E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Its an old chassis fitted in to a new body, same old engine,(from other Jag line up) you really want to buy a car now which is basically a quick make up job to introduce a new car? And not to forget how Jaguar will be sold off almost instantly as soon as TATA finds a buyer as the only way they could buy Land Rover was buy buying Jaguar along with it. I am not so sure....so why not even get a Lexus GS for few years and then the F10 or even a used 06 550i and then return it for a F10 in 2011..... dont get the Jag
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Members

Not a big fan of the XF front end, it looks too american.

Before it came out, the main attraction was looks. But the production model lost its edge.

If you plan on leasing the car. The BMW will have way better lease numbers and lower payments.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i MSport, Silver Grey, Step, 19" 172 Wheels, Media Pkg inc MP3, Heated Front Seats, Black Leather Seats, Aux Port, Space Saver Wheel, M Rear Spoiler, Ext Voice System

Why not 'have your cake and eat it too'? Get the XF and if all goes well then you can stick with it, if not, trade it in for the 535. I doubt you would loose too much cash...

I saw the XF last week in a car park in Manchester - to me the front is not inspiring. The back looked nice as was the interior, but I could spot similarities between the switches and buttons in the ford mondeo.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I have a coworker with a 545i Sport. She saw an XF when she was up in NY a short while ago. She said she stop her car, got out and walked around the XF marvelling at it! So it must be drop-dead gorgeous in person, because it is beautiful in photographs. Personally, I'd go for the Jag if the price was the same, but isn't the XF SC significantly more expensive than a 535i?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='552086' date='Mar 27 2008, 11:45 PM
You are considering a new model by a company with one of the 3 worst reliability records of any brand sold in the US. That not to mention that they are being bought by Tata who has absolutely no experience selling or manufacturing luxury automobiles. Tough choice.
I think that pretty much sums it up.

Jaguar makes some nice looking cars no doubt about that. Personally I like the look of the XF. But knowing the long term realiablity issues with Jaguar I won't touch any of there cars unless you go in with an open pocket book or you only keep your car for 3 years or less. Also Jaguar has very poor resale value which is something to consider. Unless your leasing this may be its a moot point to you.

Plus you not getting the XF SC anywhere near the price of a 535i.

I think if your a short term car owner 1 to 3 years or leasing go with your gut and take a chance on the XF. If your looking for long term ownership like 5 to 7 years I'd go with the 535i or a slightly used 550i.

Wish I had this problem in my life right now
Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Members

I think the Jaguar is a beautiful car and the company has put a lot into it because of their declining fortunes. Personally, if I was going to get into the Jag, I would wait a year until all the gremlins are discovered.

Having said that, I am incredible happy with my 535xi
Old 03-28-2008, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='552211' date='Mar 28 2008, 06:20 AM
I think that pretty much sums it up.
Except it doesn't. Jaguar reliability today is roughly on a par with BMW, as the 2007 results showed. There isn't the gap there used to be.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='552144' date='Mar 28 2008, 03:22 AM
Its an old chassis fitted in to a new body, same old engine,(from other Jag line up) you really want to buy a car now which is basically a quick make up job to introduce a new car? And not to forget how Jaguar will be sold off almost instantly as soon as TATA finds a buyer as the only way they could buy Land Rover was buy buying Jaguar along with it. I am not so sure....so why not even get a Lexus GS for few years and then the F10 or even a used 06 550i and then return it for a F10 in 2011..... dont get the Jag
What is with you and the F10??? That's all you ever talk about. If a person had the money and were considering a Bentley, would you still try to shove the F10 down their throat? Give a rest already! Sheesh!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

The first year of a brand new vehilcle type almost always= disaster.............. an LCI 535 has all the bugs worked out and is a very proven car, just on this issue alone I would opt out of ther Jag , give it 3 years and see .
Good luck
Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by ddlv' post='552081' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:24 AM
I am trying to decide between a Jaguar XF and a BMW 535i, and I am really having a difficult time. Here are the most significant facts to me so far. Please weigh in:
  1. I think the XF is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen - beautiful body styling. Personally I like it much better than the 535.
  2. I test drove an XF (non supercharged). It was nice, but the 535 is much better in acceleration and driver feel in my opinion. I am hoping to test drive a supercharged XF soon.
  3. I thought the interior was a little too tight on the XF. Especially in the rear seat, it seems like the 535 has a little extra legroom that would make a lot of difference. It is also easy to clip your head on the way into the back seat of the XF.
  4. How will Jaguar reliability and cost to maintain on this new model compare to the 535?
If it weren't for the incredible body styling of the XF I would have gone to the BMW already. However, I may rationalize the smaller interior if the supercharged model has some acceleration to rival the 535.

Any input is welcomed. I know this is the home of BMW loyalists, so take it easy on me.

Thank you!
[/list]

Personally, aside from not liking the fit/finish and general look of the Jaguar... it really is a FORD regardless of who bought it now.
I really hate the service. I just came out of a Rover and the Ford service is just terrible. You get the same treatment weather you have a Range Rover, Jaguar or Taurus.
Tata is an Indian conglom' that has been buying up Everything from Tea to Textile companies. They don't make cars, they make investments in the week dollar. They are also buying Rover... That must sting a bit for some old time Brits.
If I would consider any Jag at all it would only be the XJ.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided