E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LED H7 vs Halogen H7

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 10:17 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i 6-spd; 2007 530i Sport
Model Year: 2008

That's the aspect that really pisses me off: I try to do something "simple" to improve/upgrade performance by simply swapping out a light bulb, and I end up with a systemic problem in the adaptive headlight mechanism. If I'd known this would be the outcome, I would have left well enough alone..
Old 09-21-2023, 12:32 PM
New Members

I just ran Carly on the car and it's giving me codes saying "Communication with SMC disrupted, left and right". Could this be as simple as a blown fuse? Unfortunately I cannot locate the fuse number for E60's after 9/2005.
Anyone know the AHC fuse location for cars built after 9/2005?
Old 09-23-2023, 10:18 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2009 528i

Originally Posted by twh
Too late for you, but for anyone stumbling on this thread later this is why I advise to do as LITTLE as possible inside a working headlight. Every movement of the wires, even changing a bulb, is a potential problem.
Is it THAT hard to re-wire the headlight though? I've personally de-pinned connectors and replaced with new one's on other cars, that part's 1+1 levels of simplicity; but I'm curious about the opening of the headlight part.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 194 Likes on 189 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Access panel is easy to remove, then just cover exposed wires with liquid or electrical tape, spiral wire wrap, etc etc.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:21 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Slow E60
Is it THAT hard to re-wire the headlight though? I've personally de-pinned connectors and replaced with new one's on other cars, that part's 1+1 levels of simplicity; but I'm curious about the opening of the headlight part.
I'm sure it is possible, but it is a lot of work. Not worth it to me to change the angel eye color. I've done plenty of rewiring of stuff including my first car with a fire under the hood and hard to rewire almost the entire engine bay. A long time ago and not comparable to a modern car, but still and major PITA. I've changed the angel eyes bulb once in each side and the Xenon's once in each side and just unplugging the wires and moving them gently as possible out of the way to do that caused insulation to break and me to have to coat with silicone. I think the problem is worse in very hot climates and my car isn't and has mostly been garaged.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:45 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

When you DO have to do work "inside the headlight", it's best to pull it. That helps in two ways...
1) You stress the wiring much less when you have good, direct access to the area you're working on
2) You can check for signs of flaking insulation

FWIW, my (ex) car, a 2006 E61 spent the vast majority of its time in Arizona, and still showed no visible signs of insulation deteriorating. There's a video of me swapping out the angel eye bulbs (and removing the headlight(s) to do so) where you can see the insides of the (adaptive) headlight. Be very careful with those things, as having to replace both adaptive headlights in an E60/61 can "total" some cars! ;-)
Old 09-25-2023, 09:32 AM
New Members

Here's my tentative plan:
1) Pull headlight assemblies from car, remove H7 bulbs and angel-eye bulbs and set aside; mark bulb holders to ensure correct alignment when re-inserting later.
2) Apply liquid electrical tape to all exposed wiring inside both headlight assemblies.
3) TEST: reinstall bulbs & connect assemblies to power and test to see if AHC issue resolved.
a) If YES & resolved, reinstall headlight assemblies in car
b) If NO & not resolved, disconnect headlight assemblies for more work
4) Open primary Xenon bulb compartments and look for frayed insulation; remove bulbs if necessary.
5) Apply liquid electrical tape to all exposed wiring inside both headlight assemblies.
6) TEST: reinstall bulbs & connect assemblies to power and test to see if AHC issue resolved.
7) Remove & clean AHC motors and/or control modules from both headlight assemblies, then reinstall
8) TEST: reinstall bulbs & connect assemblies to power and test to see if AHC issue resolved.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Anything you might suggest in addition or in a different sequence?
Thanks for your suggestions.
ZD
Old 09-26-2023, 09:27 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

FWIW, that sounds like a good plan to me, and (importantly) won't have you rooting around in more (easily disturbed) areas than necessary. I suspect that you'll end up with working headlights.

I know a lot of folks are hesitant to pull the headlights out, but it's really SO much easier than trying to work on them in place.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:59 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by habbyguy
FWIW, that sounds like a good plan to me, and (importantly) won't have you rooting around in more (easily disturbed) areas than necessary. I suspect that you'll end up with working headlights.

I know a lot of folks are hesitant to pull the headlights out, but it's really SO much easier than trying to work on them in place.
Thanks for the back-up. FYI I do have working headlights, I just messed up the adaptive feature which isn't working now.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:39 AM
New Members

I've been taking this very slowly and have now dismantled the passenger side assembly, coated the bare wires with liquid electrical tape, attempted to pull the motor from the xenon compartment but observed the wiring in this area appeared to be undisturbed and fully insulated. I reconnected the assembly to the car and tested the unit and the lights came on but I still have the AHC warning light coming on. I will now carefully go over the driver's side. I
f you notice anything in the attached photos or have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks

Quick Reply: LED H7 vs Halogen H7