E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just smoked a late 90s model Mustang Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

[/quote] But, given that the foibles are going to happen, I would prefer that the foible engagers take the responsible to affect others negatively as little as possible than not to take this responsibility.

The bottom line is that good and bad don't exist for me. Thus, better and worse don't exist for me. And, carried to the next step, right and wrong don't exist to me. Things are right and wrong only because of law, some arbitrary moral code, or religion. [/quote]

vnod, thanks for explaining and for your response. And while I don't agree with this viewpoint, I think I understand what you are saying.

I would just say that you can choose your actions but you can't choose your consequences. So, whether or not someone believes in the moral code that society has chosen to follow (whether for legal, religious, or other reasons), if you violate that code, then you can't choose the consequence that society has deemed appropriate for that offense.

And my original comment was really in reference to the drinking and driving comment. Because while you may not intend to hurt others, someone who is impaired can not make reasonable decisions and guarantee that other lives won't be impacted by their actions.

Obviously, those of us who have had people close to them lose their lives due to the irresponsible actions of others may be a bit more sensitive on this subject.

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain. I'm glad we have a forum like this where we can offer differing opinions in a sane, responsible manner.

We certainly can agree on our choice of cars----mine is (will be) the same color!

Cheers!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Could someone explain to me why winning a race is called a, "kill?" Does it mean that you can get yourself killed or others in the process winning the race?

I guess it's like smoking cigarettes. As long as you buff the smoke to someone else (so they don't get second hand smoke), then it's OK if you want to harm yourself for the thrill (addiction). Really, if you have the car, the will, and the addiction, race. Just don't get anyone else killed or harm and then say, "I didn't know" because that would be the lamest excuse and desires life in prison.

So I say, "Cool "kill" story." In my level-headed state of mind, I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

But, given that the foibles are going to happen, I would prefer that the foible engagers take the responsible to affect others negatively as little as possible than not to take this responsibility.

The bottom line is that good and bad don't exist for me. Thus, better and worse don't exist for me. And, carried to the next step, right and wrong don't exist to me. Things are right and wrong only because of law, some arbitrary moral code, or religion. [/quote]

vnod, thanks for explaining and for your response. And while I don't agree with this viewpoint, I think I understand what you are saying.

Hi hoopsrob: You are very welcome. All I was trying to do was to generate understanding of my points. I am glad I did so.

I would just say that you can choose your actions but you can't choose your consequences. So, whether or not someone believes in the moral code that society has chosen to follow (whether for legal, religious, or other reasons), if you violate that code, then you can't choose the consequence that society has deemed appropriate for that offense.

Definitely true--assuming one is found out.

And my original comment was really in reference to the drinking and driving comment. Because while you may not intend to hurt others, someone who is impaired can not make reasonable decisions and guarantee that other lives won't be impacted by their actions.

The seriousness of the bad decisions is likely to depend, in part, on the degree of impairment. But, I emphasize that I think that, regardless of the level of impairment, one's decision making is likely to suffer. I still prefer, whatever the level, that those impaired commit themselves to doing their best not to hurt others.

Obviously, those of us who have had people close to them lose their lives due to the irresponsible actions of others may be a bit more sensitive on this subject.

Definitely, but keep in mind that those killed/injured by the foibles of others will feel the same way whatever the foibles.

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain. I'm glad we have a forum like this where we can offer differing opinions in a sane, responsible manner.

I have enjoyed the conversation and would be happy to do so again anytime. I like it when we all can avoid hysterics.

We certainly can agree on our choice of cars----mine is (will be) the same color!

Great. Looking forward to pics.

Best regards, vnod

Cheers!
[/quote]
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='210764' date='Dec 13 2005, 02:57 PM
Could someone explain to me why winning a race is called a, "kill?" Does it mean that you can get yourself killed or others in the process winning the race?

Good one.

I guess it's like smoking cigarettes. As long as you buff the smoke to someone else (so they don't get second hand smoke), then it's OK if you want to harm yourself for the thrill (addiction). Really, if you have the car, the will, and the addiction, race. Just don't get anyone else killed or harm and then say, "I didn't know" because that would be the lamest excuse and desires life in prison.

I agree that if one blows it, then he or she had better be prepared to take the consequences.

So I say, "Cool "kill" story." In my level-headed state of mind, I wouldn't do it.
Me too.