E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

L7 owner: Confused about "tone" contols and equalizer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

I'm confused about the interrelationship between the tone controls (base and treble) and the equalizer settings. Does one take precedence over the other, or do the two operate simultaneously? That is, if you boost the levels at, say 2khz by two notches, AND you boost the treble (which obviously affects a broader frequency range), is there a duplicate effect going on here?

Secondly, the iDrive system allows you to set the tone and equalizer controls individually for each radio or Sirrius station individually. Do these settings override the master settings or do they change themaster settings? If they override the master settings, what happens to when those master settings are later changed -- do they have an impact on the indvidual station-specific stations?

Thank you,
Robert
Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Robert -

I've always thought that the two settings worked together, but it certainly is not clear by reading the owner's manual or other BMW materials.

The tone bars can boost or lessen the broad bass/treble "volume", while the equalizer can fine-tune the frequency settings. I keep my tone settings at +2 treble and +1 bass, and the equalizer settings look like a V shape. I have the L7 setting on Theater.

Whatever the answer is ... it sure sounds great when you crank it!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

They work together.

I tried it because I was wondering about the same.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Tone controls and an EQ serve basically the same purpose.... only with different levels of precision.

An EQ isolates bands of frequencies which can be adjusted independently.

Tone control separates those bands into a larger group called "Bass" or "Treble."

Since these two different types of control both serve the same purpose (to increase or decrease the volume of a range of frequencies), it makes little sense to use them simulatanously. To raise the level of a tone control would be the same as raising several adjacent bands in an EQ by the same amount.

The real purpose of Tone controls is to give the listener a quick and simple control over the level of deep or high range sounds in a recording, without having to go to the trouble of using the fine-tuned controls of an EQ.

So if you're listening to a recording, and you think to yourself.... I want more bass.... then a tone control would be the simple and easy way to make that adjustment. If you are a more discerning listener, you might think to yourself... this recording is lacking in midrange... and you could single out the EQ bands to be adjusted.