E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leaking Transmission Pan

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:16 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Cheers,

One thing, the 6HP19 pan has the integrated gasket aswell, or am i wrong? So how would I get them to replace the gasket when it comes stuck to the pan?

Will just redoing the bolts in the sequence and correct torque be sufficient?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:32 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by mwaku
Cheers,

One thing, the 6HP19 pan has the integrated gasket as well, or am i wrong? So how would I get them to replace the gasket when it comes stuck to the pan?

Yes, you are right, the gasket is probably not able to be replaced by itself. I haven't done the transmission oil pan myself, but I expect you are right.

Hmmmm...you could get lucky re-torquing the bolts. You have a problem. The amount of oil in the pan exceed the pan volume. What that means is you cannot take the pan off and start over. You cannot unscrew all the bolts enough for everything to be very loose. All the oil will come out. You might be able to very lightly unscrew all the bolts, while making sure the gasket is still in contact. Then retighten them in sequence and with a torque wrench. Be prepared for failure (as in fluid comes out).
Old 12-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Cheers,

One thing, the 6HP19 pan has the integrated gasket aswell, or am i wrong? So how would I get them to replace the gasket when it comes stuck to the pan?

Originally Posted by twh
Yes, you are right, the gasket is probably not able to be replaced by itself. I haven't done the transmission oil pan myself, but I expect you are right.
No, the gasket is a separate piece and simply presses into
the groove in the pan. You can most definitely replace just the gasket. I know; I've done it.

OP, trying loosening and retightening the pan bolts to proper torque spec in the proper sequence. If that doesn't do it, you may have a defective gasket.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:38 PM
New Members

Thanks KyleB, always a great help.

I'll try positioning to the workshop Monday, I have a feeling they will disagree etc but will try how it goes.

I don't have the tools to do it myself etc nor am I comfortable doing so. So should I just buy the repair kit (comes with the pan and bolts and gaskets) for roughly $100 (sourced myself)? and get them to install the new pan, gasket and put in new bolts?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

If this ship did the work and it is leaking, then don't buy anything...take it back to them and tell them to fix it. The transmission is fitted with a plastic oil pan and doesn't need a metal pan. That's all there is to it. They screwed up something -- or possibly there is a defective part. But, the repair shop needs to fix it.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:53 PM
New Members

Thing is that I bought all the parts. They only did the labour. If it's leaking cause Of the pan then it's not their responsibility (I assume) .Only if the bolts arent torqued correctly then yea?

So I'll just go back and get them to retorque and sequence the bolts first. Just got to find the diagrams again
Old 12-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Thing is that I bought all the parts. They only did the labour. If it's leaking cause Of the pan then it's not their responsibility (I assume) .Only if the bolts arent torqued correctly then yea?

So I'll just go back and get them to retorque and sequence the bolts first. Just got to find the diagrams again
since you bought the parts, then you need to buy a replacement pan. shops dont warranty parts bought by customer.
and i would not bother with retorquing the existing pan. you might as well change it, while the car is up in the air.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:49 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

ok mwaku, I understand your situation. If you don't feel comfortable doing this job yourself, maybe you should find a new garage to do the work and have them order the new pan. At least in this case, the new garage will be on the hook for the entire thing.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 AM
New Members

Dammit, should have just gone with KyleB, it was just the gasket that was 'compressed' and caused the leaking. Nothing wrong with the actual pan (sigh - i went and bought a new pan, gasket and bolts (bolts because i didn't change them the last time and thought might as well)).

Well pretty annoying, but leaking I think has stopped. I'm bracing myself for the gasket to leak again.. but if it does, atleast I know what to buy and to buy 'the best' i possibly can.

The current parts are from the US i got from eBay, and they used the brand Bapmic (didn't know until i received it).. I'm pretty sure my last one was Bapmic too... so im abit hesitant and worried is going to leak again. Hopefully not though..