E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid sloshing sound. Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I've been noticing for a few months now that when i stop at a red light or take off abruptly that i hear a liquid sloshing sound. Sounds like i have a bathtub in my car! At first i thought it was my gas tank but now I'm not so sure. I have the windows rolled up and I can actually hear a some sort of water back and forth. I didn't hear this until recently and I'm a little concerned as i read some people saying that they had water collecting in the roof area and failure to drain etc etc. Perhaps it's my gas tank...I'm not sure. Has anyone else heard their gastank from inside the vehicle? Anyone experienced this issue? What are you opinions? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

And you looked in your spare tire well?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I havent heard my gas tank, and a failure to drain was my issue if you recall the thread about my flood... but I dont think the water would collect enough to "slosh" before seeping in somewhere. Although it wasnt the roof area that failed to drain for me, it was the drain under the ebox.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Take out that spare tire and have a looky.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I've been noticing for a few months now that when i stop at a red light or take off abruptly that i hear a liquid sloshing sound. Sounds like i have a bathtub in my car! At first i thought it was my gas tank but now I'm not so sure. I have the windows rolled up and I can actually hear a some sort of water back and forth. I didn't hear this until recently and I'm a little concerned as i read some people saying that they had water collecting in the roof area and failure to drain etc etc. Perhaps it's my gas tank...I'm not sure. Has anyone else heard their gastank from inside the vehicle? Anyone experienced this issue? What are you opinions? Thanks!
Never heard gas tank slosh even when down to the last couple of gallons. But, whatever it is and wherever it is it's NOT a good sign. Check the spare tire well and the area under your battery too. Those are known problem areas and if left unattended will cause electrical nightmares.

That said, if you're in in the NE USA ... everything that's water, is frozen?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Sorry, yes i forgot to mention.....Trunk is CLEAR of liquids. I swear it sounds like the backseat or maybe the roof.

keep them coming........
Old 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I havent heard my gas tank, and a failure to drain was my issue if you recall the thread about my flood... but I dont think the water would collect enough to "slosh" before seeping in somewhere. Although it wasnt the roof area that failed to drain for me, it was the drain under the ebox.
Had that happen on E46 but not enough to cause any issue. Where on the E60 did this happen for you? Weird because in the Sunshine state there hasn't been too much rain recently in the past few months so I haven't driven through much. Where did you notice the water first and how did you access it?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

check for water bottle underneath your seat

but seriously, can you pin point what area the sloshing sound is coming from? rear driver side? rear passenger side? etc....
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
check for water bottle underneath your seat

but seriously, can you pin point what area the sloshing sound is coming from? rear driver side? rear passenger side? etc....
No joke but I had that happen before and it really was a half empty water bottle. Not saying this may be the case for you, but what I'm getting at is don't completely rule out all suggestions.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

What about the battery area?

Quick Reply: Liquid sloshing sound. Opinions Needed