E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7 : it beats!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='May 10 2005, 10:53 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='May 10 2005, 06:13 PM']I thought the $2000 Nakamichi system in my GS400 was good too until I went over to the local high-end audio shop one day and asked for a demo of an aftermarket system. There is absolutely no comparison. If you've never been in a car with a decent (> $2500) aftermarket system, you have know idea what you're missing. I know I didn't.
[snapback]126799[/snapback]
The stock sound system can never be compared to an aftermarket system.

Does anyone know if there is any way to upgrade / improve on the L7? I have been searching the net but cannot find anything related to the Harmon Kardon. Can anyone assist?
[snapback]126824[/snapback]
[/quote]

You can't compare a stock to an aftermarket system. IMHO, the L7 sounds a lot richer and cleaner compared to any aftermarket system. I used to have a $1,500+ aftermarket system in my Honda Accord but I don't think that was even close to the L7 in quality.

Think of it like this, with the aftermarket you get pure power sound as compared to the L7 where you get the elegance out of the sound. Same comparison with Lambrogini vs. Ferrari. The Lamb is just raw power, where the Ferrari has style and finesse.

cheers
Old 05-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm no expert either but I think there are various levels of "aftermarket." I feel the L7 is worth the price due to it's overall excellent sound and it's total integration (and warranty) that goes along with it.

If I want perfect sound, I'll spend the money on a home system. The car is a difficult place to achieve perfection. I'm sure you can throw money at an aftermarket solution that will sound better than the L7 but in the end, I don't think it's worth it...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='May 11 2005, 02:09 PM
[quote name='swajames' date='May 10 2005, 11:56 PM']I'm really happy with my L7 too,? but I agree it's a shame that it so difficult to change or upgrade the system for those owners who want to push the boat out on the audio front.? ?

My only issue with the E60 audio has been the level of bass you can hear from outside the car.? I noticed it first when I was cleaning the car and had the audio on - you really can hear a huge amount bass from outside the car (which I guess is the twin subs under the seats doing their stuff) even though it sounds just great from the inside.? Passers by must think that all E60 owners have had their audio systems installed by the same guy that does all the "pimp my ride" 1985 Honda Civics round our way.........
[snapback]126837[/snapback]

Agreed but this is not the car's fault. It sounds clean and you play it loud. We all now the sound deadening in an E60 is phenomenal.
[snapback]126899[/snapback]
[/quote]

Had exactly the same experience. Always like to have the music on while I give the car a wash. But it sounds awful from the outside, you only hear beats. Is there a L7 wireless headset option available ? (very useful in winter as well...)
Old 05-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

You can't compare a stock to an aftermarket system. IMHO, the L7 sounds a lot richer and cleaner compared to any aftermarket system. I used to have a $1,500+ aftermarket system in my Honda Accord? but I don't think that was even close to the L7 in quality.

That is absolutely incorrect. I could spend the amount of money that the Logic 7 costs and build a system that is a significant improvement in quality of sound. The unfortunate part is, the E60 design makes this difficult because of the dash layout and integration of computers, iDrive, etc...

Aftermarket does not just mean more power. The quality of the components is better, as well. (depending on what you get, of course) Ultimately it comes down to your system design. Yes you can spend $1500 on an aftermarket system and it can still sound like crap. But if you know a little bit about the subject, you can spend a small amount and make a fabulous system.

But your point about the Logic 7 being richer and cleaner than any aftermarket system is absolutely ridiculous. It's clear to me your position has been formed with some level of ignorance on the subject of car audio, and particularly high-end audio.... so its somewhat understandable how you might make that conclusion.

I have had competition quality audio systems in my previous 3 vehicles.... and can tell you that by comparison the Logic 7 is completely outclassed. But, at the same time.... it's not a fair comparison because the Logic 7 is OEM. But this was my whole point made above.... Logic 7 is good by OEM standards (which are very low standards). It is not good compared to a decent aftermarket system.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='May 10 2005, 05:12 PM
Great stock system, but.............The Mark Levinson in my Lexus is pretty good too.? No EQ so I like L7 better, but it is very close.
[snapback]126781[/snapback]
LuvE60,

Which one sound better to you ML or L7 if you try them with one CD and back-to-back?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

DVD Audio isn't just about 6 channel sound-- it has a much higher bit density and doesn't suffer from the compression distortion that you get from conventional CDs. I have an Acura TL with DVD audio and the channel seperation is fine, but the main benefits are clarity and dynamic range. If you haven't heard it, you should try it sometime.

