E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

July 2009 BMW Sales (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='970859' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:13 AM
Meh the statistics don't say much. Just means a Jeep Patriot has some better incentives this July than last. Doesn't mean it still isn't getting outsold by CRV, RAV-4 and all the other Japanese competitors (I assume).
Yes the Jeep is still outsold by the mainstays of that segment (by about 2:1), but it wasn't just the Jeep that jumped in July - the whole compact ute segment went crazy (+26% over last July). The CR-V was up 10%; RAV4 +32%; Chevy Equinox +78%; Ford Escape + 94%; Kia Sportage +80%. Something about the size and utility of that group caught people's attention all of a sudden. It was the only segment that really made a move up in July.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I didn't realize Fox news was so popular with BMW enthusiasts
Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

My dealer just sent me a private one day customer loyalty sales event, by invitation only....There giving out 0.9% apr on new and cpo vehicles....
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Not to pile on, but oh what fun it is....The Cash for Clunkers program's main detraction is that it creates no new wealth, rather tax instruments around and ultimately, we US tax payers get stuck with the bill, which for you guys keeping track, we are knocking on the door to 12 Trillion in debt. Put that in perspective for a second... 1 million seconds ago was 12 days ago. 1 billion seconds ago was 32 years. 1 trillion, 32,000 years ago. And before you euros start piling on, you are not lilly white either. UK %GDP to debt is 154%.. Germany almost 200%... US is around 95%. You know, a few trillion here, a few trillion there and pretty soon we start talking serious money. Economics class dismissed
Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6spd

Originally Posted by Pioneer530' post='971631' date='Aug 10 2009, 07:55 PM
Where the hell is mnmike finding new cars for $12K?????? Not on Planet Earth. Not unless it has manual windows, cloth interior, three speed manual and no A/C. But maybe that's the idea, unless you are pol.
Cash for Clunkers is just another social engineering project to get us to trade in a car with some gonads for a golf cart with an enclosed top.
And I have to wonder about that nasty sodium solution they are running through the engines of these trade ins - that HAS to be adding to the carbon footprint!!!
Obummer - I like it, haven't heard it before.
As we know, elections have consequences.
haha agreed, the really sad thing is cars aren't the biggest contributor to this whole climate change estimate. Methane, which is 20 times more effective at trapping greenhouse gases than c02 casts a much much much larger shadow, but yet cars become the scapegoat.. Cattle produce far more methane than automobiles ever will 100 times over.

And yes 12k cars are pretty bargain basement, but to some people a car is a way from getting from point a to point b period. The chevy aveo starts at $9999 iirc.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='971266' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:47 PM
Seriously?

Cash for clunkers isn't aimed at people buying 40k cars. It has 2 main purposes from what I can tell:
1) It's an attempt to get some rusty old car getting 10 mpg and leaking nasty fluids off the road and replaced by a 25+ mpg car. I'm not an environmentalist nor am I trying to say this actually does a good thing for the planet but it at least makes headlines for you folks in CA.
2) More importantly, it's for economical reasons. You'll get $3500 or $4500 for your clunker, and buy a cheap new car (believe it or not there are brand new cars that sell for 12k, or less than a third of a bimmer).

To some, that might make the difference in a monthly car payment from $250 down to $170. And when adding the fuel and repair savings, lower interest rates new cars get and the other benefits of a new car, that actually makes it worth it to some people to go buy something new.

By doing this your obviously helping car companies sell cars and giving a chain of people a little more job stability - from the guy crushing your rusty old buick, to the service manager you'll see when you bring your new car in next month. And of course this is stimulating the economy in a variety of ways.

I think it's a great idea in the short run. If it will jumpstart things and get us on the right path without sending us into the same downward spiral is an unknown.
Mike, we need to have a talk...
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='971266' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:47 PM
Seriously?

Cash for clunkers isn't aimed at people buying 40k cars. It has 2 main purposes from what I can tell:
1) It's an attempt to get some rusty old car getting 10 mpg and leaking nasty fluids off the road and replaced by a 25+ mpg car. I'm not an environmentalist nor am I trying to say this actually does a good thing for the planet but it at least makes headlines for you folks in CA.
2) More importantly, it's for economical reasons. You'll get $3500 or $4500 for your clunker, and buy a cheap new car (believe it or not there are brand new cars that sell for 12k, or less than a third of a bimmer).

To some, that might make the difference in a monthly car payment from $250 down to $170. And when adding the fuel and repair savings, lower interest rates new cars get and the other benefits of a new car, that actually makes it worth it to some people to go buy something new.

By doing this your obviously helping car companies sell cars and giving a chain of people a little more job stability - from the guy crushing your rusty old buick, to the service manager you'll see when you bring your new car in next month. And of course this is stimulating the economy in a variety of ways.

I think it's a great idea in the short run. If it will jumpstart things and get us on the right path without sending us into the same downward spiral is an unknown.
Ditto (with a caveat)...

When you're driving a 1991 Crown Victoria, and you can get $4,500 towards a new Hyundai Accent, minus dealer incentives, there are people driving off the lot with new cars for under $10K. That's about a $150 a month car note, and twice the gas mileage. The car almost pays for itself...

The ONLY mistake I think they made with Cash for clunkers, was allowing this money to be used on foreign cars (Acura, Audi, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, etc..) Sine the American auto industry is in shambles, I think the American money allocated for the Cash for Clunkers program, should have been towards American nameplates only.

Nothing wrong with buying an import- I just don't think US Gov't money should aid in that endeavor when American car companies need to move units.

Like someone said, it doesn't have to be a BMW to get a person from A to B- and if that's all they are looking for, or can afford- then an Accent, or a Spectra will get that person where they are going, just as quickly as a BMW will (speed limit), at 1/5th the cost.

A wise man once said, "It might be a Bentley to you, but to me it's a blue car"... (Diddy)
Old 08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='971681' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:01 PM
I didn't realize Fox news was so popular with BMW enthusiasts
FOX News is too popular, period.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Members

New model in 2010 is probably causing current drop off in sales of new E60.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by bighersh' post='972659' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:31 PM
Ditto (with a caveat) I just don't think US Gov't money should aid in that endeavor when American car companies need to move units.
My friend it is not US Gov't money. It is my money and your money. It is taxpayer's money. I don't know if you pay taxes, but I do.

And I resent your "Gov't" paying my money for more and more schemes to transfer what I have earned to those who have not!

sixcard

Quick Reply: July 2009 BMW Sales (U.S.)