E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 a Step Down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my530i' post='299839' date='Jun 19 2006, 02:53 PM
To me, L7 sounds a little muddy, but it's a good OEM system compared to standard system. However, for $1800, it does not meet our expectation.
Remember that L7 isn't $1800. $1800 is L7+CD Changer. MSRP for the L7 is $1200.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Geno' post='299263' date='Jun 18 2006, 09:31 AM
I've had my car a couple of days and so far I haven't had any gripes, except about the sound. I have to admit to being a little sound obsessed in my home stereo stuff, which makes it all the weirder that without comparing them I assumed the Logic 7 would sound better than the standard stereo. I hate to admit, but I upgraded it sound-unheard. Has anyone heard both and liked the standard sound system better?

The audio is the only thing I don't like so much about this car. It's not intolerable, but it has boomy inarticulate bass ("smeared" and monotonic) and a slightly strident high-end. My Lexus RX 300 standard sound system was audiophile-grade by comparison.

A second question: has anyone found settings that correct these flaws?
Hi Geno/Eric:

Below are my un-noteworth settings. Let me kow how they sound to you guys. If you don't like them, then no problem.

Logic 7: Off

Fader: -1 (to the back) (or neutral. How often does one hear live music come from the sides or rear except at the movies or with SACD's or Audio DVD's?)

Balance: (Forgot to write it down but probably neutral since my wife and I are in the car together very frequently.)

Bass/Treble: Neutral (or off?)

Equalizer:
Lowest: +5 (Not so low the bass is unnatural or boomy)
Next: +3
Next: +1
Next: -3 (Voices tended to sound harsh. I may be off a little here on the voice range since I am away from my car.)
Next: -7 (Same as above.)
Next: -2
Highest: +3 (But, I have lost considerable ability to hear the highs.)
Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by swajames' post='299799' date='Jun 19 2006, 12:27 PM
Surprised at some of the iPod bashing. Many of the British hi-fi magazines rate the iPod as having decent DACs and audio quality in general and my experiences bear that out, particularly using a line level signal rather than the stereo out headphone jack. The thing is that all MP3 or AAC files are not created equal - many of the criticisms here are likely attributable, at least in part, to the quality of the original rip and/or post processing.
iPods probably are the best of the compressed music players. If there is anything bad about them, it is that it apparently is hard to get them to sound good through the AUX port. Some claim to have soleved the problem. So, if interested, do a search on iPod. There have been many threads dealing with the iPod/AUX port sound problem.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Geno' post='299807' date='Jun 19 2006, 12:38 PM
I agree with swajames: the iPod has a surprisingly good DAC for the price and sounds great through a variety of playback systems at decent rip rates. No pun intended, but I guess I don't get the logic of the Logic 7: is it supposed to be something other than stereo reproduction? If so, that would explain why it doesn't sound like good stereo.

doug 999: I'll check with an mp3 burn at iTunes rip rates onto a cd to see if the aux jack and annoying European-politically-correct-volume-suppression might be the culprit. (iPods sold in Europe have a tradition of suppressing gain at the expense of sound-- maybe that's what's happening here?) Not sure what I'll find; the radio sounds poor too, not to mention the reception here in LA from the sharkfin is pretty sketchy.
I have been able to make suprisingly, especially to me, good MP3's for 545i use. My initial attempts sounded horrible although ripped at 320 kbps. I obtained what I consider to be very good MP3's by ripping using iTunes/AIFF and then converting the AIFF files to MP3's at 192 kbps. I am no ripping expert, so if my procedure truly improves quality, then I don't know why. All I know is that I was not will to listen to my first attempts, and I am enjoying those produced using my AIFF/MP3 procedure. Go figure.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Members

Since L7 is really just signal processing, different songs containing different signals will map through the amp and to the 13 speakers in various ways.

What this means is that some songs sound GREAT while others sound just OK. This can even happen on the same CD.

An example - If you like Jazz, there's a good chance you have Dave Koz' CD "Saxophonic". If you do, try track 7 and listen how much better the spatial awareness is on that track versus other songs on the same CD.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='299901' date='Jun 19 2006, 03:20 PM
Hi Geno/Eric:

Below are my un-noteworth settings. Let me kow how they sound to you guys. If you don't like them, then no problem.

Logic 7: Off

Fader: -1 (to the back) (or neutral. How often does one hear live music come from the sides or rear except at the movies or with SACD's or Audio DVD's?)

Balance: (Forgot to write it down but probably neutral since my wife and I are in the car together very frequently.)

Bass/Treble: Neutral (or off?)

Equalizer:
Lowest: +5 (Not so low the bass is unnatural or boomy)
Next: +3
Next: +1
Next: -3 (Voices tended to sound harsh. I may be off a little here on the voice range since I am away from my car.)
Next: -7 (Same as above.)
Next: -2
Highest: +3 (But, I have lost considerable ability to hear the highs.)
Cool... I'll test out your settings and doug's to see what you guys listen to. Just curious... What I think is good maybe isnt... there's prob somthing better... I just adjust untill I thought... Oh this sounds ok lets not touch it. thats why I'm interested to hear others...
Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

iPods probably are the best of the compressed music players. If there is anything bad about them, it is that it apparently is hard to get them to sound good through the AUX port. Some claim to have soleved the problem. So, if interested, do a search on iPod. There have been many threads dealing with the iPod/AUX port sound problem.

The best player was the Rio Karma. Unfortunately, they are no longer making them.

http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/
Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='300005' date='Jun 19 2006, 09:07 PM
The best player was the Rio Karma. Unfortunately, they are no longer making them.
http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/
good enough for me
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

So does the Logic 7 act as a regular stereo when "Theater" or "Concert Hall" aren't selected? "Signal processing" that superimposes effects is a big violation of my audio ethic. In fact, processors in general are, unless I'm watching movies at someone else's house.

I'd hate to think the standard BMW audio rig is just the Logic 7 minus L7 settings I'll never use. Is there more to it for that extra $1.2k?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Members

I think you get three more speakers than the standard US stereo, including one in the center. 13 speakers vs. 10. I think two more speakers in the doors.

From reading other posts, my sense is that the "subwoofer" under the seats is tuned for slightly deeper bass response. Perhaps the amps have slightly more power? Anybody else really tested the differences besides the sound processing?

I have the standard US stereo with the CD changer and MP3 capability in the in-dash CD unit.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 a Step Down?