E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI taillight wire burnt out. Caused mild damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

Same problem here, 08 528, picked up the new back plate (the one that holds the light bulbs) and a new wiring socket, removed all the wires from the old socket and pushed them in to the new one. Checked the passenger side and that was OK, no damage, the driver's side was melted and half the connector for the ground wire on the back plate had eroded. The new back plate from the dealer has the ground wire attached. Cost was $60
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by justoracle
Same problem here, 08 528, picked up the new back plate (the one that holds the light bulbs) and a new wiring socket, removed all the wires from the old socket and pushed them in to the new one. Checked the passenger side and that was OK, no damage, the driver's side was melted and half the connector for the ground wire on the back plate had eroded. The new back plate from the dealer has the ground wire attached. Cost was $60
When you say back plate you are talking about the plastic piece that holds the bulbs correct? I bought the plastic piece myself since I ran into this same problem but I didn't see a ground wire attached when I bought it from the dealer
Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by b00sted415
When you say back plate you are talking about the plastic piece that holds the bulbs correct? I bought the plastic piece myself since I ran into this same problem but I didn't see a ground wire attached when I bought it from the dealer
i think bmw just recently started adding the additional ground wire. it would be simple to add one yourself.
there is a picture on the second page of this thread showing the additional wire.
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...estion-134914/
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

Yeah the back plate (at least what I'm calling it) is what holds the bulbs. I actually went ahead and installed a ground wire on the passenger side too, even though it looked fine I figured that would give me peace of mind it wont melt like the driver's.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Guys,

I just received a letter from BMW NA announcing a recall to replace the bulb carriers with new versions which will correct/fix the problem. People should be getting letters this week. They are going to replace both sides with this new version

/thread

Also, it sucks for me since I paid $40 to fix this myself two years ago

Last edited by Luxurytax; 06-03-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Members

Is there any posted info on this recall? I can't seen to be able to find it and don't recall seeing any letter, but possible I missed it.

I have a 2007 525i that is now showing an intermittent left rear taillight error....
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Originally Posted by whdigital
Is there any posted info on this recall? I can't seen to be able to find it and don't recall seeing any letter, but possible I missed it.

I have a 2007 525i that is now showing an intermittent left rear taillight error....
I believe this recall was for LCI cars (2008+) I had the recall done on my car because it melted the bulb carrier and the slip that holds the wires. You can call your local dealer and have them run your vin to see if you are covered. Check your bulb carrier first to make sure that's the problem and not just a bad bulb.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Members

You're right, LCI only. Heck, it's even in the thread title - so much for reading! I inspected my wiring harness and there are no signs of the problem and the lights all work fine, but I'm still getting the error sporadically. Weird...
Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by whdigital
You're right, LCI only. Heck, it's even in the thread title - so much for reading! I inspected my wiring harness and there are no signs of the problem and the lights all work fine, but I'm still getting the error sporadically. Weird...
Just check for loose bulbs in the carrier first. If you are worried about the shorting issue just add another ground lead from the carrier to the factory grounding point. That is pretty much the fix BMWNA is doing.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

If your car is 2008+ I highly advise you to take your car to your local dealer for repair/preventative recall work. After all, it's free. I recently got mine done. Took the shop 2 hours.

Quick Reply: LCI taillight wire burnt out. Caused mild damage