E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just how bad is the 2006 525xi? (USA version)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Greetings, fellow members:

I just closed on a 2006, 525xI CPO with 34K miles. I also negotiated the BMW Service agreement. I had made my decision based on Consumer Reports ratings, however, after going back on Consumer Reports, I realized that I was looking at the RWD vesion instead of the AWD.

As it turns out, Consumer Reports lists the 2006 525xI as a "Much Worse than Average" car for reliabilty, and it is the only year and drivetrain that they actually listed on the "Used Cars to avoid" list.

As you can imagine, I am now really terrified. I have 11 years experience with the 3 series, but this would be my first 5 series and I don't want it to be a nightmare. I realize that I have bumper to bumper coverage for one more year and then CPO warranty for two more years, but I plan on keeping this car for 8 years and I dread having to take out a second mortgage for the last 5 years.

I have 3 days to get out of the contract, so if you would please post your comments on your experience (good or bad) with this car, I would be eternally grateful. Please be as candid as possible; I don't mind if you think this car is horrible and I would look for a different year 5 series because it really felt comfortable and a much higher level than the 3 series.

Thank you so much,

Joe
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

There are several members here that have the 525xi, I'm sure they will chime in with opinions sooner rather than later. If it's any comfort to you, I have not heard (as is read) any complaints about the 525xi on the forum recently. Do a search using the tool bar on the top right hand side of the forum page. You will find it a terrific tool in helping you find hidden information. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

I have 2006 xi and I have read basically all postings about Xdrive during past year. I haven't had any problems with drivetrain and I cannot recall any other member with Xdrive problems. USA and Europe versions have identical drive train as far as I know.

This is quite interesting - Did customer report give any reason for their "recommendation"??
Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by vesil' post='663941' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:30 PM
I have 2006 xi and I have read basically all postings about Xdrive during past year. I haven't had any problems with drivetrain and I cannot recall any other member with Xdrive problems. USA and Europe versions have identical drive train as far as I know.

This is quite interesting - Did customer report give any reason for their "recommendation"??

No, "Consumer Reports" base their recommendations on surveys of respective car owners, but they do not post the specific details. It is worrysome, but based on my own research, I think that the worst thing I should expect from my E60 would be the dreaded Idrive problem, which, I am hoping has been ironed out on my car, since it has been on the road for three years. I can't wait to get my eager, little hands on it, in two days.

Thank you for your reply. It is very reassuring.

Joe
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

You're welcome!

I guess that 2006 Xi owners sample in this study has been quite small and result is misleading. Typical to statistical studies...

Good luck with new car!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vesil' post='663978' date='Sep 7 2008, 02:46 PM
You're welcome!
I guess that 2006 Xi owners sample in this study has been quite small and result is misleading. Typical to statistical studies...
Good luck with new car!
+1 I suspect that the data was skewed by sample size. Except for drivetrain there isn't much different than a RWD 525/530. I do feel that the added weight and drivetrain drag makes my 530xi "feel" slower than a RWD version but the actual performance numbers are pretty close. It also takes a small hit on fuel economy.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

I'd take consumer reports ratings on cars with a grain of salt. Different cars different folks. Owner of Chevy Cobalt is much more likely not to complain about squeak as an owner of a BMW, MB, Lexus, Audi, and so on. Plus with the full warranties on the BMW people know everything and anything is pretty much covered and you get a loaner. So no hesitation to bring it in on any thing. Then factor in the technology advancements in a one car to another car can be night and day. With many of your higher end cars you have sensors to tell you everything. On Cobalt you could have a problem and the car may run fine but there isn't anything to tell you something is wrong. Yet on the BMW it may run fine but I-Drive is telling you "x" is wrong so you take it in. Then also you have software updates that have fixed a lot of issues over the years so some people make stuff up just to get a software update so its another notch on the bed post for a trip to the dealer. Plus I'm not sure how they work the numbers between cars sold. Camry sells 300,000+ where the 525Xi might have only sold 10,000 or whatever. To me there just is so many variables that need to be taking into account to really accurately put a figure on it.

On your purschase don't worry its a solid car and I assume you'll get the similar realiablity you where getting on your previous 3 series.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='664079' date='Sep 7 2008, 03:29 PM
I'd take consumer reports ratings on cars with a grain of salt. Different cars different folks. Owner of Chevy Cobalt is much more likely not to complain about squeak as an owner of a BMW, MB, Lexus, Audi, and so on. Plus with the full warranties on the BMW people know everything and anything is pretty much covered and you get a loaner. So no hesitation to bring it in on any thing. Then factor in the technology advancements in a one car to another car can be night and day. With many of your higher end cars you have sensors to tell you everything. On Cobalt you could have a problem and the car may run fine but there isn't anything to tell you something is wrong. Yet on the BMW it may run fine but I-Drive is telling you "x" is wrong so you take it in. Then also you have software updates that have fixed a lot of issues over the years so some people make stuff up just to get a software update so its another notch on the bed post for a trip to the dealer. Plus I'm not sure how they work the numbers between cars sold. Camry sells 300,000+ where the 525Xi might have only sold 10,000 or whatever. To me there just is so many variables that need to be taking into account to really accurately put a figure on it.

On your purschase don't worry its a solid car and I assume you'll get the similar realiablity you where getting on your previous 3 series.
+1. It's not exactly apples to apples with CR. It's a much smaller sample size from a much more demanding market segment. Obviously, we BMW owners will complain about anything or we wouldn't spend half our time on this forum. Enjoy your new ride!