E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Kind of embarassed to ask this "silly" question...but

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='495905' date='Nov 18 2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the help understanding the conventional key and fob functions. Appreciate it

Hey ChiTown...that was what I was looking for...so I am going to have to be slipping the metal key out of the fob case, then into the ignition slot to start my "non-comfort access" car. I'll just have to try and not lose the fob case when the metal key is in the ignition slot.

Just curious.... have you test driven the car you have on order? All E60's have had the "fob" system and the push button start since late 2005/early 2006 even on the non comfort access fobs.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='495908' date='Nov 18 2007, 11:13 AM
Oh, I was not understanding that...thanks!! Now what Rudy said makes much more sense
Atta boy, I knew you would get it eventually!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

Hotlap,
First-- Get Your BMW!!!

Then all will become clear.

J/K But seriously it will all become clear soon. Hope it gets here a day early!!
jb
Old 11-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributors

As others have mentioned, you can slip the silver metal key out and use it to lock the glove box. I do this all the time when I valet park as I keep my ipod and usually a camera in the glovebox. But most importantly if you have a house key or office key attached to your fob this also allows you to keep your other keys secure since I attached them to the metal key and only give out the empty fob to the valet.

I see people give their whole key ring to the valet all the time. While a BMW key is harder to replicate, a copy of my house key involves $2 and a trip to the local hardware store. A simple opening of the glove box will reveal your address from the registration, then they you can come by at their leasure (which will probably be the next time they see your car pull in, knowing you will be there for a 2 hour meal).

Now days everyone covers their pin number when entering it and schreds their mail, but people will had over their house keys to a valet without any thought whatsoever.

Just paranoid? Maybe, but here's a true story that happened to my neighbour. She was shoping downtown trying on clothes and realizes her purse is gone. She retraced her steps and couldn't find it anywhere, so reported it missing and when home. About 2 hours later she got a phone call from the store she was shopping at saying someone had turned in her purse and could she describe it. Sure enough, her purse had been found. She confirmed that she would be down directly to pick it up. When she got to the store the manager assured her that no one from the store had called and no purse had been turned in. Frustrated and puzzled she returned home to find everything of value cleaned out of her house.

The police said it was a scam that has been repeated many times. The thief watched her leaved and knew how long it would take her to get downtown and back.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Westcoast M5 brings up some good points about protecting your identity, etc. with valets. One thing I'd like to add is to not use the "home" feature on the navigation system since it doesn't have a PIN code (like other cars do). Without a PIN, the valet can display your home address just by looking up the home entry in the nav address book...

(I actually haven't double-checked my LCI car to see if they added a PIN to the home entry but I'm doubtful they did. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...)
Old 11-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by SLORider' post='496104' date='Nov 18 2007, 03:46 PM
Hotlap,
First-- Get Your BMW!!!

Then all will become clear.

J/K But seriously it will all become clear soon. Hope it gets here a day early!!
jb

I know, I know...the only hope this forum has for getting rid of me is if the car ever arrives I was hoping to pick it up this week...but not looking good now. It would have been sweeeeet to have had my new BMW with 4 days to play/tinker around with it Wonder if my g-friend would mind serving me turkey in the garage

How's your new BMW doing...are you enjoying it and how many miles do you have on her so far
Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

Damn man, sorry it won't be here before the holiday. We've got just about 6k mi. on it since 9-1-07.
As you can tell we bought it to drive it. Just went down to Woodland Hills on Sat. to visit an Aunt in the hosp. Down and back 340 or so miles less than a tank of gas, avg. 26.7 and cruising pretty well.
On that trip I got my first ticket with my V1 (over 5 years) CHP around a turn, instant on. Clocked me at 85, wrote me for 80(I was very polite ).

Hang in there and have a great THANKSGIVING!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='496157' date='Nov 18 2007, 09:27 PM
(I actually haven't double-checked my LCI car to see if they added a PIN to the home entry but I'm doubtful they did. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...)
Nope, no PIN required. I set the location but didn't enter a house number so they would still have to guess between about 6 houses as to which one is mine
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by SLORider' post='496602' date='Nov 19 2007, 04:48 PM
Damn man, sorry it won't be here before the holiday. We've got just about 6k mi. on it since 9-1-07.
As you can tell we bought it to drive it. Just went down to Woodland Hills on Sat. to visit an Aunt in the hosp. Down and back 340 or so miles less than a tank of gas, avg. 26.7 and cruising pretty well.
On that trip I got my first ticket with my V1 (over 5 years) CHP around a turn, instant on. Clocked me at 85, wrote me for 80(I was very polite ).

Hang in there and have a great THANKSGIVING!

Way to put on the miles!! Sorry to hear about your ticket - that's NEVER a nice surprise. Luckily, you can take the class and keep it off your record! Have a great Thanksgiving day as well and perhaps sometime we can get the central coast BMW drivers together and make a trip up through the Santa Inez Pass for tri-tip sandwiches at the Cold Springs Tavern? Beautiful countryside up there and nice roads!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='496157' date='Nov 18 2007, 06:27 PM
Westcoast M5 brings up some good points about protecting your identity, etc. with valets. One thing I'd like to add is to not use the "home" feature on the navigation system since it doesn't have a PIN code (like other cars do). Without a PIN, the valet can display your home address just by looking up the home entry in the nav address book...

Thanks Rudy. I forgot all about the "home" location in Nav. I think I will set it for some address a couple of blocks away like the gas station on the corner....I'm sure I can make it home from there without Nav.

Quick Reply: Kind of embarassed to ask this "silly" question...but