E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Keep getting harassed for plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I am running a promo for $140 shipped for the remote control license plate. https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...er-month-sale/
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I'm glad I'm not between the ages of 16-22, but then again, I never had a car that nice when I was that age.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Awesome job helping the Officer fill his "monthly quota" and giving your state some revenue!!

Definitely give John a call and get that motorized slide out front plate thing
Old 05-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mookish
But we all like the "no plate at all" look
+10000000
Old 05-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
I'm glad I'm not between the ages of 16-22, but then again, I never had a car that nice when I was that age.
Hey C I wanted to ask you what ever happened to your E63 did you keep it?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the matter with you people-zip tying, fold out plates etc.

Did nobody read my post. Strong 3M tape works perfectly with no holes, removable and keeps your bumper perfect. It also sits flush against the bumper and with a nice black frame blends in nicely or atleast looks ok. In europe that is what they do with temp plates.

If you want to have the zip tie look by all means.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by Diamond
What is the matter with you people-zip tying, fold out plates etc.

Did nobody read my post. Strong 3M tape works perfectly with no holes, removable and keeps your bumper perfect. It also sits flush against the bumper and with a nice black frame blends in nicely or atleast looks ok. In europe that is what they do with temp plates.

If you want to have the zip tie look by all means.
You cannot see the zip tie on an MSport bumper at all. It's mounted not on the actual bumper but on the grill area, a plate fits perfectly there.

Here's a pic (me on the left obviously), and my brother's M35

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Ghostteck
Hey C I wanted to ask you what ever happened to your E63 did you keep it?
No longer. Cousin has it now.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Members

I don't have a front plate either (although I have a mount). Frankly, I don't care for the look of it. I haven't been hassled yet (knock on wood).

Check the language of your local law that requires a front license plate. I did a few years ago and the law - as stipulated - specified that the front plate be not higher than 39 or 40 inches (can't remember) from the ground and secured to the car. It did not mention that the plate had to be secured to the outside of the car or to the bumper. In other words, you may be able to meet the legal requirement to have your front plate visible by sliding it above your dash and between it and the windshield. This way it is visible from the front of your E60. Am I splitting hairs here? Maybe, maybe not.

Usually, I keep my front license plate under my seat. Sometimes if I feel threatened, I'll pull it out and put it in place. When I am no longer in danger, I put it back under my seat. Around here, the only cops that care about this is the county sheriff - and I seldom see those guys.

Seems to me that if a cop pulls me over for not having the plate on the front bumper, after seeing it in the windshield, that cop must be having an awful bad day anyway and looking to give someone else a bad day also.

I would caution you that if you go with the above approach, make sure you put that plate in the window well before the cop can potentially notice YOU among all the other cars on the road. It would look rather suspicious to a cop if he saw you do that, although the actual truthful explanation is plausible. Additionally, if your license/insurance/registration checks out (which I fully expect that it does), you have nothing to hide.

I have gotten into the habit of finding the cops before they find me, mainly because I need to know when to control my lead foot.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Members

Try the Skene front plate bracket. This is what I put on my car. I found this originally on the E90 forum. The bracket attaches under the bumper. I searched a long time for a solution that did not entail drilling on the front side of the bumper. IMO the tow hook plate brackets being off center do not look good. I have had the Skene on my car for about 4 months now and it is rock solid. I was a little nervous drilling the pilot holes for the bracket. But if you decide down the line to go back to no front plate, just remove the bracket and the holes are up underneath and virtually impossible to see vs having holes drilled on the front side of bumper. Hope this helps.

Skene Design

Quick Reply: Keep getting harassed for plates