E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Listen to this Runflat Nightmare..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s_henge' post='397654' date='Mar 2 2007, 05:49 PM
... what do you do if you get a puncture?
If you have to use a donut, you will at least get a bootful of very dirty tyre which won't fit in the well.

ABC
Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
gpt
Senior Members

As with most tires, isn't there a treadlife expectancy on the side of the Dunlop tires? What do they claim the expectancy to be?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by gpt' post='397663' date='Mar 2 2007, 05:57 PM
As with most tires, isn't there a treadlife expectancy on the side of the Dunlop tires? What do they claim the expectancy to be?

A useless guide, it only acts as a comparator between tyres from the same manufacturer, it cannot be used to compare with others or predict a life for the tyre.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Members

I can not stand RFT's. They suck. I replaced the RFTs on my 545i-6speed with Toyo Proxes. I have these on my S6 and love them. They have a AA treadwear rating. Not bad for a ZR rated tire. These tires are a lot cheaper than those crappy runflats. If you lose the runflats then buy the spare tire kit for your car.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by strobeguy' post='397383' date='Mar 1 2007, 05:22 PM
I have not posted in quite some time but this one is a good one.

I took my car in today for a tire issue. I had my first set of runflats replaced about a year ago. When they replaced them I did not want the runflats but was told I had no choice. I was also told that is there was any other issues they would take care of it. Well today I was called by the dealer only for him to tell me I needed new tires. I directed him to the service bulletin which outlines the replacement of the runflats. I was told that my issue was exactly as the service bulletin outlines but that they will not warranty a second set. When I asked why I was told.... get ready.. "because". Of course I asked " because why" and asked him where on the service bulletin is states this. I was basically told to pick up my car or buy new tires. When I told them I did not feel safe driving the car and wanted something in writing stating it was safe to drive they told be "no way". So I called BMW NA and spoke to some jerk named Jeremy who basically told me the same thing. Even worst he had a piss poor attitude. I finally called Dunlap and told them the issues I was having and they asked that I bring the car to the local dealer. 3 hours later I received a call letting me know they were addressing the issue and that they would be warrantying the tires.

I was actually looking at and M5 but I hate BMW Service and the BMW NA group. The last time my car was in they put 5, yes 5 computers in the car and stated they were all bad. Finally I had a friend make some calls and it turned out they were programming them wrong.

I would expect that when you spend 50000 on a car that simple service would not be an issue...
Strobeguy (and everyone else who OEM Dunlop runflats in USA), There is NO limitation placed on how many times you have the runflats replaced. Just make sure you're under 20K on the set and all the other criteria is met.

When my second set started to roar I got the same pushback. I insisted that my SA go up the ladder as it is clear in the SIB that it doesnt indicate "one replacement set only". They agreed.

Sucks we have to scream to have the local dealers follow their companies stated guidelines.

My guess is that some dealers want to play God, and maybe also BMW didnt forsee those of us who are informed to use this SIB more than once. Fact is, the tires are damn noisy after 7-10K and they recognized it and formally addressed it, with a band -aid

I have my third set on now, and was told in no uncertain terms that when this set starts to roar, come on back and they will do it again.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

My runflats are really getting loud. I thought was winter and cold but was 60* today. 'm just under a year and 6000 miles. Can anyone direct me to the correct service bulletin so I can share with dealer and SA? thx.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='397873' date='Mar 2 2007, 10:26 PM
My runflats are really getting loud. I thought was winter and cold but was 60* today. 'm just under a year and 6000 miles. Can anyone direct me to the correct service bulletin so I can share with dealer and SA? thx.
BUMP - anyone?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by 545i now' post='397869' date='Mar 2 2007, 10:13 PM
Strobeguy (and everyone else who OEM Dunlop runflats in USA), There is NO limitation placed on how many times you have the runflats replaced. Just make sure you're under 20K on the set and all the other criteria is met.

When my second set started to roar I got the same pushback. I insisted that my SA go up the ladder as it is clear in the SIB that it doesnt indicate "one replacement set only". They agreed.

Sucks we have to scream to have the local dealers follow their companies stated guidelines.

My guess is that some dealers want to play God, and maybe also BMW didnt forsee those of us who are informed to use this SIB more than once. Fact is, the tires are damn noisy after 7-10K and they recognized it and formally addressed it, with a band -aid

I have my third set on now, and was told in no uncertain terms that when this set starts to roar, come on back and they will do it again.
On my 2nd set. Love my RFT's
cheers
vern
Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='398287' date='Mar 4 2007, 05:23 AM
BUMP - anyone?
Here 'ya go;

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B360205g.htm
Old 03-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545i now' post='398549' date='Mar 5 2007, 12:56 AM
Thanks - any idea if this covers bridgestone runflats as well or just dunlop? I have bridgestone.

Quick Reply: Listen to this Runflat Nightmare..