E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Key fob problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Just tell him to pony up and buy another key. It needs to be done anyway.

Why is he even dicking around with just one key, and an intermittently working one at that?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Originally Posted by tonyb635
My thoughts now since he has only one key is to order a replacement and then perhaps try opening the old fob and replacing the battery. He told me yesterday that everything was fine and he had an engine over heat. Had car towed to dealer and the WP was replaced and at that time they competed the warranty recall for the battery. Car had like 49000 on it. When he collected the car that evening the fob did not work and the service guy told him to pull the fixed key from the fob to open the car and that the problem is caused by his window tint interfering with the antenna. it's still doing it but totally random... I find it a bit strange.

Tony,

I call BS! I don't think he needs a new key fob or to remove the tint. My car got to the point where it wouldn't unlock unless I was standing right by the door and then I still had to push unlock two or three times. It took a lot of prodding at the dealer to get them to first of all believe me, but then I had to bring them both key fobs and repeatedly tell them about this diversity amplifier before they would actually check it out. They kept trying to tell me about tint and charging the key fob while driving for longer than 20 mins.- ALL BS!! Low in behold it turned out the diversity amplifier needed to be replaced. I guess it controls the FM reception and the key fob reception. It's a $600 part and about 2 hours of labor. Once the dealer replaced that under warranty I can now unlock my car from unbelievably far away and it works first time everytime. Ask your buddy if his FM reception is lousy, that's a good telltale also. But before I go out and start buying key fobs or removing all the tint from my car I would have the dealer test his diversity amplifier, especially if he's under warranty.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by infin8
Tony,

I call BS! I don't think he needs a new key fob or to remove the tint. My car got to the point where it wouldn't unlock unless I was standing right by the door and then I still had to push unlock two or three times. It took a lot of prodding at the dealer to get them to first of all believe me, but then I had to bring them both key fobs and repeatedly tell them about this diversity amplifier before they would actually check it out. They kept trying to tell me about tint and charging the key fob while driving for longer than 20 mins.- ALL BS!! Low in behold it turned out the diversity amplifier needed to be replaced. I guess it controls the FM reception and the key fob reception. It's a $600 part and about 2 hours of labor. Once the dealer replaced that under warranty I can now unlock my car from unbelievably far away and it works first time everytime. Ask your buddy if his FM reception is lousy, that's a good telltale also. But before I go out and start buying key fobs or removing all the tint from my car I would have the dealer test his diversity amplifier, especially if he's under warranty.
Nice to know. I emailed him yesterday and updated him on what he can try to do. I too told him he better go buy another fob. Not so much to test the locks, but for the piece of mind having a second one. I'll have to ask him about the FM reception and see if he's had any issue.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Nice to know. I emailed him yesterday and updated him on what he can try to do. I too told him he better go buy another fob. Not so much to test the locks, but for the piece of mind having a second one. I'll have to ask him about the FM reception and see if he's had any issue.
You are a good friend.