E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Liquid sloshing sound. Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

You should be able to look under the door for the drains.

Unbend a coat hanger and insert into the drain hole a couple time to allow the dirt and crud to move out of the way and wait for the flood of yucky water. Do this soon or the door will rust out from the inside out.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycal3
It was November 30/Dec 1st, and we were getting hammered by a massive rainstorm here in the northeast, and I was parked at work all day outside. I got in my car at 4:30p to drive home and started the car only to get a series or error messages from active steering to dynamic drive/transmission fault etc... by the time I got home (usually a 45 minute commute)my dash was lit up like a xmas tree and my car was in "limp home mode"... to make a long story short, the drains under the ebox (which is under the passenger side cabin filter area) were backed up and the excess water - alot of it - had nowhere to go but into the modules in the ebox and then into the passenger compartment of my car. I removed over 8" of water from the interior passenger side of my 545... the subwoofer, computer module, carpeting and padding, and a ton of other things were completely fried.

Here is the link to my thread: My flooded 545...

The bad is I know once electronics and water play together the car may never be the same... the good is that USAA is covering it and mostly if not everything is being replaced. And of course the drains will be completely cleaned out. I have had a loaner 328 since last Wednesday and my car should be ready by Thursday.

Good luck finding the cause... I hope its nothing serious.

I think the ebox is the same as the plenum chamber, it is prone to flooding when drain holes get blocked. Yes, a palm could block the drain, even dust and grime could do it.

You mentioned you have a sun-roof, there is plenty of information on here about problems with those leaking and not draining. If you feel strongly, it's coming from there, then it probably is because they have know drainage problems (just google it or search on here - plenty of guidance / advice to be found).

But..sounds in a car can be difficult to locate. I was once convinced a rattle was coming from rear parcel shelf, in fact it was right next to me in the b pillar. Good luck and let know the outcome.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I took the door off and hung it upside down. It's still hanging on the clothesline. it will sit there for 24 hours until it screams 'uncle'
Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I took the door off and hung it upside down. It's still hanging on the clothesline. it will sit there for 24 hours until it screams 'uncle'
I would like to see that. Post a pic dude!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

Liquid sloshing sound. Opinions Needed-94566_5.jpg
Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
A sense of humor ... helps ease some of the pain
Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 PM
New Members

I have a 2004 530, and just had the same problem that you described...water in the door.

It's been driving me CRAZY for a few weeks, I go nuts over this sort of thing, water sloshing around. Like a bathtub!

I was searching all the boards about sunroof drain holes, but there was no problem there.

Net-net, today I finally figured out the sloshing was from the rear passenger door. I pulled out the drain plug on the bottom of the door and a HUGE amount of water drained out...freaked me out!

I'm not one to take to door off like you...have you had any recurring problems since this event. Is there a drain hole that you cleared? Has the water problem come back? Have you determined the source of the problem (seal etc)? Any problems with the electrical components in this door?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Senior Members

I did not take the door off, it was a joke. It was my rear passenger side door. keep shaking it back and forth and more and more water will come. Yes it happens still after HEAVY rains and kept outside.. I kept the drain plug out of that door. WIth it out it still holds water with heavy rains and I just open the door and it drains. I don't know the reason but I assume it's the little window seal. Car is garaged most of the time home or at office. No issues with electricals water does not come into contact with them
Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM
New Members

Yes, we just had another storm and it filled back up!! Then I seemed to get it to start draining by shaking it back and forth and running my hand along the bottom weatherstripping...except it then drained into my rear passenger footwell! I've had the car for 5 years and live in a rainy climate, car is parked outdoors...but this is the first year this has happened. I guess I've got to check those window seals...but it was my expectation that the car has to be designed to accommodate water draining down the window into the door, right? There's gotta be a regular drain hole somewhere?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: '04 530i

Had this same issue with my 2004 530i. Water from hurricane Sandy flooded the tire well and fried the MPM module, also took out the radio. Thanks to USAA they covered all but the deductible. Dealer said water came in from rivets located either side of trunk hinge. They said they replaced the rivets?? That doesn't explain the water / rust stains on the headliner at left rear passenger side. Who ever heard of replacing rivets? Are there drains for the sunroof?

Alan

Quick Reply: Liquid sloshing sound. Opinions Needed