E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Liquid sloshing sound. Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

AC/Heater ducts?

Make sure the water that drains into the Micro filter area can drain. Each filter box has a drain and flap for the water to exit down into the fender area.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
check for water bottle underneath your seat
but seriously, can you pin point what area the sloshing sound is coming from? rear driver side? rear passenger side? etc....

Ok....LOL I will check for water bottles. I've been pretty good on that because they've been known to set off aibag sensors underneath the seats on previous vehicles so i've grown habit to not throwing water bottles around. BUT i will double check in a few.... I feel its coming from the rear passenger side....why i was thinking gas tank.

TRUNK is a complete negative. I made sure and in fact since it's all ripped out I am going to relocate that little MPM.

A/C Heater ducts.....well interesting because this sound came about a month or so ago. Just last week i replaced my charcoal filters and cleaned/rinsed the dirty ducts....however I did not take the duct out to see if there is water underneath. I may check that out too. Come to think of it, I live in an Oak area and we do get a lot of tiny oak leaves. when those collect under the hood, where do they drain to? Usually i blast them out with the hose but some get lost and I assume they go down a drain and perhaps they're collecting? I DOUBT they would hold standing water though.

Where are all the drain points on this vehicle?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is one of three things:

(1) water in the door, between the outer skin and the inner linner. There are little drain holes in the bottom of the door that can get blocked meaning water build-up in the inner door from water running down the window seal. It can slosh around pretty bad.

(2)Plenum chamber, this is the space right under the windscreen just below the wiper blades, again water should drain out but the drain holes can get blocked and the space fills with water - VW Passatts are particularly prone to this problem.

(3) Air conditioning drain hose blocked, so condensation building up and sloshing around.

Also, check your carpets are dry, this is difficult because there is so much sound absorbing material under the carpet that you could have a river under there and the carpets would still feel dry, you need to lift them to really feel if it's dry.

Do you park under a tree by any chance ? that is dropping leaves etc over the car, this usually blocks drain holes.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Had a problem in the E46 with rear passenger carpet being a bit "damp" before. I do not feel the any dampness at all nor do i smell the "smell", where is the A/C drain hose located exactly? When I turn on the A/C I do get condensation roll-off.....

I park close to a palm tree but i don't think that's an issue. I do get the occasional oak blow-off though.

There is no water bottle, I triple checked.....I am leaning more toward the rear passenger door since I feel it's coming from that area and the door rattles a bit I've noticed. These are all very helpful and i'll go down a checklist this weekend.

I feel like it could be in the roof area but I'm sure it would be leaking in. I barely open the sunroof, but when i do it works fine.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Had that happen on E46 but not enough to cause any issue. Where on the E60 did this happen for you? Weird because in the Sunshine state there hasn't been too much rain recently in the past few months so I haven't driven through much. Where did you notice the water first and how did you access it?
It was November 30/Dec 1st, and we were getting hammered by a massive rainstorm here in the northeast, and I was parked at work all day outside. I got in my car at 4:30p to drive home and started the car only to get a series or error messages from active steering to dynamic drive/transmission fault etc... by the time I got home (usually a 45 minute commute)my dash was lit up like a xmas tree and my car was in "limp home mode"... to make a long story short, the drains under the ebox (which is under the passenger side cabin filter area) were backed up and the excess water - alot of it - had nowhere to go but into the modules in the ebox and then into the passenger compartment of my car. I removed over 8" of water from the interior passenger side of my 545... the subwoofer, computer module, carpeting and padding, and a ton of other things were completely fried.

Here is the link to my thread: My flooded 545...

The bad is I know once electronics and water play together the car may never be the same... the good is that USAA is covering it and mostly if not everything is being replaced. And of course the drains will be completely cleaned out. I have had a loaner 328 since last Wednesday and my car should be ready by Thursday.

Good luck finding the cause... I hope its nothing serious.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

right side drivers side door!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
right side drivers side door!

Can you explain your theory? It doesn't make sense right side driver's door. Are you in the U.K. ? Did you mean passenger door? In any case, please explain why you think this? I'm not downplaying your answer, I'm just trying to understand and pinpoint it. Of course accoustics can be deceptive especially in this car. I learned from the metal sunroof vibration.

jaycal3 - I remember your story well. Quite an adventure you had.

Keep them coming..............
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

Well gentleman it appears that my rear passenger side has been collecting water. I finally did a stop/go several times then got out and violently shook the door. Yep that's it. Perhaps she's been trying to be proactive with the recent drought. is there a filler plug or something to drain or am I in for a door panel upgrade...........I've been meaning to take all the panels off, re-paint the black window bezels, foam insulate the panels with sound deadener type foam and fasten them nice and snug. Of course i will do all this while the battery is disconnected.

Anybody have this issue? Did you vacuum it out? I'm not worried about getting it out as much as what I must do to prevent this.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

is there a filler plug or something to drain
I would be interested to know where all the drains are located to check/clean out.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

Can you explain your theory? It doesn't make sense right side driver's door. Are you in the U.K. ? Did you mean passenger door? In any case, please explain why you think this? I'm not downplaying your answer, I'm just trying to understand and pinpoint it. Of course accoustics can be deceptive especially in this car. I learned from the metal sunroof vibration.

jaycal3 - I remember your story well. Quite an adventure you had.

Keep them coming..............
Lol sorry I was drinking, when I looked at my response I started laughing .....I meant right side rear passenger door.

Quick Reply: Liquid sloshing sound. Opinions Needed