E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Locking key inside-is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

I have a question:is it possible(unintentionally of course) to lock your car key inside?i always thought it's quite impossible,however ,having read this latest Autoweek article i am confused...they are saying they locked themselves out with key in ignition and engine running?(test car was 545 6 sp us spec)This is a potentially nightmare scenario,i once locked my key in the trunk(was using trunk release function)was not pleasant experience.Anybody?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

read this guys thread...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19231
Old 12-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='207920' date='Dec 6 2005, 11:24 AM
yeah,this is key in the trunk thing,happened to me too(read my first post),but i am talking about KEY in IGNITION with engine running-this article seems to state just that-i do not believe it's possible inintentionally,is it? please read second column second paragraph
Attached Thumbnails Locking key inside-is it possible?-scan1.jpg  
Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

YEP IT DID HAPPEN TO ME !!!! with key in the ignition. I have the Idrive automatic door lock if moving ON. so my doors were locked I did stop to go get something out of my trunk and shut the engine off. That is where the doors do unlock itself. But I was in a rush and that is where the tricky part comes on!!! I opened the locked door with one hand and pushed the button on the dash with the other hand at the same time so the system got confused - which I found out later. So I got out of the car with and closed the door to go to the trunk. Closed the trunk and wanted to get back inside. BUT the car was locked totaly!!!! Because I pressed the unlocking button on the dash at the same time while turning off the ignition where the doors were actually unlocked automaticaly. So it was like on and off on for the car.
Luckily I was like 15 mins from my house so I went for the spare key and opened the car!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

And I want to be able to lock my key in the car and cannot!!!!

Here's the deal, my car sits outside all day in the winter and on certain days the temperature can go down to -30 Celcius. With my past cars, I keep the spare key on me in the winter so that I can warm up my car
for 10 or 15 mins before I am ready to leave the office. I would start the car with spare key and then lock everything and return to the office until the car warmed up. We have our own parking lot, so I am not that worried about someone breaking into the car and stealing it, and my car is parked adjacent to the front door, with large windows to keep watch.

Unfortunately, I cannot do this with my E60 as the car will not lock while a key is in the ignition. I have not explored trying to trick the car as I am afraid with all the computerized features, that my car will get pissed off at me and never let me back in.

I have pondered getting a remote starter which I previously had in one of my cars and loved having it but I am concerned about the compatability of a remote starter with the E60.

Is anyone using a remote starter?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by gabman' post='208253' date='Dec 7 2005, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately, I cannot do this with my E60 as the car will not lock while a key is in the ignition. I have not explored trying to trick the car as I am afraid with all the computerized features, that my car will get pissed off at me and never let me back in.
this sounds funny as if the car will come to life but scary though
Old 12-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Locked both keys and the spare inside the car the first night I had it.

Actually, I should say 2 year old and 4 year old locked themselves in the car with all the keys. They thought it was funny. The funny part was that in everyother car the door unlock in the car has been on the door, but not daddy's new car. It took a few minutes and a lot of flashing lights to get them to let me in.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Members

that's what i am talking about! You can not lock your car with key in ignition unless you do some tricks to it!
So,what are they talking about in this article?-almost makes me believe they did not have this car for testing and just wrote this up!Please somebody prove me wrong...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by alexnyc' post='208296' date='Dec 7 2005, 09:38 AM
that's what i am talking about! You can not lock your car with key in ignition unless you do some tricks to it!
So,what are they talking about in this article?-almost makes me believe they did not have this car for testing and just wrote this up!Please somebody prove me wrong...

as I mentioned, I locked the car (well the car did) with the key in the ignition. But the engine was off. Ignition all the way to 0(stop) position.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='208297

as I mentioned, I locked the car (well the car did) with the key in the ignition. But the engine was off. Ignition all the way to 0(stop) position.
[/quote]
Euro spec cars have a bit diff setup-for instance when you come to a full stop and turn ignition off -doors are unlocking(correct me if i wrong),here in US it's not so...besides the fact that in this article the engine was running...

this is getting interesting...i just tried to lock the car with central locking button while driver's door is wide open-impossible! makes me think they COOKED THIS ARTICLE UP !

Quick Reply: Locking key inside-is it possible?