E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just got my car back from service today....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY06 530i Silver Grey (A08)

About two weeks ago, I noticed that the nav on my car was acting wierd. It would display my location as a point where I was not. For example, if I was on US 1, it would show me about 4 miles west into the Atlantic Ocean. Or (for those fellow South Florida members) when I was on Kendal drive, it showed me on Krome Ave. Also, many streets of the main roads would not load. So, I figured I would take it in, they would reprogram it, I would get my car back in a day, easy as pie.

Not so much. I took the car in on May 30 (Friday) and they told me that it would not be ready until Monday. I figured as much, but they gave me a red 3 series as a loaner, so it was just as well. While I was there, I asked the SA to give me a quote on how much it would cost to install the Ipod adapter because I figured that if they were reprogramming it anyway, it would be no sweat and although I could do it myself, I didnt want to mess with the programming issues. So, he calls me back on Monday and tells me that the CCC on the car is bad, it has to be replaced and reprogrammed, and it would be about $1100 for the Ipod install, parts, and programming. I was like holy crap, thats out of control. I guess he was trying to job me. Anyway, they open a PUMA case and have at it. Tuesday comes, and the CCC didnt take the program. Bummer. Wednesday comes, no luck. After 4 attempts (it's on the invoice they gave me) the CCC finally works. So, my car should be ready on Thursday. Except that through the "process" the antenna was damaged. So they replace it, which seems easy enough. BUT, it has to be "glued" (Elmers?) and takes about a day to dry. He says I can pick it up Friday (6/5) night but I can't make it, so I go there this morning.

Its a good thing I did, because when I took a look at the car, I noticed about 8 scratches in the clear of the hood right where the passenger wiper arm connects. It looked like someone put something on the hood, forgot it was there, and opened the hood or drove the car. There was a white residue on the hood and wiper arm, so it looked fresh. So, I go inside and tell the SA and before I could even say anything, he apologizes and takes it back tot he body shop. I assume the buffed it out, but after about 45 minutes, the car came back and the marks were gone. Good thing my car is silver gray.

So by this point, the SA is telling me that if there is anything I feel he needs to do to get a 5 star rating, to let him know. I told him to work on the price of the Ipod adapter, so he said to call him this week.

I am going to give him 5* because I'm not the type of person to mess with people's livelihood. If I have a problem, Ill talk to him directly. But anyway, I finally got my car back with a new CCC, new program, new antenna, and a new detail. And the bonus, now it plays MP3s. So, the question becomes (and I have read just about everything on this board about the subject) now that my car (MY 06, Nav, no CDC 530i) plays MP3s, can I just stick the Ipod adapter in myself and call it a day? I think the answer is yes, but if I try and fail, I am up a creek because the SA said that if I install it myself, they will not be able to program the car because they would "be guaranteeing my work".

Any help would be awesome, because I would like to just order the parts from Gary at Newport, install it, and call it a day with the dealership.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

You'll be fine...Throw it in there....Should just work....The ipod is plug and play...There just jockin you...
Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by skeeter' post='902927' date='Jun 6 2009, 08:13 PM
You'll be fine...Throw it in there....Should just work....The ipod is plug and play...There just jockin you...
Pretty sure you need the car to be coded for a CDC in order for the BMW iPod adapter to work. Do some searching on the forum for people who have done it.