E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Left low beam malfunction 2008 5281

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Which headlight do you have opened? The drivers side? The pic looks to me as this would be the bulb for the turn lights. these bulb, and the ae bulbs can be changed with light still in car. I was wrong earlier, to get to the main headlight bulb you need to pull the entire light unit out since the door has to hinge down. But to be sure, turn on head lights and stand in front of your car and look at the lights. There should be one illuminated inside each headlight. The one headlight that is NOT illuminated place a piece of tape on the outer lens and follow it straight back to the backside of the headlight. You should see a rectangular cover. Inside this will be your main headlight bulb. You will have to remove the headlight unit to get to the back cover to change out the bulb. Follow the YOUTUBE above that Jay posted. But honestly, the headlight can be a bit tricky at times to get it back in correctly. It's not hard, but sometimes its doesn't like to cooperate... Then frustration sits in and you will get a headache! Perhaps it's best to run by your dealer or an indy shop and get a quote.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that pic was for drivers side

BTW, I looked at the user manual of 2008 528i from the BMW sit at link below:

Owner's Manual Videos - BMW North America

On page 228 and 229 it says that the door I am talking about is for accessing Low beam light, And also these bulbs are H7 55W, And it doesn't say anywhere that I need to remove the headlight to remove the bulb... Can you also look into this,,,thanks
Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by fatboysam
And it doesn't say anywhere that I need to remove the headlight to remove the bulb... Can you also look into this,,,thanks
Hey dude! Who's car is it anyway? Don't expect people to handhold you without some research on your part. If you do a Google search or use this forum's Search function, you will get a sense of what we've already been telling you. You found out that you most likely have the H7 bulb. That's good. That's progress. But you're most likely not going to be able to remove the bulb easily (especially if you have "fatboysam" hands) without at least loosening the headlight assembly. The YouTube I've provided is for your model year and is for an LCI, so it should be right on for what you need to do at this point.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I believe your have halogens and not xenons. I have xenons, so I can't look at my car to tell you. Xenons also have a xenon warning sticker that says something like beware, you can die from the voltage.

This is how to proceed to determine the right bulb to extract...

1- Turn the lights on.
2 - Look at the lights from the front.
3 - One side works and one side doesn't.
4 - Go to the "door" you found that is behind the light bulb not working.
5 - You don't need to remove the light housing.
6 - Turn the lights off.
7 - Remove that light.

I believe your last picture is the low beam.

a - Unclip the cover from the headlight and pull it back.
b - That exposes the bulb socket.
c - Rotate the bulb socket counterclockwise.
d - Pull it back to remove.
e - Pull the bulb out of the socket.

Installation is the reverse. Be sure you did it right or you'll let water in.

Also wear gloves when handling the glass of the bulb as oils from your finger will damage the bulb.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Members

Thanks a lot everyone, I will first try without removing the headlight, will update when I have the bulbs,,,I ordered this from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2: Automotive
Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Members

Default Update

I just succesfully replaced both the H7 bulbs without opening the whole assembly.... I had to take help of my wife to twist close the bulbs, as my hands were little bit big for that... Thanks again everyone for your help
Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

I undertook this very replacement on Easter Sunday (driver's side HID low beam headlamp replacement). I found this video to be most helpful:

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...ci-e60-107577/

The repair / replacement took < 15 minutes from start to finish. The key is to twist off the cap (which is already removed in the linked video) for ease of access to the hex nuts (a 12" multi-purpose tool was essential as well).

I had to do double duty and removed the right headlight assembly as well due to an adaptive headlamp failure (on the iDrive and a blinking green light switch) warning I was getting AFTER the body shop replaced the HID following a rear end accident my E60 sustained in the ice and snow in February. I figured that the body shop failed to plug something in, and I was correct. Since there was no replacement involved on the RH side and just the reattachment of the smaller and lower power plug, it took not > 5 minutes and I was back in business.

I replaced with an OEM part - a Sylvania HID lamp, which I purchased at the local O'Reilly's auto parts store for $100. I likely could have purchased a less expensive variety on the interwebs, but it sure is awfully convenient having a fully stocked auto parts store 1/2 mile from home.