E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Kind of embarassed to ask this "silly" question...but

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

in reading the 2008 OM, I noticed the (non-comfort access) key seems be come in a case? It appears you slip the key out of the case to start the car....wouldn't it be easy to lose the case this way? And, do you really need the case for anything?

I'm probably just confused (as ususal) but thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='495740' date='Nov 17 2007, 06:36 PM
in reading the 2008 OM, I noticed the (non-comfort access) key seems be come in a case? It appears you slip the key out of the case to start the car....wouldn't it be easy to lose the case this way? And, do you really need the case for anything?

The "case" you are referring to is probably the adapter. You always leave the key in the adapter. The only time you might take the key out is if you use valet parking and don't want to give access to the trunk. But nobody does that.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by joewatch' post='495745' date='Nov 17 2007, 03:57 PM
The "case" you are referring to is probably the adapter. You always leave the key in the adapter. The only time you might take the key out is if you use valet parking and don't want to give access to the trunk. But nobody does that.

Joe - thanks...but I'm confused? I did not order the comfort access option so I will be using the key to start the car...right?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='495740' date='Nov 17 2007, 07:36 PM

Don't be embarrassed. Are you referring to the conventional key that resides in the remote transmitter fob? If so, that conventional metal key is used to unlock/lock the drivers door, trunk or glove box, if that car/or remote transmitter battery should die. The non comfort access remote transmitter fob(case your referring to) is inserted in the fixed position ignition, like a conventional metal key, but the start/stop button is pushed to start the car. The remote transmitter fob(case) for the non comfort access also recharges it's internal battery while in the ignition, the comfort access key fob does not.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

To try and simplify things, I'll just add that, under normal circumstances, the entire fob is the "key". As others have said, there's no need to use the metal, conventional key unless you have a dead battery or you are doing the valet thing...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Speaking of keys:

Mrs. Sixcard lost her second OEM (fob) key and had to use the glove box version. It got her around but locking/unlocking was a pain.

Ordered replacement from dealer parts. (Ace Hardware wouldn't touch them) BMW requires all sorts of info to prove ownership: name, rank, horsepower, registration, insurance, Strontium 90 level of the navel, etc.

Cost was $136.00 to replace both. I expected them to be far more expensive.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='495748' date='Nov 17 2007, 08:01 PM
Joe - thanks...but I'm confused? I did not order the comfort access option so I will be using the key to start the car...right?

WITH the comfort access option you could just press the start button with the key in your pocket,jacket..etc. WITHOUT the comfort acess option you have to insert the key in the key slot before pressing the start button.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by WindycityBMW' post='495887' date='Nov 18 2007, 06:51 AM
WITH the comfort access option you could just press the start button with the key in your pocket,jacket..etc. WITHOUT the comfort acess option you have to insert the key in the key slot before pressing the start button.
Thanks everyone for the help understanding the conventional key and fob functions. Appreciate it

Hey ChiTown...that was what I was looking for...so I am going to have to be slipping the metal key out of the fob case, then into the ignition slot to start my "non-comfort access" car. I'll just have to try and not lose the fob case when the metal key is in the ignition slot.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='495905' date='Nov 18 2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the help understanding the conventional key and fob functions. Appreciate it

Hey ChiTown...that was what I was looking for...so I am going to have to be slipping the metal key out of the fob case, then into the ignition slot to start my "non-comfort access" car. I'll just have to try and not lose the fob case when the metal key is in the ignition slot.
no, you just put the whole thing in the hole. Then press the start button.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='495907' date='Nov 18 2007, 08:11 AM
no, you just put the whole thing in the hole. Then press the start button.

Oh, I was not understanding that...thanks!! Now what Rudy said makes much more sense

Quick Reply: Kind of embarassed to ask this "silly" question...but