This is correct. The sound quality difference between CD audio (16 bit) and DVD audio (24 bit) is noticable. I listened to the Acura TL system and was VERY impressed.

The availability of DVD audio dics is, of course, limited..... but, like DVD video and HDTV, the standard will soon become more predominate.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 11 2005, 11:28 AM
DVD Audio isn't just about 6 channel sound-- it has a much higher bit density and doesn't suffer from the compression distortion that you get from conventional CDs. I have an Acura TL with DVD audio and the channel seperation is fine, but the main benefits are clarity and dynamic range. If you haven't heard it, you should try it sometime.

This is correct. The sound quality difference between CD audio (16 bit) and DVD audio (24 bit) is noticable. I listened to the Acura TL system and was VERY impressed.

The availability of DVD audio dics is, of course, limited..... but, like DVD video and HDTV, the standard will soon become more predominate.
[snapback]127048[/snapback]
I would disagree but this is certainly not the focus of the thread but there is every reason to believe that DVD-A will not takeoff. The market is VERY limited. Joe 6 pack does not notice the difference. There are competing DVD formats. There is no difference at all with an average stereo system.

Look at satellite radio. It sounds pretty bad but it is taking off. MP3 format also sounds worse than CD but it is becoming the standard. People don't care that much about audio quality. Video quality is another story.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 11 2005, 11:09 AM
? I feel the L7 is worth the price due to it's overall excellent sound and it's total integration (and warranty) that goes along with it.

[snapback]127012[/snapback]
...i agree that its one of the best stock systems, i just am annoyed that BMW is again ripping us off... e60 owners are basically paying $1800 for a cd changer

... the e90 330i has this system included for free (less the cd changer), so BMW NA is just milking us again as they know we will have to pay for it.. plus we add sat radio and thats another $600 when the TL includes it free as well... its just annoying to know they are ripping us off so much over the little things and we have to take it with a smile
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 11 2005, 10:57 AM
You can't compare a stock to an aftermarket system. IMHO, the L7 sounds a lot richer and cleaner compared to any aftermarket system. I used to have a $1,500+ aftermarket system in my Honda Accord? but I don't think that was even close to the L7 in quality.

That is absolutely incorrect. I could spend the amount of money that the Logic 7 costs and build a system that is a significant improvement in quality of sound. The unfortunate part is, the E60 design makes this difficult because of the dash layout and integration of computers, iDrive, etc...

Aftermarket does not just mean more power. The quality of the components is better, as well. (depending on what you get, of course) Ultimately it comes down to your system design. Yes you can spend $1500 on an aftermarket system and it can still sound like crap. But if you know a little bit about the subject, you can spend a small amount and make a fabulous system.

But your point about the Logic 7 being richer and cleaner than any aftermarket system is absolutely ridiculous. It's clear to me your position has been formed with some level of ignorance on the subject of car audio, and particularly high-end audio.... so its somewhat understandable how you might make that conclusion.

I have had competition quality audio systems in my previous 3 vehicles.... and can tell you that by comparison the Logic 7 is completely outclassed. But, at the same time.... it's not a fair comparison because the Logic 7 is OEM. But this was my whole point made above.... Logic 7 is good by OEM standards (which are very low standards). It is not good compared to a decent aftermarket system.
[snapback]127037[/snapback]
I agree with you in some points regarding the different levels of aftermarket systems. And i'm not arguing with you about who knows about Audio systems more, but I can tell you from my experiences, being part of two car clubs in the past here in New Jersey, gone to many custom car competitions which included audio mods, visual mods, etc. etc., I can say that pound for pound, the L7 is a better system. I have heard systems that cost $10,000 - $20,000 that blow the L7 away (its not even a comparison) but for the money and the QUALITY I haven't heard a better system. If you are an audiofile guy then I can understand your strong standpoint but looking at it from a layman person, L7 would beat out an aftermarket system that costs the same. Remember my friend, more bass does not mean better!!

You have your opinions and I have mine....accept it!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

FYI my new 1800-watt system is now in. It makes mincemeat out of what I had in my Lexus (which was an excellent aftermarket system), and it beats the Logic7 with an ugly stick and makes it cry like a little girl. (It should for $9500). Details and pics after I get my car back from the dealer with the aux input installed.

Quick Reply: Logic 7 : it beats!