E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Latest Nav CD

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have a navigation question....

The other day, I was going to play golf at a course in town.... but did not know the best way to get there. So I tried to use my navigation. Here was the situation:

My destination was the Ritz-Carlton Club @ Grande Lakes.

The way I see it, you can enter a Nav destination by address (if you have it), or by information (look it up).

I chose Information, since I did not know the actual street address. Once I chose information, the system asks whether I want Info on My Location (meaning show closest to my current position), or Information on a new destination (enter city name). The catch here was, I did not know the city name for sure. The Ritz is south of Orlando, but I don't think it actually falls in the city limits. So, I entered Orlando anyway.

Next step, it asks what I am looking for. The way I see it, I could either search for the Ritz as a Hotel, or I could search for the golf course. I chose the hotel, thinking this would be more likely to be on the Navigation DVD maps.

Here is the problem. In Orlando, there are 3 bazillion hotels. They are EVERYWHERE. It's like the hospitality capital of the world. So, I had to scroll through all of these hotels, sorted by distance. I knew I wanted the Ritz-Carlton.... but you can't enter the name directly. So I had to scroll and scroll and scroll..... THEN i find out they don't even have the Ritz on the DVD.

VERY ANNOYING.

On every other Navigation system I have ever used, you have the option of searching for POIs by typing in the name. So... I should have been able to say.... Search in Orlando... For Hotels with name "Ritz" Rather than scrolling through an unalphabetized list to find no listing... I should have been able to find out quickly by an unsuccessful name search.

Why does the BMW navigation not have something as simple as a search POI by name feature? Or am I just dumb, and have not found it. (I sincerely doubt this is the case)
Old 03-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

My uncle owns a GMC Denali. Now he gets free nav updates. He questioned my system and I of course told him I had to pay for my dvd's. He almost started laughing at me. I just find it kind of crappy that we have to pay at all for these updates. Not only that, but we have to pay so much $$$. Just my .02
Old 03-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='249499' date='Mar 3 2006, 03:19 PM
I have a navigation question....
The other day, I was going to play golf at a course in town.... but did not know the best way to get there. So I tried to use my navigation. Here was the situation:

My destination was the Ritz-Carlton Club @ Grande Lakes.
The way I see it, you can enter a Nav destination by address (if you have it), or by information (look it up).

I chose Information, since I did not know the actual street address. Once I chose information, the system asks whether I want Info on My Location (meaning show closest to my current position), or Information on a new destination (enter city name). The catch here was, I did not know the city name for sure. The Ritz is south of Orlando, but I don't think it actually falls in the city limits. So, I entered Orlando anyway.

Next step, it asks what I am looking for. The way I see it, I could either search for the Ritz as a Hotel, or I could search for the golf course. I chose the hotel, thinking this would be more likely to be on the Navigation DVD maps.

Here is the problem. In Orlando, there are 3 bazillion hotels. They are EVERYWHERE. It's like the hospitality capital of the world. So, I had to scroll through all of these hotels, sorted by distance. I knew I wanted the Ritz-Carlton.... but you can't enter the name directly. So I had to scroll and scroll and scroll..... THEN i find out they don't even have the Ritz on the DVD.

VERY ANNOYING.
On every other Navigation system I have ever used, you have the option of searching for POIs by typing in the name. So... I should have been able to say.... Search in Orlando... For Hotels with name "Ritz" Rather than scrolling through an unalphabetized list to find no listing... I should have been able to find out quickly by an unsuccessful name search.
Why does the BMW navigation not have something as simple as a search POI by name feature? Or am I just dumb, and have not found it. (I sincerely doubt this is the case)
No, you are not wrong. BMW Nav search is the worst system I ever seen. :thumbsdown:
If anybody doesn't agree, please tell me who. I really like to know..
Old 03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='249520' date='Mar 3 2006, 04:35 PM
No, you are not wrong. BMW Nav search is the worst system I ever seen. :thumbsdown:
If anybody doesn't agree, please tell me who. I really like to know..

My Nav still shows that I am in the middle of Lake mead in Nevada which is 50 miles away from my home and then it corrects itself for four weeks and does it again. My Porsche 997 911 has better Nav then the 550 has. Why doesnt BMW talk to Acura and hire one of their guys to help them with Navigation computers?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='249376' date='Mar 3 2006, 03:53 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$
ASs Steve Martin said in the movie The Jerk "Ahhh Its a profit scheme"
Old 03-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by TV550' post='249528' date='Mar 3 2006, 04:54 PM
My Nav still shows that I am in the middle of Lake mead in Nevada which is 50 miles away from my home and then it corrects itself for four weeks and does it again. My Porsche 997 911 has better Nav then the 550 has. Why doesnt BMW talk to Acura and hire one of their guys to help them with Navigation computers?
My Lexus LS430 has the best navigation I have seen. Better than M-B E500, Porsche 997S and BMW E60. Even the screen on the Porsche is larger. The Lexus nav system has many touchscreen functions which make it easy to use. One problem with the Lexus system is that you can only enter a destination when the car is stationary. I have not seen it, but I understand the new Lexus IS350 has an even more advanced version o ftheir nav system.

The Japanese cars seem to have much more advanced electronics than the European cars.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

The problem with the update cost is that it is so high for such incremental improvement that I doubt they make much money with it. At $50 or so, there would be a LOT more buyers. Heck I would have gotten it just to see if they really learned anything in the last 18 months. I kind of doubt it but I wouldn't mind seeing. As far as out of business POIs, that is a tough one. My local citysearch starting from my house has about 30% of restaurants that are not there anymore. This is a much more robust system for a number of reasons - mainly more users (especially that are already computer savvy).

But for me - I don't drive often on new roads. Lots of new construction around but I don't tend to drive there. POIs I don't trust to get updated so I'll stick with my 2004-2 for now. Maybe emule....
Old 03-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='249600' date='Mar 3 2006, 09:23 PM
My Lexus LS430 has the best navigation I have seen. Better than M-B E500, Porsche 997S and BMW E60. Even the screen on the Porsche is larger. The Lexus nav system has many touchscreen functions which make it easy to use. One problem with the Lexus system is that you can only enter a destination when the car is stationary. I have not seen it, but I understand the new Lexus IS350 has an even more advanced version o ftheir nav system.

The Japanese cars seem to have much more advanced electronics than the European cars.
The first Nav I've ever seen was on my friend's GS300 10 years ago. It's easier to use and has more information than my 2006 e60. I always want to have a Nav in my car, it's my must have option when I bought my e60 this time. Sadly it's not as good as I expected.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The Acura Navigation is designed by Alpine, who has the best aftermarket navigation available. That's why it is so good.

The Lexus system is by Pioneer, I beleive.... and they are in second place for the aftermarket Nav.

Personally, I hate touch screens.... I like how the E60 system uses the iDrive. I just don't like how I can't search for POI by name, that's all.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
JDN
Contributors

Just paid $190 for the 06-2 update, tax incl. and guess what, it would not work. Turns out that they sold me the DVD for the 7-Series. Backordered for the 5-Series and supposed to be here Tuesday, 5/9 am.

Quick Reply: Latest Nav CD