E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

keyed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um i dont know if it is available in your country but did you try fine rubbing compound? Its in liquid form and it is just rubbing compound. (this is not regular wax)

I used that to get rid of scratches of mine but i dont think if this would work for yours but tr y.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by apok97' post='545913' date='Mar 16 2008, 11:33 PM
just a quick update...

The idea of using detailing to repair the scratch has been discounted really. Expert opinion says the location and severity of the scratch could lead to any repair looking worse than it already is, and the recommendation is a proper spray repair.

I'm still looking at options, but I went to another (BMW dealer) body shop over the weekend to get an estimate for the work which came out at approx ?750!!!....The big problem is the labour cost to strip down the body work for painting, coupled with the fact that it is a metallic colour needing additonal panels (front wing and rear passenger door) to be blended in...this BMW shop also discounted a 'smart' repair.

what a ball ache..
Who is that expert?? from the body work shop?? Like westcoast550 said, get yourself some touchup paint and bring it to your detailer, i am pretty sure they can remove most of the scratches by wetsanding and wont make things worse (Even i can do it) , they normally got the paint depth gauge to read the thickness of the paint before they start the work, so it's pretty save (But only find someone pro to do the job) did you try the no. that i gave you? why not give it a go and that could save you money for repaint.

Goodluck
Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530d SE, Mystic Blue with grey dakota leather... ...Sunroof, Through-Loading, heated seats, headlight washer... ......Bluetooth, 6-disc CD, Business Nav, 18" star spoke 123 alloys and a full set of mats

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='546172' date='Mar 17 2008, 11:05 AM
Who is that expert?? from the body work shop?? Like westcoast550 said, get yourself some touchup paint and bring it to your detailer, i am pretty sure they can remove most of the scratches by wetsanding and wont make things worse (Even i can do it) , they normally got the paint depth gauge to read the thickness of the paint before they start the work, so it's pretty save (But only find someone pro to do the job) did you try the no. that i gave you? why not give it a go and that could save you money for repaint.

Goodluck
It was Iain at Finer Details who said:-

"Looking at where the scratch is, location on door, and how severe it is, I would recommend a proper spray repair."

He's also given me the number of a body shop to check out though (not a BMW one). And I've found an outfit called Car Cosmetics in Manchester after discovering this...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1130725/car_body_paint_scratch_repair/

Both places I have been to so far have said the same thing, it needs a respray, and because the paint is metallic, it needs additional panels to be blended in, but there's no way I'm bending over and taking a hit for 750 quid.

I'm not in any particular rush (impending trip to NZ) so will investigate other detailing options...I do have my mystic blue touchup paint already!

Cheers
Andy
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributors

You should try this stuff. It may work if the scratches are deep enough. I have used it on chips and it creates a "perfect" finish. It does not work on small scratches.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
Old 03-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530d SE, Mystic Blue with grey dakota leather... ...Sunroof, Through-Loading, heated seats, headlight washer... ......Bluetooth, 6-disc CD, Business Nav, 18" star spoke 123 alloys and a full set of mats

Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for drcolourchip but not sure it's available in the UK...It looks similar to a product called Langka which is available here.
I've been looking around and QUIXX scratch repair seems like an impressive product, if it delivers what it says it does. I have a couple of minor scratches I could probably use it on anyway.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apok97' post='542804' date='Mar 11 2008, 03:07 AM
There are some pointless m*ther f*ckers out there...

So, can anyone recommend (or know of) a good bodyshop in or around Manchester UK? even a dealer one..

I wasn't in the best of moods this morning anyway. I'd been on the phone to a call centre for 45 mins trying to get my internet working...so this felt like a right kick in the b*llocks

Attachment 46006

Attachment 46007

I feel your pain, my car got keyed twice, it ends up was the appartment manager. My wife stopped me from doing any stupid things, but believing karma will take care of these morons!

Peace!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

That really sucks, its happen to me a couple times in the past. The detailer place did the touch up, wetsand, polish for only $40 for me. It looked as good as new without the cost of a new paint job. Give that a shot first before forking out almost $1000 to get it repainted.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh man that sucks... whats the point? Why do people do that? *shaking head* ya I know... envy, jealously, all the above... but why!? They really need to just respect other people's property. Give me a knife and I'll key his face! Thats why i say some of these people are just a waste of mother earths resources.