E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just purchased a 545i

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stavros' post='551247' date='Mar 26 2008, 05:19 PM
What model BMW 7 Series did you have? How about some pics of your new ride.
I had a 735i and boy was it a beast with electrical and mech. issues. Had it for about a year and half and said that was enough. Head and tail lights would go on and off when ever they felt like it (org. owner spent around 4K tracking down the issue through the years and thought they had it solved), sometimes just the left tail light would go out, blown head gasket, rear differential broke, the all to common vibrations at certain speeds, and a few more minor issues (getting a headache thinking about it). Tranny was replaced just before I bought it so that saved me some coin. Plus all the std. stuff you expect when you buy a used car like brakes and tires. Luckly I had a guy who was quite good with these cars and saved me thousands and I got the car cheap as more of a third car so it didn't really intrupt my daily life to much except in the pocket book. Keep in mind this all happen in about 10K miles of pretty easy driving. Hate to see what would happen if you beat on it a little. This car was just bad egg from day one after I did some digging around on it. Ending up selling it to the guy who did the work on it for what I paid for it.

I'll get some pics up one of these days.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bama214' post='551252' date='Mar 26 2008, 05:29 PM
Congrats on the purchase.

I too bought a 2004 545i with SMG, NAV, and sport package just a couple of months ago. Also low miles (29,000), but purchased outside the BMW CPO program with an add-on comprehensive warrantee. So far so good.

Since then I've added Bluetooth and the Aux input for my MP3 player. Both were worthwhile. In the process I was updated to the latest operating software which did seem to smooth out some issues with the SMG.

Great car for a great price (glad I didn't take the depreciation hit from new!)

Welcome to the Forum -- I've learned a lot in the past few months due to the experts here.
I'm glad I didn't take the hit either.

I've always operated under the theory of buying a few years old with low miles and good history when I buy cars (excluding the 735i which was more of a third car and it was beast with issues). Usually you know your getting a solid car that hasn't been riddled with issues and very well taking care of. My car and I'm sure yours basically looked like someone just took the plastic off the seats. Plus now with the CPO programs and the comp. warranties out there you really take away the only risk of buying used.

Is there anyway to tell what software your car is running? Does the dealer usually update this when its in getting maintance/service if there is an update? What is the most current version?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='551200' date='Mar 26 2008, 01:47 PM
P.S.: SMG is really a piece of art as far as transmissions go. I totally agree with what others said on here that if you drive it for a ten minute test drive you aren't going to like it (unless your test drive is on a track). After driving it now for a week it is simply awesome. Didn't take long to get the overall feel of it and getting even better with each drive.

I like you already!

Congrats on the car! Auburn interior is AWESOME!!!! 545 is awesome!!! SMG is awesome!!!! you couldnt have made a finer choice.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Pics please
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Congrats! Welcome aboard.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: Fast!

Welcome!! and awesome car. I know what you mean about wanting to go faster and faster, even when you do, the urge is still there!!

Enjoy your car and this site!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport: Titanium Gray on Gray Dakota with Black Poplar Trim, SMG Transmission, Active Steering, Logic 7, Navigation

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='551274' date='Mar 26 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm glad I didn't take the hit either.

I've always operated under the theory of buying a few years old with low miles and good history when I buy cars (excluding the 735i which was more of a third car and it was beast with issues). Usually you know your getting a solid car that hasn't been riddled with issues and very well taking care of. My car and I'm sure yours basically looked like someone just took the plastic off the seats. Plus now with the CPO programs and the comp. warranties out there you really take away the only risk of buying used.

Is there anyway to tell what software your car is running? Does the dealer usually update this when its in getting maintance/service if there is an update? What is the most current version?
From what I've read on this forum, there is no easy way to determine the vintage of the software other than get the info from BMW when it's in for service. My understanding is that they won't upgrade you unless you have specific issues that are addressed by a software update (but that also appears to vary dealer-by-dealer). There are many posts on this forum that can alert you to known issues that are solved by SW updates. I believe the latest version is 28.