E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key / Comfort Access

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had an E90 loaner with the new style key, and push button start. It does not have comfort access. My 04 545i has the old school key that I enjoy inserting into the steering column and turning the key. I don't get the "coolness" feature of the start stop button. Maybe if it had comfort access and I used the features, I would change my mind. I'll be glad when I get rid of the loaner and be able to turn the car on and off without a button. What's the big deal about this feature?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Totally agree with you, w/o the CA, it is worthless. The key looks cooler though but for some reason I prefer the key/turn rather than the key then push.
Funny how the new Toyota Camry made such a big deal about having that feature.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='445838' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:19 PM
Funny how the new Toyota Camry made such a big deal about having that feature.
Now Nissan and Mitsu.

I also had a e90 loaner and the novelty wore off after the 3rd start of the engine. I agree, if it had CA, I might be chiming a diff tune.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='445835' date='Jul 10 2007, 11:11 PM
I've had an E90 loaner with the new style key, and push button start. It does not have comfort access. My 04 545i has the old school key that I enjoy inserting into the steering column and turning the key. I don't get the "coolness" feature of the start stop button. Maybe if it had comfort access and I used the features, I would change my mind. I'll be glad when I get rid of the loaner and be able to turn the car on and off without a button. What's the big deal about this feature?
...the fact that there is no longer a metal protrusion wearing a hole in my trouser pocket or stabbing me in the thigh when I'm trying to get comfortable at my desk at work, or squeezing into a coach class seat on the numerous short flights I make... not the best answer, I'll grant, but it sure does make a difference to me.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

because you get to press a button to start the engine like some race cars, high end exotics, and vintage cars

maybe it also prevents wear on the spark plugs caused from turning the key back and forth a few times before actually firing the engine?

that being said, i think its just a gimmick.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 325i 2007 Lexus G350

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='445881' date='Jul 10 2007, 06:01 PM
because you get to press a button to start the engine like some race cars, high end exotics, and vintage cars

maybe it also prevents wear on the spark plugs caused from turning the key back and forth a few times before actually firing the engine?

that being said, i think its just a gimmick.

Perhaps so...as for me, I love not having to take a key out of my pocket for anything! Once it's in my pocket, it stays there until I get ready to take my pants off.

I haven't seen my wife take out her key FOB out of her bag for anything, ever since we got the car either.

Open the trunk, open the car doors, start the car and no fumbling with the key... we love it!

Fixing to install a new front door lock in the house. No key to lose, it reads your fingerprint.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='445881' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:01 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but in the E60 you don't have to turn the key back and forth a few times, once you turn it once the car controls the ignition so you don't even have to hold it until the car starts. It works just like the button.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

The only thing I can think of is there is also less moving parts in the steering column and this is just another form of progress. That said, I do have CA and don't think I could live without it now. I don't know how many times I've had two kids in my arms and by just putting a hand on the door handle was easily able to open the doors without fumbling for the keys. What I can't figure out though is why some BMW models offer CA at half the cost of the e60???
Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HughH' post='445884' date='Jul 10 2007, 04:19 PM
Perhaps so...as for me, I love not having to take a key out of my pocket for anything! Once it's in my pocket, it stays there until I get ready to take my pants off.

I haven't seen my wife take out her key FOB out of her bag for anything, ever since we got the car either.

Open the trunk, open the car doors, start the car and no fumbling with the key... we love it!

Fixing to install a new front door lock in the house. No key to lose, it reads your fingerprint.
Hugh, you bring up a good point. My traditional key needs to be inserted to, of course, start the car but it also is req'd to charge the key and the chip in it. My wife has maybe driven my car maybe twice and I can bet that her key no longer holds a charge and probably couldn't start the car. We'll, I guess that's a good thing b/c the car is mine, mine, mine.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, platinum gray w/ nat brown; anthracite headliner, PP, SP, CWP, 18" wheels, L7, Ipod, FDR seats

How do you lock the car with the CA? I was planning to pass on this option if I order a 535xi...just seems like an awful lot of $ for it. I can see $300 or so, not 1K.

Quick Reply: Key / Comfort Access