E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lack of power - turbo problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a 2004 530d with manual transmission. It has covered just under 60K miles.

I had not driven at out of town speeds for sometime so today while doing so, this new problem came as a surprise.

I noticed that I could not make the car go any faster than 80mph even with the throttle all the way to the floor !!! The car accelerates to about 80mph and then nothing more. Initially I thought is it the speed limiter or some other limiter kicking in but I was only going at 80 not 150mph ! The drop in power at the 83mph cut off in 5th or 6th gear is very noticable and abrupt and the revs don't go beyond around the 2k mark at the cut off speed.

After becoming aware of this, I checked how the car performs with harder acceleration at lower speeds. I found the torque of my 530d which normally thrusts me into my seat in any gear is not there anymore. No I-Drive warnings or anything else to report apart from the fact that the swirl flaps were removed not too long ago. I don't think that's got anything to do with something as noticable as this or has it ?

I don't know what a blown turbo seems like but I've just read that turbos can fail. Other things I've read before posting this are things like EGR, DPF and electrical issues but frankly I don't follow or understand much of it. I haven't seen any smoke or anything strange apart from this very unusual cut off at 83mph to be exact. Any thoughts on what's happened to my normally very good and powerful 530d ? Thank you.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Members

Update: Found out about 'limp home mode'. My car is in this mode....does not rev past 3k at any speed as I discovered when I checked it again today. Anyone know what's likely to cause this ? I'll need to take it somewhere to get a diagnostic done. Just wondering what people think might put a car into this mode without any warning. Anyone had the same ?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

I had a Volvo S60 D5 which went in to limp mode when i fitted one of those cheap tuning boxes, if you have fitted one of those then try removing it. Be aware though, if you are in limp mode then this doesnt usually self clear you need a code reader to reset it.

Another cause can be the vacuum pipe that controls the turbo is either split or has come off, check all of your hose connections in that area. My Audi A6 2.5 TDI behaved like this when the dealershit serviced the car and disconnected the vacuum hose for the turbo, i wouldnt go over 3K rpm and the car was very sluggish like the turbo wasnt there.

I meant to say i have a code reader but i am guessing you are nowhere near me, maybe another member on here has one who is closer. Also try asking on the bmwland forum, lots of uk guys there.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D
I had a Volvo S60 D5 which went in to limp mode when i fitted one of those cheap tuning boxes, if you have fitted one of those then try removing it. Be aware though, if you are in limp mode then this doesnt usually self clear you need a code reader to reset it.

Another cause can be the vacuum pipe that controls the turbo is either split or has come off, check all of your hose connections in that area. My Audi A6 2.5 TDI behaved like this when the dealershit serviced the car and disconnected the vacuum hose for the turbo, i wouldnt go over 3K rpm and the car was very sluggish like the turbo wasnt there.

I meant to say i have a code reader but i am guessing you are nowhere near me, maybe another member on here has one who is closer. Also try asking on the bmwland forum, lots of uk guys there.
Thanks for the useful info. Yes I tried the other forum searching for clues. Hope to get things checked out on monday. Hope its not a major problem. I guess one of the majors could be a new turbo...don't want to even think how much ! Hope its something like a replacement vacuum pipe. I love my car...limp mode makes me
Old 02-20-2010, 12:02 PM
gtf
Members

I had the same it was a pipe come loose due to a broken clip £7 for parts and perfect after five minutes
Old 02-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gtf
I had the same it was a pipe come loose due to a broken clip £7 for parts and perfect after five minutes
Thanks for reply. Looks like if everyone was having a bet on this...seems like its the vacuum hose rather than something major like a failed turbo. Well I guess I'll sleep a little more easy till I get the low down on monday ! Thanks guys
Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Did it happen shortly after you did a refuel of diesel? Maybe bad fuel?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta
Did it happen shortly after you did a refuel of diesel? Maybe bad fuel?
To be honest I'm not sure exactly when it occured as its not easy to tell in general town driving (don't reach 3k rpm much - only now I'm getting to understand diesel engines more - I know lots of short slow journeys are no good for these engines). While on a faster drive, going at 80mph and with 3K rpm, what I now know to be the limp mode kicks in. I'm just hoping its something like the vacuum pipes. Will know soon and update will follow.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I think your turbo is electronically controlled instead of vacuum pipes.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Members

Went to indy who did swirl flaps. They read code and said its something to do with DPF. They were not yet able to tell exactly what the matter is. They asked me if I've done lots of slow and short journeys which to be fair I have as I didn't know diesels need looking after. They cleared code and took it for a test drive during which they said it apparently drove normally until DPF caused code again bringing the problem back. They commented on the black deposits within tail pipe end and said that's unusual with a normal DPF. Also said it IS possible for i-Drive to be fault free as in this case.

They advised that the first thing to do is to attempt DPF regeneration by driving it (long journey 30 mins above 50mph). When I asked about forced regeneration, they didn't say much about that. I drove the car for atleast 30 mins in 4th maintaining around 60mph. I could not tell anything happening to the DPF. But more worryingly, on the way back car feels even more limp. What must have been some remaining turbo when I started this thread appears to be diminishing or have gone. Reaching 50mph is now taking an eternity.

When I asked if it could be something like a loose / broken vacuum pipe, they said no as the car drove normally after code cleared. I was not present during the test drive to witness or agree with that. To be fair I didn't have an appointment to go there today as this happened over the weekend and if I didn't go today, I won't be available for another week due to work commitments. They agreed to run the diagnostic and test drive but said they would need the car back for longer to investigate further. I can't complain as they were helpful and didn't charge me today.

So right now I don't know much other than diagnostic says DPF. I've arranged a second opinion / diagnostic elsewhere which is more local for me to get to. I've read briefly about the whole DPF thing....lots to know there ! I know some people have got rid of DPF and remapped as not to risk repeat failures etc. I assume the new indy locally where I'll be getting a second opinion from won't be advising for or able to attempt such modifications. Guys any thoughts or advice from this update ? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Lack of power - turbo problem ?