E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 a Step Down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Geno' post='299507' date='Jun 18 2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks Doug,

This may sound completely moronic, but where in the menu is the "L7" control? And what does it do?

g'o
Under Entertainment one of the menus is Logic 7 - there you have your choice of two DSP modes (Concert and one other one I think) and off. I have mine off - but you can experiment and see which you like better.

From what I've read about the iPOD interface, one of the things you want to do is run it through the cable that blends the DIN connector with power and then connects to the bottom of the iPod. Apparently that makes it sound a lot better - removing the resistors helps as well.

Try creating an MP3 CD and playing that in the car or just using a regular CD for comparison. Also make sure you have recorded at 192K+ sampling rate.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='299705' date='Jun 19 2006, 02:57 PM
Under Entertainment one of the menus is Logic 7 - there you have your choice of two DSP modes (Concert and one other one I think) and off. I have mine off - but you can experiment and see which you like better.

From what I've read about the iPOD interface, one of the things you want to do is run it through the cable that blends the DIN connector with power and then connects to the bottom of the iPod. Apparently that makes it sound a lot better - removing the resistors helps as well.

Try creating an MP3 CD and playing that in the car or just using a regular CD for comparison. Also make sure you have recorded at 192K+ sampling rate.

I think it is more of a problem with the ipods digital to analogue converter, the ipod is convenient but hardly high quality.
The new one is meant to have digital outputs on it, this is what we need from it. 160gig ipod with digital out so you can fill it with wavs or MLPs.
But until then my ipod will stay in the drawer and only come out on holidays.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

The iPod sounds much better on all my stereos including the Lexus'; I'm super familiar with how it sounds. I agree that even at my high rip rates, mp3s have limitations, but that's not what I'm hearing and remarking on. This is a muffled and abrasive stereo sound I haven't heard prior to this system.

Could it be the aux jack capacitor?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

I don't need my car stereo to sound like my audiophile rig at home. I just want it to sound better than a car RADIO.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Even my daughter's current music sounds way better in the Lexus.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Geno' post='299707' date='Jun 19 2006, 09:03 AM
I agree the iPod and mp3 sound even at my massively high rip rates have limitations, but the iPod sounds much better on all my stereos including the Lexus', so I doubt that's the problem. I'm super familiar with how it sounds; it isn't causing this muffled unclarity.

I've heard that the aux port is not that great but verify it. Create a CD at 128. Sound can be really subjective just like a TV viewing. You may think your consumer LCD TV looks great, but compare it to other prosumer equipment, side by side, you'll see the difference.

At home, I use Polk Audio Rtis towers, NHT sub amp, and Phase Technology sub. I used to own an LS400 with Nakamichi (sp) and a Maxima with Bose. Now I have L7 (HK). I've also listened to Levinson in my father's LS430. I like clear highs and mids and "accurate" bass response. REALISTIC sounds are what I'm after.

Well, nothing compares to the home setup primarily due to the space of the room and the size of the speakers, and the amp (Yamaha RX series). With regards to the HK, ML, Nakam., and Bose: See below:

HK - Fairly good on the highs and mids while bass response is about 7 out of 10
Nakam. - Very good in highs, mids, and bass response. (They kick a$$ when it comes to accurate sound reproduction).
ML - Same a HK, but bass is 5 out of 10 for accuracy response
Bose - a disgrace to audiophile, well, their good for talk radio The effects of "sound everywhere" is great, but it's not very realistic. It's great if you want to listen to crowd sounds at a concrete in your car/media room.

So, my conclusion is for a factory installed system, HK is the best out of the above systems with regards to accurate sound reproduction. As for the money, it's a bit too expensive for what I get.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 750Li;CLK63 Black Series (Retired);

Has anyone hear the new L7 THX Certified stereo system?
Is this a new concept for the z4s and 3s? I read about this in the BMW magazine. I hope the L7s in our 5ers are also THX certified considering the price we pay for.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Geno' post='299707' date='Jun 19 2006, 09:03 AM
The iPod sounds much better on all my stereos including the Lexus'; I'm super familiar with how it sounds. I agree that even at my high rip rates, mp3s have limitations, but that's not what I'm hearing and remarking on. This is a muffled and abrasive stereo sound I haven't heard prior to this system.

People who have had their aux jacks installed on their 06s have reported this problem when the installation is done wrong - sound's like they messed yours up at the factory.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Surprised at some of the iPod bashing. Many of the British hi-fi magazines rate the iPod as having decent DACs and audio quality in general and my experiences bear that out, particularly using a line level signal rather than the stereo out headphone jack. The thing is that all MP3 or AAC files are not created equal - many of the criticisms here are likely attributable, at least in part, to the quality of the original rip and/or post processing.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Contributors

I agree with swajames: the iPod has a surprisingly good DAC for the price and sounds great through a variety of playback systems at decent rip rates. No pun intended, but I guess I don't get the logic of the Logic 7: is it supposed to be something other than stereo reproduction? If so, that would explain why it doesn't sound like good stereo.

doug 999: I'll check with an mp3 burn at iTunes rip rates onto a cd to see if the aux jack and annoying European-politically-correct-volume-suppression might be the culprit. (iPods sold in Europe have a tradition of suppressing gain at the expense of sound-- maybe that's what's happening here?) Not sure what I'll find; the radio sounds poor too, not to mention the reception here in LA from the sharkfin is pretty sketchy.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 a Step Down?