E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just my luck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

As mentioned in a previous thread on here... Lady rear-ended me not too long ago. I made the most of it, and had the shop order me the M-Sport rear bumper instead. I only had to pay the difference in cost - so it came out to be a really good deal for me. Thanks careless lady!

I just got the car back the day before yesterday all uber-shiny and clean. OEM M-Sport bumper looks *awesome*. That + my just-mounted Miro 111's just make me love the way the car looks even more than I already did.

Anyways... I'm driving home tonight. NJ Parkway was pretty empty, but all the fog made it impossible to see, so I'm going pretty slow. About 10 mins into the drive... this pretty message comes up:

Name:  S17Lp.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  503 Bytes

I pull over to the highway, lift the hood... and I can hear the car's fans spinning at full speed. I turn off the engine and do the button pressing pattern to show the temp display. It's nearing 120C =\

Had the car towed to my trustworthy indie shop. I just got home... about 3.5 hours later.

I'm almost certain it is the water pump at fault for this.
Car is just about to hit 56k miles, and I've heard many accounts of people's water pumps going around that ballpark mileage. Thankfully that's actually one of the things that's covered by my rather very limited powertrain warranty! Most of the tow is covered by them too.

*sigh* I just wanna drive my car

Here she is being strapped to the tow truck!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Bummer dude I know how you feel - been there Look at the bright side, after it's all done, you'll be able to drive it at least 15-20 mins before something else goes wrong... Sorry for my crappy humor - just trying to cheer you up a bit I really have been there - I've already replaced the belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat, clutch, flywheel, spark plugs, brakes... the list is too long but what keeps me going is trying to always replace the broken/worn parts with better components (though, water pump isn't exactly "upgradeable", but do get the OEM! ) - kinda like what you did with the back bumper...

anyway, best wishes, hang in there
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Sorry for the luck my dude. Keep your head up. Hopefully when this is repaired you will be "Right as Rain" as the Oracle says.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Just yesterday morning I was discussing the very same thing with a friend of mine. Same warnings etc... It turned out to be a sensor on the radiator cost him $32.00 and a five minutes to install. Sounds to be the same thing except he said when he turned on the AC the fan did not come on. The sensor was in the area of the top right radiator.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Just yesterday morning I was discussing the very same thing with a friend of mine. Same warnings etc... It turned out to be a sensor on the radiator cost him $32.00 and a five minutes to install. Sounds to be the same thing except he said when he turned on the AC the fan did not come on. The sensor was in the area of the top right radiator.
Huh... Ok. Interesting.

So it could be possible that the water pump didn't go. It was my first suspect given what I've heard from others, the given mileage, etc. However that sounds very plausible too.

What model does the friend of yours have? Do you know the name of the sensor?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Huh... Ok. Interesting.

So it could be possible that the water pump didn't go. It was my first suspect given what I've heard from others, the given mileage, etc. However that sounds very plausible too.

go over to realoem.com, plugin your car info and you should be able to find...
Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Huh... Ok. Interesting.

He has a 07 530. Out of warranty and has ~ 130.000 on it. He had the overheating and did a little trouble shooting and then searched a couple of forums and changed out this sensor. He told me no tools to remove it, it just clips in. I haven't look for mine, but he said it was on the upper right side of the radiator area. If you have the a extended service plan I would use that unless it's something that is not covered. But in reality, it could be quite a number of things that could cause it to overheat. I've learned in the past to figure out for sure the problem before just changing things out. I didn't like the fact that my idea was always wrong and wasting money only to find out it was something else or the last thing that i chaged out...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Your car does look nice with the Miro 111's on her.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT Alpine White, 2013 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White

can you please explain how to see the car engine temp when you mention "the button pressing pattern to show the temp display"? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by Fleainat
can you please explain how to see the car engine temp when you mention "the button pressing pattern to show the temp display"? Thanks!
www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf

Add the last FIVE numbers to calculate your unlock code, then use menu 7.