E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just smoked a late 90s model Mustang Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i

This is interesting - Ray, as former DMV Deputy Commissioner, do you have the willpower to never "unleash the beast"? How do you handle the once-in-a-while urge?

I'm just curious - if I were DMV I'd probably use those DMV driving skills to my utmost advantage! Which is why I didn't take that career path - what a bad public officer I would be.....
Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Members

The Cobra that did a 4.4 0 to 60 had to be an 03 or up. Those cars had blowers put on them stock and are very fast.

You probably beat a 2002 or older, those cars have considerably less HP and torque, but still no slouches.

Nice kill!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

there is nothing like German engineering power
Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Kadonny' post='210295' date='Dec 12 2005, 11:43 AM
The Cobra that did a 4.4 0 to 60 had to be an 03 or up. Those cars had blowers put on them stock and are very fast.

You probably beat a 2002 or older, those cars have considerably less HP and torque, but still no slouches.

Nice kill!
No, my post #5 is correct and is easily verified.

"Road Test: Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R
This limited-edition, 385-horse pony runs 12s and pulls 1.01g!

By Jack Keebler
Photography by John Kiewicz
Motor Trend, April 2000

If unbridled Mustang enthusiasm were heat, you could toast marshmallows off John Coletti from 50 feet away. Coletti is Ford's Special Vehicle Engineering manager, and the thermonuclear boss behind the baddest-asp production Cobra, yet. "
Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I concur with vnod,

A good friend of mine actually owns one of those rare '00 R's.
It's more race car than street car.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='210277
i laugh at the wimps who say "take it to the track" For them I had my 2004 545 up to 142mph on the sprainbrook parkway in ny.It felt like i was going 65 mph .What a great feeling.Although i hit 100 mph regularly it was a bit more of a rush doing 142mph
No kidding. Might as well drive a Toyota Corola if one is not allowed to stretch their legs a bit on the highway. What is the big deal as long as you're not driving recklessly...like weaving in and out of traffic or something stupid. Do you guys that say "take it to the track" to drive fast really always drive the speed limit or stay less than 10 mph over the speed limit and why would you judge someone on a forum about how they drive their car if you were not there to see how reckless they were behaving? It is like having your parents or a nanny on the forum.

But, I respect your opinion and it helps make this a great forum...with all the different personalities and opinions. So please don't stop being yourself.

PS: I drive safely but fast sometimes...okay, most of the time, and do not race people. And, I wish I had a track to take mine to.
[/quote]

Laugh if you want, but a good buddy of mine lost his kid sister because two guys were racing and one of them lost control and the rest, as they say, is history. Guy didn't even have insurance to top it off.

I'm pretty laissez-faire and tend to be a libertarian on most issues, but there is a difference between driving fast (or speeding) and going all out for a "kill" -- sorry, no pun intended.

All apologies in advance, but I'm going to leave this thread and get off my bully pulpit before I really offend someone.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210329

Nice kill!
No, my post #5 is correct and is easily verified.

"Road Test: Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R
This limited-edition, 385-horse pony runs 12s and pulls 1.01g!

By Jack Keebler
Photography by John Kiewicz
Motor Trend, April 2000

If unbridled Mustang enthusiasm were heat, you could toast marshmallows off John Coletti from 50 feet away. Coletti is Ford's Special Vehicle Engineering manager, and the thermonuclear boss behind the baddest-asp production Cobra, yet. "
[/quote]

Vnod, I don't doubt it now. I remember the steam catapult analogy and also the marshmellow reference. Unfortunately my memory is not as good as I wish. A friend of mine was talking about getting a mustang recently and I dug out some old issues to give him. I must have read it then. Sounds like you save old issues too. Drives my wife crazy with me saving all the car magazines. She just doesn't get it. I just moved and threw alot of them away rather than move them Amazing how much all those magazines weigh.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='210342
Originally Posted by sleek545' post='210250' date='Dec 12 2005, 08:41 AM
i laugh at the wimps who say "take it to the track" For them I had my 2004 545 up to 142mph on the sprainbrook parkway in ny.It felt like i was going 65 mph .What a great feeling.Although i hit 100 mph regularly it was a bit more of a rush doing 142mph
No kidding. Might as well drive a Toyota Corola if one is not allowed to stretch their legs a bit on the highway. What is the big deal as long as you're not driving recklessly...like weaving in and out of traffic or something stupid. Do you guys that say "take it to the track" to drive fast really always drive the speed limit or stay less than 10 mph over the speed limit and why would you judge someone on a forum about how they drive their car if you were not there to see how reckless they were behaving? It is like having your parents or a nanny on the forum.

But, I respect your opinion and it helps make this a great forum...with all the different personalities and opinions. So please don't stop being yourself.

PS: I drive safely but fast sometimes...okay, most of the time, and do not race people. And, I wish I had a track to take mine to.
Laugh if you want, but a good buddy of mine lost his kid sister because two guys were racing and one of them lost control and the rest, as they say, is history. Guy didn't even have insurance to top it off.

I'm pretty laissez-faire and tend to be a libertarian on most issues, but there is a difference between driving fast (or speeding) and going all out for a "kill" -- sorry, no pun intended.

