E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lack of power - turbo problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I think your turbo is electronically controlled instead of vacuum pipes.
The turbo is smack in the middle of the exhaust header pipe and spins up to 100,000 RPM, it doesn't shut off. Think of a kids pinwheel, when you blow on it, it spins. What limits boost and RPM is the waste gate. The waste gate is computer controlled and redirects some exhaust gas to bypass the turbo which limits RPM and boost.
Maybe its a funky waste gate which is always redirecting to bypass the turbo, so boost never builds enough. Under that scenario the turbo, waste gate and bypass exhaust plumbing becomes a plug or blockage in the system. This would also cause the limit of power and this would be more pronounced at upper speeds and maybe at 80mph.
The problem nowadays is that technicians are looking at computers and codes and not looking at the engine.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by E60-530d
Went to indy who did swirl flaps. They read code and said its something to do with DPF. They were not yet able to tell exactly what the matter is. They asked me if I've done lots of slow and short journeys which to be fair I have as I didn't know diesels need looking after. They cleared code and took it for a test drive during which they said it apparently drove normally until DPF caused code again bringing the problem back. They commented on the black deposits within tail pipe end and said that's unusual with a normal DPF. Also said it IS possible for i-Drive to be fault free as in this case.

They advised that the first thing to do is to attempt DPF regeneration by driving it (long journey 30 mins above 50mph). When I asked about forced regeneration, they didn't say much about that. I drove the car for atleast 30 mins in 4th maintaining around 60mph. I could not tell anything happening to the DPF. But more worryingly, on the way back car feels even more limp. What must have been some remaining turbo when I started this thread appears to be diminishing or have gone. Reaching 50mph is now taking an eternity.

When I asked if it could be something like a loose / broken vacuum pipe, they said no as the car drove normally after code cleared. I was not present during the test drive to witness or agree with that. To be fair I didn't have an appointment to go there today as this happened over the weekend and if I didn't go today, I won't be available for another week due to work commitments. They agreed to run the diagnostic and test drive but said they would need the car back for longer to investigate further. I can't complain as they were helpful and didn't charge me today.

So right now I don't know much other than diagnostic says DPF. I've arranged a second opinion / diagnostic elsewhere which is more local for me to get to. I've read briefly about the whole DPF thing....lots to know there ! I know some people have got rid of DPF and remapped as not to risk repeat failures etc. I assume the new indy locally where I'll be getting a second opinion from won't be advising for or able to attempt such modifications. Guys any thoughts or advice from this update ? Thanks again.
Believe it or not, I'm having the same problem at the moment.
I have INPA software and OBD2 so I can read the fault codes and clear the error memory.

I'm investigating things and will report if I can find anything. Too bad I can't do much before the weekend though.

- Antti -
Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps, adaptive headlamps, auto dimming interior mirror, heated folding door mirrors, electric front seats with drivers memory, heated front seats, extended light package, sun protection glass, electrically adjustable steering column, automatic air conditioning.

Had exactly the same problem with my 535d and it was the changeover value that directs air flow between the two turbos. Cost me about £250 to get changed at an independant.

If you are getting the change over valve done you may aswell get the vac hoses done as they went on mine about a month later which demonstrated very similar (slightly less dramatic) symptoms...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

You can tell if your car is running its DPF regen when the engine coolant temp is sitting higher than normal say around 94oc instead of 89-90, also you car will make a droning \humming noise when driving at 30 and taking you foot off the accelerator. The car also stays in gear longer to raise the temperature for burning off the crap it has collected.

With a DPF equiped Diesel you really need to take the car for a good blast down the motorway at least once a week, stop and go short journeys mean that the dpf is rarely able to perform its regeneration properly leading to the DPF getting clogged up. I am sure that someone else on this forum had something similar, the garage they visited did what yours recommended with the long journey. That fixed it for them, i'll do a search for you and post what i find.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta
The problem nowadays is that technicians are looking at computers and codes and not looking at the engine.
Too right, gone are the days when the tech could just listen to a car and say what's wrong. Over reliance on the computer I guess is prevalent in almost everything now ! Its "the computer says no" syndrome from the TV show Little Britain !

Believe it or not, I'm having the same problem at the moment.
I have INPA software and OBD2 so I can read the fault codes and clear the error memory.

