2004 BMW 545i has been having the following issue for several months. The car was brought to the dealership several times while under warranty and it was never fixed.

Once the car gets moving a little quicker I can't tell. I can duplicate it all the time. If I am at a dead stop, and if I just barely let out the brake, just enough so the car is moving forward as slow as possible, its noticeable up to a certain speed. Once I let the brake out fully, the car gets moving quick enough where I do not notice it anymore. I thought it was the brakes, so I replaced the pad and rotors. The braking is always smooth and I can still feel it when the brake totally let out, while it kinda gets up to speed on it's own.

I spoke to BMW of North America the other day and they told me that the service manager has the option to get a BMW Engineer out to look any car they cannot diagnose. That's news to me! That should've been done a LONG LONG time ago. I have a service appointment next week to discuss this with them...hoping they are not going to charge me anything.

Here are two graphs I made with my OBD-II Scanner. Both graphs are from the same set of data. Since the RPMs have a much higer value than the other stuff...I put it in it's own graph. The duration here is about 50 seconds.

If someone has a 545i that runs perfectly and also has an OBD-II reader, please please please send me the log file so I can compare.

Thank you!!
CB

Looking for a Real BMW Engineer-4-20-2011-idle-graph.jpg
Looking for a Real BMW Engineer-4-20-2011-engine-rpm-graph.jpg
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

sorry, I am not able to discern the problem from the above data...

Engine RPM fluctuating during idle?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Members

Same here,

Why dont you mention your problem in the topic and the post?

The idling appears totally normal to me just around 30 rpm difference, cant imagine that you are able to feel or see that on the rev counter.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mako
Same here,

Why dont you mention your problem in the topic and the post?

The idling appears totally normal to me just around 30 rpm difference, cant imagine that you are able to feel or see that on the rev counter.
You can't see it on the rev counter...but you can feel it. Sometimes it's worse than other times. The description I have listed in this thread is a feeling when moving very slowly and may or may not be related to the bumps I feel while sitting in Park at idle.

My main concern is what I have in the description.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Members

Sorry everyone...I copied and pasted the issue from an old post but forgot the first sentence...here it is again.

My 2004 BMW 545i has been having the following issue for several months. The car was brought to the dealership several times while under warranty and it was never fixed.

When the car is barely creeping forward, like what you need to do in bumper to bumper stop and go, inching up just a few feet at a time, when the car starts moving I can feel sort of this pulsating / shaky type movement.

Once the car gets moving a little quicker I can't tell. I can duplicate it all the time. If I am at a dead stop, and if I just barely let out the brake, just enough so the car is moving forward as slow as possible, its noticeable up to a certain speed. Once I let the brake out fully, the car gets moving quick enough where I do not notice it anymore. I thought it was the brakes, so I replaced the pad and rotors. The braking is always smooth and I can still feel it when the brake totally let out, while it kinda gets up to speed on it's own.

I spoke to BMW of North America the other day and they told me that the service manager has the option to get a BMW Engineer out to look any car they cannot diagnose. That's news to me! That should've been done a LONG LONG time ago. I have a service appointment next week to discuss this with them...hoping they are not going to charge me anything.

Here are two graphs I made with my OBD-II Scanner. Both graphs are from the same set of data. Since the RPMs have a much higer value than the other stuff...I put it in it's own graph. The duration here is about 50 seconds.

If someone has a 545i that runs perfectly and also has an OBD-II reader, please please please send me the log file so I can compare.

Thank you!!
CB

Attachment 120047
Attachment 120048
[/quote]