E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Latest MP3 Bad News in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Auto Trans, Moonroof, Xenon adaptive headlights

Dealer just installed v13.2, all minor problems resolved. New issue resulting from v13.2, as reported by others -- no RDS, and I can live without in the U.S., where RDS is barely supported by radio stations in most areas.

MAJOR BAD NEWS: Upon my inquiry, my dealer in Indianapolis received an email reply that MP3 capability will NEVER be available on cars that came without it. Supposedly, there will come a day when newly-delivered e60's have MP3 capability, but there will be NO RETROFIT. I think this absolutely sucks -- has anyone else been told the same? Has my dealer been given the latest info from BMWNA, or has he been given a line of crap to avoid a future software upgrade?

Opinions, please.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

It sounds like it has nothing to do with the software of the system, rather it is a result of the drive type that has been installed in your dash for playing the CD. If so, then they maybe could swap out the drive. That sounds like the possible culprit...

BTW, what were the other little things that the new software fixed?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Auto Trans, Moonroof, Xenon adaptive headlights

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 7 2004, 11:23 PM
It sounds like it has nothing to do with the software of the system, rather it is a result of the drive type that has been installed in your dash for playing the CD. If so, then they maybe could swap out the drive. That sounds like the possible culprit...

BTW, what were the other little things that the new software fixed?
[snapback]42434[/snapback]
Old 10-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Members

Nothing major -- the in-dash CD player no longer starts at the beginning of the CD every time you start the car and instead starts where it was when you turned off the car, as it should. In fact, when you switch from a CD in the changer back to the CD player in the dash, the dash player starts the CD where you left off. As far as the MP3 issue goes, I have the standard U.S. basic system (mid-level in Europe) and the in-glovebox 6-CD changer. Up to now, it has always been claimed that this unit only required a software update to enable MP3 capability. I plan to make a bit of a stink about this, but assume I'll get absolutely nowhere. Also, since the iPod link, when finally available on the e60, plugs into the CD changer connection, I've potentially wasted $695 on the CD changer. I may try to get a refund on the changer in exchange for buying the iPod link, if it ever is released for the e60.

The onboard systems computer was wildly optimistic on fuel economy (at least 30% on the high side). I have only driven about 60 miles since the upgrade, but having reset the computer when I picked up the car, my fuel economy is now showing about 25 mpg, vs the 30+ before the upgrade -- so I assume it is closer to reality. I have an 800 mile trip coming this weekend -- I'll post computer vs. actual mileage when I get back.

I had the auto headlight set to "more sensitive", but no improvement on that one. Headlights still come on too soon, etc., but do go off in mid-day normal daylight, same as before.

I love driving this car, and I'm OK with the iDrive system -- not hard to learn, but cumbersome for otherwise simple tasks like changing from CD1 to CD2, etc. However, all-in-all, I have to admit my first BMW is a relative disappointment, mostly due to the pathetic electronics and convenience features vs. the Infiniti G35 I traded in. I'm glad I have the bimmer, but still could be a LOT happier, given that the car costs about 40% more than the G35 that is a near equal (drove a 325 loaner for a day -- the G35 absolutely kills the 3-series at the $34,000 price point.)

Other stuff addressed by v13.2 was too minor to remember or mention. The dealer upgraded due to an engine recall. I had to reset about half of the personal settings, but mercifully, not the radio stations -- the worst iDrive feature of all.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BILLYBOB' date='Oct 7 2004, 07:19 PM
Dealer just installed v13.2, all minor problems resolved.? New issue resulting from v13.2, as reported by others -- no RDS, and I can live without in the U.S., where RDS is barely supported by radio stations in most areas.

MAJOR BAD NEWS:? Upon my inquiry, my dealer in Indianapolis received an email reply that MP3 capability will NEVER be available on cars that came without it.? Supposedly, there will come a day when newly-delivered e60's have MP3 capability, but there will be NO RETROFIT.? I think this absolutely sucks -- has anyone else been told the same?? Has my dealer been given the latest info from BMWNA, or has he been given a line of crap to avoid a future software upgrade?

Opinions, please.
[snapback]42433[/snapback]
i'm and hopefully will getting the update next week. will ask my service advisor about the mp3 issue...if he knows . will keep you posted. wish me luck .
Old 10-08-2004, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

BillyBob, it sounds like you went from a version 11 software to 13.

Most of the issues you mention were fixed in version 12, I believe.

Bummer about the MP3 news, if true...
Old 10-08-2004, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 8 2004, 02:34 PM
Bummer about the MP3 news, if true...
[snapback]42520[/snapback]
I haven't heard any rumours like that yet. Last rumour is that a software update will fix it, probably in May2005.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:52 AM
asg
Members

My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

BMWNA had told me a month or two ago when I was inquiring about when and if an IPOD adapter may be available for e60s (word was that the were looking into it but no definitive word of whether or not it would be available)...that 2004 e60s cd player drives do not support mp3 playback...i.e., it is a hardware issue not a software issue. I've learned not to completely trust BMWNA given their record of conflicting info based on who you speak with....but this guy was among the more competent reps i've spoken with
Old 10-08-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by BILLYBOB' date='Oct 8 2004, 12:19 AM
New issue resulting from v13.2, as reported by others -- no RDS, and I can live without in the U.S., where RDS is barely supported by radio stations in most areas.
[snapback]42433[/snapback]
Ok, i'm confused now. I thought RDS **WAS** back with 13.2 and even has the option to turn it on and off. So what's the real deal?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

That's me above....

Quick Reply: Latest MP3 Bad News in the U.S.