E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Keep getting harassed for plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Get John's ,motorized front plate. So James Bond
Old 05-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Originally Posted by bmwgroup
Awesome job helping the Officer fill his "monthly quota" and giving your state some revenue!!

Definitely give John a call and get that motorized slide out front plate thing
If you ask any LEO, the "quota" thing is a myth. LEO's are free to write as many or a few tickets as they want. Whether it be for tint, speeding no plate etc. Most LEO's could sit on any street in Anywhere, US and cite almost every citizen for some infringement. Didn't keep that signal on ntil you were fully into the lane.....ticketable offense. Sped up to get thru the yellow....ticketable. I used to do ride alongs with my cousin in the Clevland PD (killed in line of duty 2 years ago) and saw first hand how many things EVERY driver does that 80% of officers look the other way.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e60oholic
I feel your pain, I'm 22 and I got harassed by my local amherst cops too. I got pulled over twice in a month for no front plate and tint. They make a big deal about the car being to nice for me and ask me what I do for work, I respectfully decline to answer seeing its none of their business. I had one cop tell me, I don't fucking care who you know, I don't care if your uncle is the chief, but the next time I see you and you don't have a front plate and ALL of your tint off I'm giving you a ticket for anything and everything I can (that was in my e60. I had the flip up front plate on my old stock bumper but as of last week I switched to the m5 front and i refuse to drill any holes. I was thinking about a custom euro plate with my NY plate numbers on it to really confuse them lol. I drove my old e39 around for a couple years with no tint and no front plate and never got bothered once! And this always happens within a mile from my house
Damn Amherst cop, harassed me like crazy for tints when I go to school there.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, sport/ premium package, manual transmission, black on black. No add ons yet. Outstanding shape!

Originally Posted by tex_phil
I live in a small area outside of SA where the cops are known to be nazis. Its right by a military base and has WAY too many cops for the area. I got pulled over literally 150 feet from my house at a CVS 3 months ago for my tint and no front plate. The guy waited for me and pulled me over saying. "You are asking to be pulled over" He was kinda a a-hole, maybe because I look so young driving the car. I changed my tint because I can't pay the fine without showing proof of changing it. CHanged the front windows to 35%, but left the backs 5, don't like it near as much.

Anyways I decide to go home to eat, because there is too much traffic on the highway. I'm probably a couple 100 feet from the house and the cop speed up behind me, and I'm like WTF, I wasn't speeding. He goes "Didn't I pulled you over recently for no front plate" And its the same damn cop! I've been driving around 6 years in cars with no front plates and have NEVER been pulled over for it except this clown. Now theres no way I'm drilling holes in my bumper for a plate. If I HAVE to somehow put a plate up front, do you guys think I could get away with a Euro Plate being displayed? I thought, maybe I could just put the plate under the sunvisor and have it down when I enter in the area I live.

Move to PA, no front plates required. I bought my 545 from Ohio where front plates are required and the previous owner did NOT have front plates brackets mounted, so my front bumper is as it should be: with no holes!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I took a tin snips and cut about 3/8" off of the entire border of my Colorado license plate. It was not enough to be noticed nor to qualify as an illegal "alteration".

What this did is it made the plate fit nicely on the bumper so that no part of it protruded into the open areas either above or below. Thus, it did not impact the design of the front. I used small stainless screws - the kind like they use on commercial toilet dividers - that you can't "unscrew" without a special tool. Good luck, Phil.