E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI taillight wire burnt out. Caused mild damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Ever since I repaired the car it has never happened again.

It's been about a year now
Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM
New Members

First time poster!
Hello fellow Bimmers!

Unfortunately I just had the same malfunction error for my right rear turn signal on my 2008 - e60- 528Xi.
The burnt wire/plug/holder is not quite as bad as the other pictures, but pretty close. The plug and bulb holder will need replacement as well.
I bought as a 2 yr old Certified pre-owned, but now I'm on the 5yr and the extended warranty. Not sure if this will be covered. Have appt. to take it into dealer tomorrow night. They said the LED unit in the tail light was covered if that is the problem, but I looked closer and found the overheated connection.

Only the turn signal seems to be affected, so I'm assuming that the burnt wire is the power for the led unit, not a common ground for all bulbs. The wires to the LED unit and much thinner than the main plug so I don't think it the LED unit pulling to much current.

Does anyone know What the wire does it/s the same one as in the pictures attached.

I have the number for BWM customer relations to call if they say it's not covered. Hope they have the parts and do it under Warranty, and can replace the plug and not say the whole harness needs replacement as another poster mentioned. I bought the car for it's German engineering and reliability, guess I'm finding out this is not the case. The car has had a few issues under warranty, but not to severe.
BWM should stand behind repairing this, it does seem to be a design problem...

I really like the car overall, design and features.

Rich
Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

:thumbsdown: this keeps happening to people
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

May I ask how to add an extra grounding so to fix the problem? I didn't have a time to disassemble the component to verify if that part in my car started to burn...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
I noticed the problem early and have strengthened the pin contact. In addition, replaced the fog lights with LED bulbs.
I expect to not have any problems with it.
And this time the driver side...
Fortunately in an early stage.
The brake bulbs forces the ground contact in plug. I measured almost 2 Volt difference between the car chassis and the bulb carrier's ground (with brake bulbs on).

That ground pin must hold around 5 Amps but it's too fragile for that. One as from the oder end (the one connected to the chassis) would be perfect, but would not fit in the plug.
The only way to improve this is to tinker a wire from car chassis directly to bulb carrier (since the carrier has no other available ground pin).
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 528i, Alpine WHITE

Just got those same 3 malfunction warnings on the idrive. So has anyone gotten this fixed by the dealer under Extended Warranty? Seems like it has effected 2008 models.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

It strikes again. I would assume it would get fixed under warranty
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

I just had the same malfunction error for my right rear turn signal on my 2004 545 . I shut the car off came back 15 min later restarted and it was gone . I am sure it will be back at some point . I checked all the lights/connections and all was good . Mysteries of the E60
Old 06-28-2013, 06:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 528i

Same issue for me on my 2010 E60 528xi.
Actually sitting at the dealership waiting to hear the prognosis. If they come back with anything that will cost me more than a dime, I will order the parts myself and do it.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 528i

Dealer wanted to charge me $230 parts and labor to do it. Apparently not covered in the warrantee.
$70 in parts, i will do it myself.

Quick Reply: LCI taillight wire burnt out. Caused mild damage