E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

A good friend of mine told me today that his key fob sometimes does not work. He does NOT have comfort access. He took car to dealer and they told him this was caused by his window tint interfering with the antenna. Has anyone on here had this problem? I call BS on this! His car was at 49000 miles when he went in so still under warranty but now he's out. I'm thinking maybe the battery in the fob. Can this be replaced? Dealer also said no, need a need key...
Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyb635
A good friend of mine told me today that his key fob sometimes does not work. He does NOT have comfort access. He took car to dealer and they told him this was caused by his window tint interfering with the antenna. Has anyone on here had this problem? I call BS on this! His car was at 49000 miles when he went in so still under warranty but now he's out. I'm thinking maybe the battery in the fob. Can this be replaced? Dealer also said no, need a need key...
Only CA FOB has a replaceable battery. Yes it is true that some tints (with metallic film) can reduce the effectiveness of the remote FOB.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Only CA FOB has a replaceable battery. Yes it is true that some tints (with metallic film) can reduce the effectiveness of the remote FOB.
Yes, Luigi is right... this happens all the time especially for those who have metallic film all around. I bet you if he points the fob standing in front of the car (assuming of course he did not tint the windshield) the fob will more likely work then any other spot.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Giowizzy
Yes, Luigi is right... this happens all the time especially for those who have metallic film all around. I bet you if he points the fob standing in front of the car (assuming of course he did not tint the windshield) the fob will more likely work then any other spot.
I asked him this and he says when it does not work it does not work. Windows down or up inside r outside car. I'll mention try getting in front of the car and see what happens.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Yep the non CA FOB is a rechargeable battery that charges while being used. Its suggested that you drive at least 2 long drives a year with each FOB. The CA FOB also charges while driving but has a replaceable battery. Perhaps this battery has worn out. Does he have a spare FOB to try?

My windows are tinted with no problem, so Im assuming a new FOB might be in order if he doesnt have a spare.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by plowery21
Yep the non CA FOB is a rechargeable battery that charges while being used. Its suggested that you drive at least 2 long drives a year with each FOB. The CA FOB also charges while driving but has a replaceable battery. Perhaps this battery has worn out. Does he have a spare FOB to try?

My windows are tinted with no problem, so Im assuming a new FOB might be in order if he doesnt have a spare.
I thought the battery could be changed but he was told by the dealer it can't. I was searching last night and I thought I had once read that a member here put something out about changing a non CA battery. He only has on FOB, when he purchased the car there was only one and the problem is intermittent. I would think if it was the tint or the type of tint the problem would be more consistent.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I thought the battery could be changed but he was told by the dealer it can't. I was searching last night and I thought I had once read that a member here put something out about changing a non CA battery. He only has on FOB, when he purchased the car there was only one and the problem is intermittent. I would think if it was the tint or the type of tint the problem would be more consistent.
Hey Tony, If this is his only key I wouldn't recommend this but, but if he gets a new one, then something can do is this:

The fob can be cut open - I did mine with combination dremel and hobbie razor knife. Cut it open, locate the battery and replace it with another re-chargable ( I don't know which one), put it back together with hot glue, sand the edges smooth, paint the edge with black paint.

For my project is wasn't to replace the battery so I don't know which one but I have read of someone doing it. could probably replace it with a non-rechargeable button battery and just don't put it in the ignition slot. In that case, get one of those neoprene fob jackets to hide the cut scars and glue.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Well I had a nice long reply but my computer messed up and I lost it. I would take a look at the website before attempting repair. I sent my key to this guy and he fixed all my problems. Make sure you look at the key fob hall of fame page too.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Non comfort access keys have a rechargable battery inside if its acting up you need a new key or you can try a DIY battery change. Comfort access cars have a non rechargeable battery inside and have to be changed about every year to two years. Comfort access keys do not recharge and that is the reason for the removeable battery in back of the fob.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

My thoughts now since he has only one key is to order a replacement and then perhaps try opening the old fob and replacing the battery. He told me yesterday that everything was fine and he had an engine over heat. Had car towed to dealer and the WP was replaced and at that time they competed the warranty recall for the battery. Car had like 49000 on it. When he collected the car that evening the fob did not work and the service guy told him to pull the fixed key from the fob to open the car and that the problem is caused by his window tint interfering with the antenna. it's still doing it but totally random... I find it a bit strange.

Quick Reply: Key fob problem