E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Leak on driveway

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

Ok, I have noticed that sometimes over night I will have a small puddle under the front right side of the car. This appears to be a clear but oily fluid. I first began to search the forum (as always) and was initially thinking it was a tranny leak. Perhaps the mechatronics sleeve. Then this morning I briefly got the engine coolant level low warning at startup. Is it possible that the fluid is coolant from a leaking hose? I know the coolant resevoir is on the left side of the engine, but do wonder if the two are connected. ALso, wouldn't the coolant be less oily? I have had no tranny jerk at all. The car is running perfectly.

I know the obvious choice is to take to the dealer, but before I do I thought I'd try to troubleshoot first. Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Oily... but what color??? You say clear... to my knowledge there is no clear fluid in the car.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

Very light in color. Brownish. Not blue or green at all...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

It could just be your AC draining. If your climate control is set at AUTO, your AC is still working even on cold weather. This is good since it dries the air inside so you won't have any musty smell in your car.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Members

I had the similar leak in my car at right side front, it looked clear but oily, it turned out to be a coolant leak from thermostat and lower hose. I had it fixed and no more leaks. The cost was under $500 includes parts and labour from independent BMW shop.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

My first thought was power steering (hydraulic) fluid based on your description of the location. Simple to check the reservoir to see if low.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

The color of the fluid sounds like brake fluid..
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Members

Keep in mind that whatever fluid it is will pick up whatever is in it's way on it's way to the ground. So if you describe it as oily, it might just be minor oil residue that it picked up running down the side of the engine/transmission/etc.

Take a look at the belly pan of your car. That might help you pinpoint the source of the leak.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

My car has the same problem. I got the coolant level low warning message too. I topped it off. I saw the wed stop on the ground with clear/brownish color. Dealer technician removed the bottom panel and saw the liquid dews at left & right bottom corners of the radiator. Any idea how much would it be to replace the radiator at an independent shop ?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by afzalk72
I had the similar leak in my car at right side front, it looked clear but oily, it turned out to be a coolant leak from thermostat and lower hose. I had it fixed and no more leaks. The cost was under $500 includes parts and labour from independent BMW shop.
Same here. I actually got out for $109 including labor. It was the thermostat that had gone bad - how that results in a coolant leak I don't know, but I looked around on this forum and Bimmerfest and found a few other people with the same story. I was shocked at how cheap the repair was. First time for everything...

Quick Reply: Leak on driveway