E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Keep getting harassed for plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KAF
Am I missing something here.

As I read it, the law requires something of your car, you refuse to comply and then complain that the police are 'harassing you' about it.

+1000 I don't get it either. To summarize the first post it goes like this : "I keep breaking the law and these cops keep hassling me for it, and for that I think they're assholes".

What is it with y'all and wanting to have no front plate? Why not have no plates at all ? If you want to be plateless, why limit it only to the front?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by DD_545i
+1000 I don't get it either. To summarize the first post it goes like this : "I keep breaking the law and these cops keep hassling me for it, and for that I think they're assholes".

What is it with y'all and wanting to have no front plate? Why not have no plates at all ? If you want to be plateless, why limit it only to the front?
IMO I don't think the police are pulling them over primaraly for not having a front plate there getting pulled over for having tint on the front windows, the police want to see who is in the car and they can't with the tint on the front windows. After checking the car thats when they see that there is no front plate. I'm willing to bet the people getting pulled over for not having a front plare also have tinted front windows.
cheers
vern
Old 05-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Members

Your problem now, whether you like it or not, is that you have a reputation with at least this one cop. You likely will have to find a way to comply. You can do the flip plate but that might buy you one visit by him, the next time he pulls you over it will be because he paid closer attention. If he finds you purposefully adding the plate only after he pulls you over get ready...

I had a cop in my neighborhood that pulled me over for tint too dark on my suburban... 5% everywhere. I mentioned that I have family in law enforcement and he was fine, let me go with a verbal warning. A week later he pulls me over again and asks why I hadn't yet taken care of it. Another warning and off I go. He pulls me over a third time after a stop light... says "what color was the light when you went through it?" I look back, it's still green. "ok then, I see your tint is still on the truck. This is my last professional courtesy." I honestly didn't want to deal with it anymore, 15 years I had driven without anybody caring about 5% tint and this guy does. Well, at this point he's the only guy I have to worry about and I don't want the trouble. I changed the fronts to 35% and lived with it. Easier to deal with a look that isn't exactly what I want than being pulled over constantly.

This guy is going to keep on you until you do something about it permanently... at this point it's personal for him.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by Diamond
Are you 16? Sorry you cant get away with a euro plate" on the front of your car. Needing a plate does not mean any old plate it means your registered liscense plate. Cant believe someone even has to tell you this. You can use 3M tape to put it on your front bumper-that is what I have done for 2 years and it comes off easily (I just removed mine after 2 years with no scratch or damage to the bumper) YOu need the extra strengh industrial 3m tape.
I'm 22.

I guess I'll have to get that flip plate thing.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or try little suction cups to temporary mount it and dismount it till you get ticket and go to the police station and have them sign it off as being mounted. That is what I did before and paint the back side of the suction to black so it looks like screws.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Diamond
Are you 16? Sorry you cant get away with a euro plate" on the front of your car. Needing a plate does not mean any old plate it means your registered liscense plate. Cant believe someone even has to tell you this. You can use 3M tape to put it on your front bumper-that is what I have done for 2 years and it comes off easily (I just removed mine after 2 years with no scratch or damage to the bumper) YOu need the extra strengh industrial 3m tape.

Phil, ignore Diamond please, he's a douchebag that wasn't loved much as a child. He's taking it out on everyone he meets now.
The flip out plate thing is a great idea
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 AM
New Members

You are already on the radar so good luck. From his point of view, he gave you a break and now you are essentially saying "F-U" every time you drive by him with no front plate.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

zip tie it to the bottom grill
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by healthservices
Before the bumper change

Click to see video
That's just too awesome
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by healthservices
Before the bumper change

Click to see video
I love it!! It's VERY James Bond!!

Quick Reply: Keep getting harassed for plates