E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leather vs. Leatherette... 2008 328i impression

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my car was at the dealership for some maintenance and vibration issues I was having and they lent me a 2008 328i because apparently it takes a day and half to change some door seals and check some brakes.

This 328i was BARE BONES! No options what so ever. I mean, I have seen better equipped standard Toyota Corrola?s. It is like going to a super fancy dinner party at a well known restaurant and ordering the cheapest thing on the menu (usually grilled chicken of some sort). Yes, you are at the party and in the restaurant and mingling with everyone, but at the end of the day, you still have grilled chicken. Nevertheless grilled chicken from the same place where everyone else has lobster, steak, duck, etc. So in essence, you are still included. You can leave the restaurant, carry the fancy doggy bag and tell people you were at this restaurant and apart of the same crowd.

One thing I will have to say about the whole Leatherette vs. Leather issue:

Completely not the same! I have sat on leatherette and seen it many times, but this is the first time I actually inspected the difference and sat in it for a long time. The real leather on my e60 is incredibly more soft, porous, smooth, and bouncy. The leatherette looked ok, but the stitching made it seem cheap and the feel and hardness of the material was bad. It is like getting a genuine made Italian leather wallet and then getting a synthetic wallet from Fossil. You cannot compare the two, and anyone that knows leather would know the difference. Now I am seriously wondering why people even argued about the difference in this forum?

I am not saying leatherette is ultimately horrible and everyone should pay for real leather. Because, in reality, some people feel that a synthetic Fossil leather wallet is all they want and need. They would rather take that money saved on getting the real genuine leather and put it in their synthetic wallet. Nothing wrong with that! But please do not justify that the two are the same! Just say other things are more important to your buying habits than dishing out hundreds of dollars for the real thing.

Wow?slow day at work for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmwpwr' post='605957' date='Jun 19 2008, 03:24 PM
So my car was at the dealership for some maintenance and vibration issues I was having and they lent me a 2008 328i because apparently it takes a day and half to change some door seals and check some brakes.

This 328i was BARE BONES! No options what so ever. I mean, I have seen better equipped standard Toyota Corrola?s. It is like going to a super fancy dinner party at a well known restaurant and ordering the cheapest thing on the menu (usually grilled chicken of some sort). Yes, you are at the party and in the restaurant and mingling with everyone, but at the end of the day, you still have grilled chicken. Nevertheless grilled chicken from the same place where everyone else has lobster, steak, duck, etc. So in essence, you are still included. You can leave the restaurant, carry the fancy doggy bag and tell people you were at this restaurant and apart of the same crowd.

Completely not the same! I have sat on leatherette and seen it many times, but this is the first time I actually inspected the difference and sat in it for a long time. The real leather on my e60 is incredibly more soft, porous, smooth, and bouncy. The leatherette looked ok, but the stitching made it seem cheap and the feel and hardness of the material was bad. It is like getting a genuine made Italian leather wallet and then getting a synthetic wallet from Fossil. You cannot compare the two, and anyone that knows leather would know the difference. Now I am seriously wondering why people even argued about the difference in this forum?

I am not saying leatherette is ultimately horrible and everyone should pay for real leather. Because, in reality, some people feel that a synthetic Fossil leather wallet is all they want and need. They would rather take that money saved on getting the real genuine leather and put it in their synthetic wallet. Nothing wrong with that! But please do not justify that the two are the same! Just say other things are more important to your buying habits than dishing out hundreds of dollars for the real thing.

I agree 100% & I wish I had known about the whole leather / leatherette thing when I bought my car . I always thought that every E60 had leather but boy was I wrong
Old 06-19-2008, 12:46 PM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

328i barebone can actually be a good car to have - as long as it has the sport package and 6sp - more nimble and athletic than the 5 series. I assume as a rental, it actually has the STEP (GM made) and probably no sport package. All the other things like leather, night vision etc. don't add that much more to the driving experience.

