E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Locking key inside-is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by gabman' post='208253' date='Dec 7 2005, 06:58 AM
And I want to be able to lock my key in the car and cannot!!!!

Here's the deal, my car sits outside all day in the winter and on certain days the temperature can go down to -30 Celcius. With my past cars, I keep the spare key on me in the winter so that I can warm up my car
for 10 or 15 mins before I am ready to leave the office. I would start the car with spare key and then lock everything and return to the office until the car warmed up. We have our own parking lot, so I am not that worried about someone breaking into the car and stealing it, and my car is parked adjacent to the front door, with large windows to keep watch.

Unfortunately, I cannot do this with my E60 as the car will not lock while a key is in the ignition. I have not explored trying to trick the car as I am afraid with all the computerized features, that my car will get pissed off at me and never let me back in.

I have pondered getting a remote starter which I previously had in one of my cars and loved having it but I am concerned about the compatability of a remote starter with the E60.

Is anyone using a remote starter?

You really shouldnt be warming up the car for 15-20mins acording to BMWNA. You are supposed to start it up and drive slowly till the rpm meter drops.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I can, and did happen to me.
I was putting out an "open house" sign at an intersection and somehow the car locked with the keys in the ignition.
Oh, did I mention the car was RUNNING!!!
I got BMW Assist on the phone and after spending 10 minutes going through verification and info, etc. she was kind enough to inform me that they can't unlock the car remotely.
I was Pissed!!!
I had to get a ride to my house 15 minutes away (30 min round trip) to get my other key. The car was idling at the intersection the whole time.

Ever since then I carry the little plastic spare key in my wallet.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='208365

Here's the deal, my car sits outside all day in the winter and on certain days the temperature can go down to -30 Celcius. With my past cars, I keep the spare key on me in the winter so that I can warm up my car
for 10 or 15 mins before I am ready to leave the office. I would start the car with spare key and then lock everything and return to the office until the car warmed up. We have our own parking lot, so I am not that worried about someone breaking into the car and stealing it, and my car is parked adjacent to the front door, with large windows to keep watch.

Unfortunately, I cannot do this with my E60 as the car will not lock while a key is in the ignition. I have not explored trying to trick the car as I am afraid with all the computerized features, that my car will get pissed off at me and never let me back in.

I have pondered getting a remote starter which I previously had in one of my cars and loved having it but I am concerned about the compatability of a remote starter with the E60.

You really shouldnt be warming up the car for 15-20mins acording to BMWNA. You are supposed to start it up and drive slowly till the rpm meter drops.
[/quote]

Have you ever had the pleasure of driving a car that has been sitting outside for 10 hours in - 30 degree temperature? Notwithstanding what BMW reccomends, it takes at least 10 minutes to defrost the both the front and rear windows. Good thing I lease my cars, rather be warm by letting the heater's do their thing.
I really do not think that BMWNA had sub zero temperatures in mind when they recommended just driving away.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Members

So I had a nightmare scenario on Friday -- I was dropping off a colleague at the airport and was triple parked outside the airport departure lanes. With the key in the ignition and the car still running, I pressed the central lock/unlock button to unlock the rear doors and simultaneously opened the driver's and front passenger's doors (we both left the car at the same time). I heard a nasty grinding noise from the driver's side door as I opened my door but the door lock was still in the unlocked position. I closed my door to prevent getting hit by other cars and 3 seconds later after both of us had closed our doors -- the DOORS ALL LOCKED WITH THE ENGINE STILL RUNNING.

I called my dealer who refered me to BMW Assist who then referred me to roadside assistance. They cannot remote unlock doors; they cannot dispatch someone to unlock the car. The best they could offer was to send a tow truck that could bring the car to a BMW center, order a key, and open the car which they said would take at least two days.

Fortunately, my wife was 20 minutes away and was able to get me a key... but this should not have happened! If my wife was not around, my car would have been towed with the engine still running and my colleague would have missed his flight. What would have happened if my 12 month old son was strapped into the back seat while all this was occuring???

I am so upset but I don't know what I can do. I would appreciate any real advice anyone has about this.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I also "slam" my trunk and my key I put in the trunk when I change shoes but luckily I was fast to reopen the trunk and car was not locked. I use now my M drivers vallet there you have a sec compartement for plastic spare key I wear my keys in my kneck but when open the trunk and lay in the trunk for sg. afraid to scratch it and then I used to put my keys in the trunk :'( not anymore.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by GenoInDC' post='250090' date='Mar 5 2006, 09:25 AM
So I had a nightmare scenario on Friday -- I was dropping off a colleague at the airport and was triple parked outside the airport departure lanes. With the key in the ignition and the car still running, I pressed the central lock/unlock button to unlock the rear doors and simultaneously opened the driver's and front passenger's doors (we both left the car at the same time). I heard a nasty grinding noise from the driver's side door as I opened my door but the door lock was still in the unlocked position. I closed my door to prevent getting hit by other cars and 3 seconds later after both of us had closed our doors -- the DOORS ALL LOCKED WITH THE ENGINE STILL RUNNING.

I called my dealer who refered me to BMW Assist who then referred me to roadside assistance. They cannot remote unlock doors; they cannot dispatch someone to unlock the car. The best they could offer was to send a tow truck that could bring the car to a BMW center, order a key, and open the car which they said would take at least two days.

Fortunately, my wife was 20 minutes away and was able to get me a key... but this should not have happened! If my wife was not around, my car would have been towed with the engine still running and my colleague would have missed his flight. What would have happened if my 12 month old son was strapped into the back seat while all this was occuring???

I am so upset but I don't know what I can do. I would appreciate any real advice anyone has about this.

Thanks!
Sounds like what haapened to me.
Don't have the solution except to carry the plastic key in my wallet.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='208253' date='Dec 7 2005, 06:58 AM

I figured out a way around this. Start the car. Role the window down. Close the door. Hit the central lock button. Pull up on the window switch and you have now locked yourself out of the car. To get back in you nned to insert the spare key into the door and turn it. Works great though.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Sapphire Black 545i, Auburn interior, PDC, Fold-down rear seats, Nav, Premium sound

Originally Posted by zippers525' post='250306' date='Mar 5 2006, 06:09 PM
I figured out a way around this. Start the car. Role the window down. Close the door. Hit the central lock button. Pull up on the window switch and you have now locked yourself out of the car. To get back in you nned to insert the spare key into the door and turn it. Works great though.
isnt there that option to set a timer for when to turn on the heater automatically in the AM?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GenoInDC' post='250090' date='Mar 5 2006, 05:25 PM
[...]
With the key in the ignition and the car still running, I pressed the central lock/unlock button to unlock the rear doors and simultaneously opened the driver's and front passenger's doors (we both left the car at the same time). I heard a nasty grinding noise from the driver's side door as I opened my door but the door lock was still in the unlocked position. I closed my door to prevent getting hit by other cars and 3 seconds later after both of us had closed our doors -- the DOORS ALL LOCKED WITH THE ENGINE STILL RUNNING.

[...]
Thanks!
EXACTLY my story...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=269025
Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='208409' date='Dec 7 2005, 11:59 PM
Have you ever had the pleasure of driving a car that has been sitting outside for 10 hours in - 30 degree temperature? Notwithstanding what BMW reccomends, it takes at least 10 minutes to defrost the both the front and rear windows. Good thing I lease my cars, rather be warm by letting the heater's do their thing.
I really do not think that BMWNA had sub zero temperatures in mind when they recommended just driving away.
Stationary heating with the remote is the option for your next car. I have it and works great without starting the engine. It still runs on tank fuel but does not start the engine.

Quick Reply: Locking key inside-is it possible?