E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just Bought 545 - Huge Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Before I started searching I haven't either.

But with todays knowledge... I'll never ever buy a BMW V8 again, if I ever buy a BMW again.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by Iceman
Before I started searching I haven't either.

But with todays knowledge... I'll never ever buy a BMW V8 again, if I ever buy a BMW again.
I understand where you are coming from...if it is any look on the bright side, i know of a person with an 01 540i 120k miles and he has not had this issue at this point.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Contributors

I just watched that video by All German Auto. That is one damn ingenious product. I wonder if they would sell that part alone for some of you that are not local nor in California.

1600 definitely sounds better than 7000.. I will definitely check them out once I hit around 80k miles.. if I still have the car at that point.

Honestly, though it seems the most problematic model of the E60 seems to be the 2004 545i, I still love my car and how it drives. I just put into consideration that I am driving a German car and expect to deal with high repair costs.. My dad had a Porsche which I could have inherited as my first car going into college. I ended up going the "more reliable" route and got a new Honda instead because as a student, I didn't want to deal with constantly taking the car to the shop, and trust me, it was in the shop.. a LOT.

To the OP, life will always throw hurdles your way, but you can't let them dictate how you live/deal with life. You just bought yourself a nice car, a 5 series. Every model has its own "issues" so stop worrying about possible problems and just drive and enjoy the car. (as well as properly maintain it if you plan on driving it for a good while)

Plus, even if you have buyers remorse, what are you going to do? return? doubt it.. so drive your car and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

dont worry. just drive and enjoy
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

The place in that youtube video is like 15 minutes from me, so at least if that problem happens I'm right there. Wonder how reasonable they are on everything else, or if that's just their claim to fame? I'll be checking that place out (hopefully not soon).
Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by Iceman
OK...

BMW V8-engines in the 7series and the 5series have a design flaw.
On Bimmerforums there are several complaints about this problem already, and I had this on my own E60 as well.

Once the car is about 5-6 years old the O-ring attached to the pipe under the V needs to be replaced. Therefore, the complete engine will be taken apart. Water pump, cylinder head, timing case, everything... The part itself, which is worth about a Buck fifty, is glued onto the pipe, so that the pipe needs to be replaced, which will be about 75 Bucks. But the work... three to four days... totals up in a HUGE amount.
There are reports from V8-owners who where quoted 8000 and more USD!!!
Over here it was a 4K bill...

When complaining to BMW they claim it is a part that needs to be replaced somewhen, and therefore, no warranty at all.
If you complain again and again... After like three times they will agree to pay 50%.

Fact is:
BMW does know this.
BMW could built the engine different, so that this is not such a big problem.
BMW seems to want to give their dealers some work to make big bucks...

Will I ever buy a V8 BMW again?

HELL NO!

BUYERS BEWARE!!!

Over at Bimmerforums and The Fest there are several such complaints and thy are talking about a class action suite!

Does someone know what are the first symptoms of this issue? Oil leak? Does it affect performance at all when it starts failing?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

I don't think you made a mistake buying a 545 i love mine and i don't have warranty.. i ran into a few problems when i first bought the car, like 1200 dollars worth, but it now runs flawlessly, and has for the last 3 months... just stay away from the dealers cuz they like to make you think you have a problem with your car... either that, or they actually do cause problems with your car
Originally Posted by miguex
yes, there is a new solution for this and even a pretty good DIY if you want save money: here is youtube: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UoCED1jyfL4

the shop to buy the part is http://www.allgerman...-pipe-tube.html
wow, thanks for the links! hopefully i never need to use them but am going to save them if the day should ever come

Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by danzanchy
...wow, thanks for the links! hopefully i never need to use them but am going to save them if the day should ever come

+1 here. Luckily, they're in San Diego county area. Thanks for the link .
Old 02-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vlad_b
Does someone know what are the first symptoms of this issue? Oil leak? Does it affect performance at all when it starts failing?
There are no FIRST symptoms.

The o-ring fails, water leaks, moments later you get the warning.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by miguex
yes, there is a new solution for this and even a pretty good DIY if you want save money: here is youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCED1jyfL4

the shop to buy the part is http://www.allgermanauto.com/product...pipe-tube.html
The problem with that is, you still have to pay 1600 $ for a broken o-ring which is worth 1.50$

So I still have to say, buying a BMW V8 is a HUGE mistake if you want to keep it longer than the first four to five years of its life.
I will definately never ever buy one again!

Quick Reply: Just Bought 545 - Huge Mistake?