The standard leather in the 5 isn't that special. However, the ventilated leather package feels much nicer. If you live in cold weather, leatherette is just fine. But the difference is obvious, it's $1.4k different.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TMQ' post='606013' date='Jun 19 2008, 01:46 PM
328i barebone can actually be a good car to have - as long as it has the sport package and 6sp - more nimble and athletic than the 5 series. I assume as a rental, it actually has the STEP (GM made) and probably no sport package. All the other things like leather, night vision etc. don't add that much more to the driving experience.

The standard leather in the 5 isn't that special. However, the ventilated leather package feels much nicer. If you live in cold weather, leatherette is just fine. But the difference is obvious, it's $1.4k different.

The 328i was barebone with no sport and had a steptronic. It was still fun to drive and gave a different feel than the 5er. My e60 is faster but the smaller 328 was a lot more nimble and very quick to respond to manuevering and switching in and out of lanes.

I think things like navigation, nicer trim, comfortable seats, comfort access, real leather, better sound system, nicer display, etc. ALL add to the driving experience. Most of us here are everyday drivers...and our driving experience consists more of comfortability and luxury with some spirited driving in between. If all of us track our cars and are only about the pure driving schematics, then I agree with you. 328i barebones with manual and sport is nice.

I actually feel the standard leather in the 5 is alot better than the leatherette. Is it worth the thousand or so plus dollars? To each their own I guess. Don't know anything about the cold... i live in socal right now. 83 today...clear skies with smog and sun.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I got mine with leatherette, I didn't realize the difference at the time. I would have paid the extra money for the leather, but I'm still very happy. I may sell this one to get the V8 version in a year so its not biggie. The weather has been in the 90-100's the last 3 weeks.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Back in the 80's my 524TD had seats and trim in a material similar to "MBTex". The quality and durability of the vinyl was excellent and many people were surprised to learn it was not leather.

After more than 10 years and 300K miles where was no wearing or tearing - no cracking or fading. And the care consisted of an occasional vacuum and sponging wipe down with a mild detergent. Twice a year I gave it a Zymol Vinyl Treatment.

One feature of the seat I especially liked was that the center panels (seat bottom and back) were perforated. Reduced the Summer time sticky factor to 0!

I've seen the non-leather interiors of current BMW's - I think the material looks quite nice. That said, I think once you crack the $30K barrier, there is an expectation (maybe only in the USA??) that the seats will be leather.

Anyone out there have cloth seats in their e60 ? ?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Yeah, I posted something similar when my fy-fitty was in the shop. I had the same car. A stripped down 328i, auto, non-sport, and gold . Leatherette is horrible. Yeah, the leather is expensive, but after experiencing both, I'll pay for the leather every time. The one good thing is that everything that looks like leather is leather; not just "leather seating surfaces" that you see lower end manufacturers selling and charging nearly as much for.

Leatherette is just nasty, IMO. Having leatherette in these cars is like spending the $50K+ entry fee and then cheaping out by slapping a Garmin on the windshield.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='606595' date='Jun 20 2008, 06:36 AM
Leatherette is just nasty, IMO. Having leatherette in these cars is like spending the $50K+ entry fee and then cheaping out by slapping a Garmin on the windshield.

LOL!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by bmwpwr' post='605957' date='Jun 19 2008, 03:24 PM

leatherette is good, but not great. Leather is great but doesn't wear very well over time. In a luxury car one must have leather or else you can definately tell it's taken the cheap route.

Leather for playboys, leatherette for players on a budget.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, 1995 318ic retired circa 1970 2002, , circa 1985 320, 1998 528i, 1998 740i

we have a 1995 318 ic with 160 k miles and leatherette. A great daily driver that my son now uses. The seats still look great and a very functional car. Nothing wrong with having the performance of a BMW but keeping everything else simple. Really depends on what you need and want the car for.

Quick Reply: Leather vs. Leatherette... 2008 328i impression