I'm investigating things and will report if I can find anything. Too bad I can't do much before the weekend though.

- Antti -
Hey Antti I've been following your posts and pics....sorry to hear you too are having issues with this. I too will report if I find anything.

Originally Posted by Mambo
Had exactly the same problem with my 535d and it was the changeover value that directs air flow between the two turbos. Cost me about £250 to get changed at an independant.

If you are getting the change over valve done you may aswell get the vac hoses done as they went on mine about a month later which demonstrated very similar (slightly less dramatic) symptoms...
I just hope its something reasonable such as what you say. I feel once my car gets a proper looking into soon, we'll know what the score is. Will keep you all posted.

Originally Posted by Bob525D
You can tell if your car is running its DPF regen when the engine coolant temp is sitting higher than normal say around 94oc instead of 89-90, also you car will make a droning \humming noise when driving at 30 and taking you foot off the accelerator. The car also stays in gear longer to raise the temperature for burning off the crap it has collected.

With a DPF equiped Diesel you really need to take the car for a good blast down the motorway at least once a week, stop and go short journeys mean that the dpf is rarely able to perform its regeneration properly leading to the DPF getting clogged up. I am sure that someone else on this forum had something similar, the garage they visited did what yours recommended with the long journey. That fixed it for them, i'll do a search for you and post what i find.
Cheers Bob, I'm following you here and in the other forum. I can't recall hearing my DPF during the six months I've had the car. I admit a lot of my driving involves slow short journeys barely allowing the engine enough time to get to normal operating temperature but once every week or two I do have 60 mile round trips too. Even during these I didn't hear anything like the DPF. I wonder drivers like me who never knew what a DPF is actually think when they hear their DPF regen for the first time. Maybe it surprises them....well I haven't had that pleasure just yet !! sori if this sounds even more strange....where do I check the coolant temp !?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Too right, gone are the days when the tech could just listen to a car and say what's wrong. Over reliance on the computer I guess is prevalent in almost everything now ! Its "the computer says no" syndrome from the TV show Little Britain !

Hey Antti I've been following your posts and pics....sorry to hear you too are having issues with this. I too will report if I find anything.

I just hope its something reasonable such as what you say. I feel once my car gets a proper looking into soon, we'll know what the score is. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers Bob, I'm following you here and in the other forum. I can't recall hearing my DPF during the six months I've had the car. I admit a lot of my driving involves slow short journeys barely allowing the engine enough time to get to normal operating temperature but once every week or two I do have 60 mile round trips too. Even during these I didn't hear anything like the DPF. I wonder drivers like me who never knew what a DPF is actually think when they hear their DPF regen for the first time. Maybe it surprises them....well I haven't had that pleasure just yet !! sori if this sounds even more strange....where do I check the coolant temp !?
Have a look at this link for the hidden menu instructions, it could be that your car has both thermostats away and it has been running too cool for some time. This would likely cause the DPF to get clogged if it wasnt reaching a temp to try its regen cycle, i am clutching at straws here but check out your engine temp using the instructions in the link.

Operating temp
Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D
Have a look at this link for the hidden menu instructions, it could be that your car has both thermostats away and it has been running too cool for some time. This would likely cause the DPF to get clogged if it wasnt reaching a temp to try its regen cycle, i am clutching at straws here but check out your engine temp using the instructions in the link.

Operating temp
Useful link...thanx
Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Useful link...thanx
I found this posts that explains abit more about the DPF process, I thought i had posted it earlier but i hadn't.

Particle filter failure - BMWland
Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I got my problem solved (at least for now). Please take a look at here!

- Antti -
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Members

I got my problem solved (at least for now). Please take a look at here!

- Antti -
WOW Antti you are the man ! Well done...you've done a great job.

My update is that the indy I went to diagnosed a blocked up DPF too. Unusually, he tried to blame the swirl flap removal for this. Surely this can't be right ? We had colder than normal weather here in the UK over the last 2 to 3 months and I am guessing the same happened to my DPF as what happended to yours (just read your amazing DIY). My usual journeys are short and slow. Anyway, surely what you did should be tried before completely getting rid of the DPF. I just don't feel I could tackle this myself. Anyone in the UK who's able to do what Antti has done ? Please get in touch.....I need to get this fixed.

Quick Reply: Lack of power - turbo problem ?