All apologies in advance, but I'm going to leave this thread and get off my bully pulpit before I really offend someone.
[/quote]

You are forgiven and I apologize for piling on.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='210342
Originally Posted by sleek545' post='210250' date='Dec 12 2005, 08:41 AM

[/quote]I don't think anyone should be laughed at becaue of their opinions, etc. ipse d's opinion is as good as anyone else's and is not laughable. And, calling those who do not agree with "you" wimps is impolite, flaming, and disrespectful--things that once again I am asking us to refrain from doing.

Virtually all of us do things in cars that it might be better if we did not do. I say "might be better" because there is no way to know if one's actions are better or not since, among other things, you can never tell what might have happened had the actions not been taken. For example, suppose a BMW driver is going the speed limit, is T-boned, and all parties involved are killed. Would it have been better if the BMW driver had been speeding and, thus, would have avoided the accident? Well, maybe yes and maybe no. What if the other parties killed were terrosists carrying a nuclear device which would have been detonated within the hour in a large city?

There are many cases where individuals have been killed because of speeding, alcohol consumption, cell phone usage, arguing, and on and on and on. I think we all just have to live with the foibles of each other and hope for the best--not making judgments about them along the way. And, thinking about judgments, I don't think that it is possible to say, for example, that putting on make up while driving is more or less bad or forgiveable than, say, speeding or engaging in streeties. Such judgments involve too many imponderables such as potential outcomes, frequencies of engaging in make-up putting on, speeds at which make up is put on, how fast and often one speeds, where one engages in streeties, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

On the other hand, if I am behaving irresponsibly, then I will do my best to make sure others won't pay a price for my irresponsibility--which is not always easy to do. So, I would only ask that we use the best judgment we can when engaging in our foibles--whether they involve an occassional streetie, driving while drinking, putting on make up, fighting with the kid, etc., etc., etc.

Personally, I am unable to justify any of the bads I do--speeding, especially on the highway, engaging in occassional low-speed "safe" streeties, and trying to figure out unfamiliar or recalcitrant BMW devices while driving. The issue I am attempting to deal with is a hard one for me because a goal of mine is to be the best possible example I can be in every circumstance. And, the issue reminds me that I fall short frequently.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210434' date='Dec 12 2005, 04:33 PM
On the other hand, if I am behaving irresponsibly, then I will do my best to make sure others won't pay a price for my irresponsibility--which is not always easy to do. So, I would only ask that we use the best judgment we can when engaging in our foibles--whether they involve an occassional streetie, driving while drinking
VNOD-- I've always seen your posts as logical and fair minded so I want to make sure I understand what you are saying here.

Are you stating that if your 'foible' is driving while drinking, then you will do your best to make sure that others won't pay a price for your irresponsibility??

Please tell me I am misunderstanding this as I can not understand this logic.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='210461
On the other hand, if I am behaving irresponsibly, then I will do my best to make sure others won't pay a price for my irresponsibility--which is not always easy to do. So, I would only ask that we use the best judgment we can when engaging in our foibles--whether they involve an occassional streetie, driving while drinking
VNOD-- I've always seen your posts as logical and fair minded so I want to make sure I understand what you are saying here.

Are you stating that if your 'foible' is driving while drinking, then you will do your best to make sure that others won't pay a price for your irresponsibility??

Please tell me I am misunderstanding this as I can not understand this logic.
[/quote]
Thank you for the compliment. I think I understand your issue.

Yes, I am saying that "if ... [my] 'foible' is driving while drinking, then ... [I] will do ... [my] best to make sure that others won't pay a price for ... [my] irresponsibility. Similarly, if my foible is speeding, then I will do my best to make sure that others won't pay a price for my irresponsibility.

I think, for example, that you would advocate that I do my best to keep others from paying a price if I choose to drink and drive. Advocating me doing my best in this regard is not the same thing as advocating that I drink and drive. I don't think we should advocate our foibles. But, given that the foibles are going to happen, I would prefer that the foible engagers take the responsible to affect others negatively as little as possible than not to take this responsibility. And, as mentioned, I can't judge drinking and driving to be worse than, say, make-up putting on. There are too many imponderables to make such a judgment.

I understand why you would have trouble with my thinking. The bottom line is that good and bad don't exist for me. Thus, better and worse don't exist for me. And, carried to the next step, right and wrong don't exist to me. Things are right and wrong only because of law, some arbitrary moral code, or religion. Because right and wrong don't exist for an individual does not mean that he or she necessarily would behave illegally, contrary to all moral codes, or inconsistently with all religions. In this regard, many exhibit behavior that is consistent with legalities and most moral codes and religions while professing no specific moral code or religion.

Above, I said "I would rather that the foible engagers take the responsible to affect others negatively as little as possible than not to take this responsibility." Note that I said "I would prefer that ..." rather than "It would be better that ...." My point is that taking the responsibility is consistent with my preference, but doing so is not better than the alternative IMO. Similarly, I will take responsibility because my preferences so dictate, but not because doing so would be better.

Post back if I can clarify more.

Quick Reply: Just smoked a late 90s model Mustang Cobra