E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just got pulled over for TintS WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

So, I had traffic court yesterday and I didn't remember what the summons was for and when I looked one was for the ticket I got for tinted windows. Just my luck I remembered this thread, so I printed out the manual for the tester and took it to court with me. So when the officer spoke, he said the usual reading from his notes "on such and such date, I observed a motorist blah blah" you know how they speak. So when he was done, I whipped out the manual and pointed out that the officer completed his testimony and never indicated that he cleaned my glass and in the manual it CLEARLY states on page 3 that the glass is to be cleaned or the results will be inaccurate, to what degree? None of us know. And I asked if the officer could recall the specific make and model of device her used and he could not. (why would he even think to note that hahaha) So he couldn't even say it was a different model than the instructions I had. He was completely caught by surprise!

Here are the results ;

Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Haha!!
Got him on a technical. Awesome!
Do you think they'd mind cleaning the front windshield while they're at it?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Good job on the dismissal !

The whole "illegal" tint thing is ridiculous.

Here in RI, cars are not allowed any aftermarket tint whatsoever.
However, an SUV can tint the windows behind the drivers seat as dark as they want. As long as the windshield
and the front seat windows are untinted you actually could spray paint all the other windows to zero visabilty and still be legal.
It makes no sense. So I can drive my X5 with 25% factory tint without worry, but the E60 with 38% tint makes me an outlaw !
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

In MA its not as bad. The legal limit is 35% on the side windows and back windshield but they don't really care about the back at all.
No front windshield tint allowed! Well only the top 6 inches can be tinted. Who would want to do that? :thumbsdown:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by mookish
Negative...in NYC all four side windows must allow 70% light to pass thru. If by back you mean "rear" then you can tint the rear as dark as you want.

Police don't really pull people over for tint (in NYC) or they'd pull over every third car. Take your own count on any busy street and see how many cars with tints pass you in 10 minutes. From my experience, something has to trigger their attention to your car. Bad hood late at night, driving in a "suspect" manner, not breaking any laws, but just driving funny (too slow, kinda fast, looking around too much, something). Loud music, loud exhaust, not too loud, just enough to make them look. This is what triggers the stop, the tint meter is just an excuse to get a look inside and at your license status and run you for warrants. One time I got stopped (late night in east flatbush brooklyn) cop pulled the tint-o-meter act on me and also noticed that my reg. was expired. He was cool, no attitude, so I said can you at least give me a break on the tints. He said he would, but that he couldn't because then the reg. ticket wouldn't hold up because he has to indicate an initial reason for the stop and he can't tell my reg. is expired by me just driving by. So they use the tint thing just to stop you in the hopes of finding something more major. If they find nothing, then you just get the tint ticket.

They will be the first to tell you that they don't care about that BS, it's only when they're forced to crack down by bosses or they suspect something else will they stop you for it.

really i didnt know that... hmm so why do all minivans and suv con from factory tinted like 35% already as an option? well its good to know but i'll always tint my cars lol i love the look but i dont go too dark 35% or up
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by Ghostteck
really i didnt know that... hmm so why do all minivans and suv con from factory tinted like 35% already as an option? well its good to know but i'll always tint my cars lol i love the look but i dont go too dark 35% or up
that's true, vans and SUV's are exempt from the 70% rule in the rear at least. (Why idk).

http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/NY/

Before yesterday I was just ready to pay my yearly "tint tax", but now i have a secret weapon, that is until they catch on if they ever do. They better have some windex and paper towels the next time they stop me lol! But I won't say anything, I'll just let them take the reading and the get'em again!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530

Congrats on the dismissal and fighting back!...law enforcement just expect people to pay the fine and move on
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Cops are becoming more and more nasty.

no kidding i have been pulled over 4 times since january - ticket every time - 3 of them are for a goddamn headlight that keeps going out - not a bimmer though its my beater thats why im a newb here - still shoppin.

3 categories of cop in NY

troopers - fucking joke, 55k starting salary and they spend 95% of their time parked on the side of the road trying to catch the real badguys - 12mph speeders in a 65 zone...ugh dicks....

local cops - bigger joke, no money so jealous of everyone they "police"- nothing to do - will write you a 1-headlight ticket 20 mins after a hailstorm.

city cops (nyc, alb, buf, roc, maybe...syracuse) - god bless! you guys are actually stopping criminals and focusing on crime that needs to be stopped keep up the great work!

Originally Posted by mookish
Before yesterday I was just ready to pay my yearly "tint tax", but now i have a secret weapon, that is until they catch on if they ever do. They better have some windex and paper towels the next time they stop me lol! But I won't say anything, I'll just let them take the reading and the get'em again!
and i love this - its like... you were wasting my time with your little "ticket" oh you mad? cause im stuntin on you??
and that ties him up for 45 mins - (taxpayers loot he doesnt care) and then it ties up a court clerk for 30 mins (taxpayers) and then you have to see a judge ($$$ taxes) and then you have to see the DA ($$$$ taxes ) and then its just dismissed because officer dildo isnt smart enough to play by his own rules.

cost to you - 2 hours - annoyying
cost to state - ~5 hours - $500 easily

keep up the good work officer!