E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Loaded 550i or Stripper M5

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='232680' date='Jan 31 2006, 06:19 PM
Agree but for sure SMG. My preference.
Didn't know manual is out there yet anyway. I think you'll have to wait alot more for the manual. But what for?
I think the SMG is a great concept, but I don't want my car to think so much for me, and I am not yet convinced that the SMG would work to my satisfaction. Plus, in the US, we get the watered-down acceleration assistant thing (can't remember what to call it right now--oh, launch control). More generally, our cars are getting so bogged down in software and so "over-technologized" that one almost has to push a button to stop and go to the restroom. The manual will be out soon. I will be thinking seriously about getting a manual when I get out of the 545i. But, I am going to be watching closely to see how the US versions perform and what its foibles are. Also, I would have trouble staying away from the new Z06 when my next car comes around.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

I say 550i living in NY M5....great choice if we had the Autobahn in the US.
Are you asking because you are debating or just because?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530iii' post='232597' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:57 AM
If you had to decide between an M5 stripper or loaded 550i which would you pull the trigger on?

Or would you go for a stripper 650i or stripper 750i?

Oh man, i feel like a kid in a candy store!

I had that choice and went for 550i two weeks ago.

If you drive race tracks at weekends, do power slides, drive twisty country roads and drive at high engine revs most of time - the M5 is the car and one of the best in the world for this use. SMG and torque curve really don't seem suited to primarily city driving - it's an open road car.

If you drive round town, and occasionally press on a bit with country trips, or cruise on freeways - and mostly in traffic, occasionally open road - then the 550i is it.

This is one the best sports sedans ever built for everyday road use - imho.

Road testers drive around doing tyre spinning opposite lock power slides on $700 tyres - no one I know who owns the car and pays for tyres does this. The way teseters assess sports sedans is not the way most poeople would drive oin any public road I'm sure.

Anyway - that was my thinking - and I know for me the 550i was the answer.

Each to their own though - maybe you are a tyre spinning, opposite lock power slider - if so - get the M5.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='232784' date='Jan 31 2006, 06:49 PM
I think the SMG is a great concept, but I don't want my car to think so much for me, and I am not yet convinced that the SMG would work to my satisfaction. Plus, in the US, we get the watered-down acceleration assistant thing (can't remember what to call it right now--oh, launch control). More generally, our cars are getting so bogged down in software and so "over-technologized" that one almost has to push a button to stop and go to the restroom. The manual will be out soon. I will be thinking seriously about getting a manual when I get out of the 545i. But, I am going to be watching closely to see how the US versions perform and what its foibles are. Also, I would have trouble staying away from the new Z06 when my next car comes around.
SMG is great technology, but I find that a manual is just more satisfying and fun to drive. We have a M3 in the family and decided on SMG so my fiance could drive it. I can drive it smoothly and it is still a joy to drive, but I think a regular manual would make it even more enjoyable.

With that said, if I could choose a transmission for the M5, I would get SMG. The car was designed with SMG in mind, so I think some performance will be lost with a manual. Not sure how the ratios work, but 7 as opposed to 6 with a manual will always allow you to be in the sweet spot. Something even more important since the M5 is not big on torque. About the euro launch control, well it be nice to have, but doesn't it void your warranty after a certain number of uses? The US version may be watered down, but if it's anything like the M3, you can use it as much as you want without worrying about warranty. And who knows, you may be one of those lifelong manual drivers who becomes a SMG convert. You never know if you don't try it.

But yeah, if I was in the market for a Z06 and more concerned with performance, I'd get that. Or perhaps the e90 M3 or infiniti GTR when those come out. BTW, don't forget to sell me your dinan stuff when you upgrade.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi - Titanium Silver

Depends what you're looking for - both are hot and excellent choices... m5 - raw power and big cahones. 550i lots of power and more geared towards comfort. Either way you can't go wrong!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

Is there such a thing as a stripped M5? Oxymoron?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Originally Posted by HHP' post='232746' date='Jan 31 2006, 06:23 PM
loaded 550 of course!!
oooh, I do like strippers...wife wouldn't like me to bring one home though. I'd go loaded 550i.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Stripped M5.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='232797
With that said, if I could choose a transmission for the M5, I would get SMG. The car was designed with SMG in mind, so I think some performance will be lost with a manual. Not sure how the ratios work, but 7 as opposed to 6 with a manual will always allow you to be in the sweet spot. Something even more important since the M5 is not big on torque.
You could be right about the performance loss. It will depend on the rear in the manual at least partially. And, yes, I have always been concerned about the M5's lack of torque--thinking that I might be disappointed with it.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='232797
But yeah, if I was in the market for a Z06 and more concerned with performance, I'd get that. Or perhaps the e90 M3 or infiniti GTR when those come out. BTW, don't forget to sell me your dinan stuff when you upgrade.
I also am quite interested in the e90 M3; it would be a nice complement to my current Z06. You will know if I end up with parts to sell. I won't be uninstalling the throttle body. And, as you probably know, I have put the Dinan CAI off indefinitely--seeing if my car comes back from the 20.01.00 install. The B&B would be the only thing to go in that case. Although, at some point, I may be disposing of my 101's and PS2's.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Money asside...the M5 all the way.

Quick Reply: Loaded 550i or Stripper M5