E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left the ignition key into the switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone Waiting

Hi Guys,

I was having high rate of Battery discharged, i have the car being check by dealer they said thay have not find anything wrong with the car and they reset the car battery and recharge it .

The next day , still same problem and i brought the car back to them again and they kept the car for a week and resend it back to me , they said they have change the battery and update the CAS software and the car should be fine.

Then on the next morning , same problem and then i started to find out by myself and started to disconnect all the accessories i had in the car and part of car electronics also. I.E: Amplifier , DVD , ACM , CDC , Rear cigar Socket, Dension 500,and even CID , thus on next day same problem. Yesterday before going to sleep i remove the key from the car without unlocking it then this morning there was no battery drain message.

My question is the key have any connection when left it in the key switch?

Any suggestion welcom and thanks in advanced.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Hi,

Why do you leave the key in the car overnight in the first place? (rhetorical) Yes, I believe the key prevents the car from going into the Stand By mode, thereby draining your battery, because as long as the key is inserted the car thinks it needs to keep its computers powered up.

Another - more expensive, but simpler - solution could be the alternator. Do you hear any wining noise when you drive by any chance?

I hope you get it all resolved and GL

V
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='979079' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:47 AM
Hi,

Why do you leave the key in the car overnight in the first place? (rhetorical) Yes, I believe the key prevents the car from going into the Stand By mode, thereby draining your battery, because as long as the key is inserted the car thinks it needs to keep its computers powered up.

Another - more expensive, but simpler - solution could be the alternator. Do you hear any wining noise when you drive by any chance?

I hope you get it all resolved and GL

V
Thanks but , when the car engine is not running what does the alternator do with it?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

... even with a key in the ignition slot, it will still go into "sleep mode" after 5 mins. It annoys me a bit when I'm cleaning the car, listening to music and suddenly it stops ...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Contributors

just recheck now no faults , what is happening is the key have a problem or the ignition switch.?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='979108' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:03 AM
just recheck now no faults , what is happening is the key have a problem or the ignition switch.?
very strange
Old 08-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='979076' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:41 AM
Hi Guys,

I was having high rate of Battery discharged, i have the car being check by dealer they said thay have not find anything wrong with the car and they reset the car battery and recharge it .

The next day , still same problem and i brought the car back to them again and they kept the car for a week and resend it back to me , they said they have change the battery and update the CAS software and the car should be fine.

Then on the next morning , same problem and then i started to find out by myself and started to disconnect all the accessories i had in the car and part of car electronics also. I.E: Amplifier , DVD , ACM , CDC , Rear cigar Socket, Dension 500,and even CID , thus on next day same problem. Yesterday before going to sleep i remove the key from the car without unlocking it then this morning there was no battery drain message.

My question is the key have any connection when left it in the key switch?

Any suggestion welcom and thanks in advanced.

Do you usually leave the key inserted overnight? If so, why?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM
sos
Members

Originally Posted by theXman' post='979309' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:52 PM
Indeed, would this not invalidate your insurance if it got stolen. It would here.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theXman' post='979309' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:52 AM
Yes i have always left it in the car as the car is lock in my garage , and i never ever have receive this message before what the key have to do with the battery
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='979437' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:11 AM
Yes i have always left it in the car as the car is lock in my garage , and i never ever have receive this message before what the key have to do with the battery
mauritius is a tiny island in the middle of nowhere! who's gonna steal his car and get away with it? 1.3 mil people, but the 7th largest economy in africa! nice....

Quick Reply: left the ignition key into the switch