E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just Bought 545 - Huge Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by miguex
Iceman, does it also apply the M3 e9X in which has V8 too???
Nope.
The M-engines are designed much better.
No M-engine has this pipe. All coolant hoses and pipes are easy to reach, compared to the regular BMW V8 engines.

That's another point that shows it CAN be done and there's no need to have this pipe in this spot with an o-ring like that.
It is clearly a design fault!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman
Nope.
The M-engines are designed much better.
No M-engine has this pipe. All coolant hoses and pipes are easy to reach, compared to the regular BMW V8 engines.

That's another point that shows it CAN be done and there's no need to have this pipe in this spot with an o-ring like that.
It is clearly a design fault!

so let me just be clear on your opinion, your saying that engineers where making hundreds and thousands of motors and they put a rubber type of o ring in that pipe and not one of them said hey this might fail and be a big issue down the line and give us a bad rap(because o rings are used in injectors ect and seem to last forever but hey) so they said nah let it fail, we don't already know we have coolant issues, so lets make it really known bmw cooling systems suck by doing this, and they will ALL fail in 5 years who cares..... i would have to disagree with your logic and think that BMW is concerned and for some reason they think those o-rings where/are designed to last the life of the motor, but hey I have faith, I say you got a bum batch of o-rings for your car and some cars might have also, it happens when parts when getting shipped around could have contacted something --- you know that old saying your car was put together on a friday..... i dont know --- sad for you to make everyone think bmws v8 suck
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Don't buy a BMW V8 unless yopu don't want to keep it longer than the first five years or you are willing to deal with the issues it has!
You are overly optimistic. My rule is - never own a BMW outside the new car warranty!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by SergeyM
You are overly optimistic. My rule is - never own a BMW outside the new car warranty!
I disagree, I have a BMW out of "new car warranty" and have CPO and Extended Maint. I am fine with my car. would I own one without warranty? Hell no, are you mad?!?! These cars are great but they ARE expensive to fix, so anything I can't do myself will be left for the next owner to do.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ericdiver
so let me just be clear on your opinion, your saying that engineers where making hundreds and thousands of motors and they put a rubber type of o ring in that pipe and not one of them said hey this might fail and be a big issue down the line and give us a bad rap(because o rings are used in injectors ect and seem to last forever but hey) so they said nah let it fail, we don't already know we have coolant issues, so lets make it really known bmw cooling systems suck by doing this, and they will ALL fail in 5 years who cares..... i would have to disagree with your logic and think that BMW is concerned and for some reason they think those o-rings where/are designed to last the life of the motor, but hey I have faith, I say you got a bum batch of o-rings for your car and some cars might have also, it happens when parts when getting shipped around could have contacted something --- you know that old saying your car was put together on a friday..... i dont know --- sad for you to make everyone think bmws v8 suck
Believe it or not, those are facts!

I have extremely good contacts at BMW HQ and I have seen many failed o-rings already.
They all look the same, the all failed after the same time period, they all failed in the same way.
It IS a design fault, since it has always been clear that those will not last forever.
Putting them in such a bad spot, while M engineers decide to not do so... They failed.

BMW s not concerned at all, they ignore the problem and let their V8 owners totally alone with a huge bill.
The failure of the o-ring has to do with its life span, not with some accident during shipping etc....
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Members

Believe it or not, those are facts!

I have extremely good contacts at BMW HQ and I have seen many failed o-rings already.
They all look the same, the all failed after the same time period, they all failed in the same way.
It IS a design fault, since it has always been clear that those will not last forever.
Putting them in such a bad spot, while M engineers decide to not do so... They failed.

BMW s not concerned at all, they ignore the problem and let their V8 owners totally alone with a huge bill.
The failure of the o-ring has to do with its life span, not with some accident during shipping etc....
ok fair enough, i will let everyone know if my cars tube fails anytime soon.... i just cant imagine all v8 4.4 of these generations will be going to the dealer soon.... but o well.... lucky i can fix mine if i have to for about $700.... but if i have to fix mine this will truly be my last bmw --- keep in mind the m62 motor (540i 740i) had 2 pipes and o-rings and pipes in the same manner and i never had a issue
Old 02-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by No Onions
The local gas station read the error and it's "fuel tank venting" whatever that is. Is that the error for the gas cap? They cleared the error but it will probably just pop right back up again. I guess I need to bring the car to a German auto place.

i currently have the same problem. see this thread ( https://5series.net/forums/topic/940...&#entry1111944) with my error codes... do you get an increased emissions light as well?
let me know if you did anything to resolve
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So let's recap:

N52 - lifters
V8's - O rings
N54 - HPFP
V10s - SMG and God knows what else...

Feels a bit like I'm check-mated if I want a BMW - none of the powerplants are really reliable long-term :thumbsdown:
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

+ 1

No one car is Perfect! ... Cars are like humans! The cars don't live forever!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

When the dealership checked my car's cpu they found nothing wrong, so they charged me $300 for the check and reset. The very next day the check engine light pops on AGAIN and then a little while later the increased emissions light as well. The increased emmissions light turned off after a few engine restarts, but the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Dealership appointment later this week because it's the only time they had an available loaner car.

Quick Reply: Just Bought 545 - Huge Mistake?