E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide between a Jaguar XF and a BMW 535i, and I am really having a difficult time. Here are the most significant facts to me so far. Please weigh in:
  1. I think the XF is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen - beautiful body styling. Personally I like it much better than the 535.
  2. I test drove an XF (non supercharged). It was nice, but the 535 is much better in acceleration and driver feel in my opinion. I am hoping to test drive a supercharged XF soon.
  3. I thought the interior was a little too tight on the XF. Especially in the rear seat, it seems like the 535 has a little extra legroom that would make a lot of difference. It is also easy to clip your head on the way into the back seat of the XF.
  4. How will Jaguar reliability and cost to maintain on this new model compare to the 535?
If it weren't for the incredible body styling of the XF I would have gone to the BMW already. However, I may rationalize the smaller interior if the supercharged model has some acceleration to rival the 535.

Any input is welcomed. I know this is the home of BMW loyalists, so take it easy on me.

Thank you!
[/list]
Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

You are considering a new model by a company with one of the 3 worst reliability records of any brand sold in the US. That not to mention that they are being bought by Tata who has absolutely no experience selling or manufacturing luxury automobiles. Tough choice.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much is that FORD, oh, did I say Jaguar or ford? nevermind it makes no different anyways...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

bimmer... enjoy the forums
Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Members

the new jag is a new chasis shape so unless you are leasing it i wouldnt touch it... ford influences in the past included electronics and i know someone whose car caught on fire because of that.

Personally the inside of the new jag is very nice and revolutionary... me putting out money to buy a car with not a great track record the jag would not be on the top of the list.

I don't know where you are located but fifth gear reviewed the car and they were happy about the interior.

id take the bm hands down... lci e60
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Jaguar outscored BMW on initial quality in 2007 and was very close to BMW on three year reliability (2007 report on 2004 model year cars, where BMW was 7th and Jaguar was 11th). My only data point is my 2007 550, which ended up as a buy back.

Personally, I think the XF is an excellent car. The latest issue of Winding Road just came out today and it tests the XF. It's another positive review. In fact, I've yet to see a bad review of the XF.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Contributors

Interesting choice of comparisons.

I too took a look at the new Jags last year. But my look was only curiosity. I felt their dealer network was weak and though the cats looked "sexy" the XF was too small for my needs - more 3-sized than a 5 comparo.

Add to that the Jag's questionably reliability and knowing that Ford was looking to dump them made for an easy decision.

Just to balance things out I also looked at and was very interested in the Infiniti M's. Their performance + strong reliability made for a tough argument.

But after a few unpleasant Infiniti dealer encounters ... I went back for another BMW.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='552089' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:52 AM
how much is that FORD, oh, did I say Jaguar or ford? nevermind it makes no different anyways...
It is not Ford, it is Tata now, but what's in a name? If it drives well and is faster that E60 (420hp > 300hp) then why not.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='552105' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:23 PM
I too took a look at the new Jags last year. But my look was only curiosity. I felt their dealer network was weak and though the cats looked "sexy" the XF was too small for my needs - more 3-sized than a 5 comparo.
You couldn't have looked at an XF last year - it's only been in US dealers as of March 2008... Was it the X-Type, perhaps? That's more 3 series sized.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, M-Sport Bodykit, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, Active Steering.

Originally Posted by ddlv' post='552081' date='Mar 28 2008, 03:24 PM
I am trying to decide between a Jaguar XF and a BMW 535i, and I am really having a difficult time. Here are the most significant facts to me so far. Please weigh in:
  1. I think the XF is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen - beautiful body styling. Personally I like it much better than the 535.[
  2. I test drove an XF (non supercharged). It was nice, but the 535 is much better in acceleration and driver feel in my opinion. I am hoping to test drive a supercharged XF soon.
  3. I thought the interior was a little too tight on the XF. Especially in the rear seat, it seems like the 535 has a little extra legroom that would make a lot of difference. It is also easy to clip your head on the way into the back seat of the XF.
  4. How will Jaguar reliability and cost to maintain on this new model compare to the 535?
If it weren't for the incredible body styling of the XF I would have gone to the BMW already. However, I may rationalize the smaller interior if the supercharged model has some acceleration to rival the 535.

Any input is welcomed. I know this is the home of BMW loyalists, so take it easy on me.

Thank you!
[/list]
I just want to make a constructive response to your comments above. My intentions are not to offend.

I think styling and design in an automobile is obviously an important factor when purchasing a new vehicle. Since the E60 was released late 2003, I was swept away by it's strong design elements, including its aggressive and purposeful stance even when stationary. To me, the 5 series looks perfectly balanced in design and evokes the message intended; the ultimate driver's car. I have yet to see the Jaguar XF in the metal so I'll reserve final judgement when I do but it's definitely a departure from Jaguar's traditional styling cues and its design has elements of Aston Martin in the rear end so that can't be a bad thing. From my experience in BMW ownership, I have the opinion that the design of BMWs is a perfect blend of form and function, also keeping in mind that part of their design brief is to maintain a perfect 50/50 weight distribution so the designers do have restrictions when given the task of designing a new BMW, yet I find their designs in every new model generation to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Apart from the XF, I think Jaguar's previous generation models have been somewhat revolutionary.

We all know BMWs are renowned for being the ultimate driver's car with the practicality of 4 doors and that's why we own a BMW. I for one, became an instant BMW convert when I bought my first BMW 8 years ago and have chosen to be loyal to the brand after each test drive of every BMW I have bought. Its perfectly balanced chassis, communicative and sharp steering make it a perfect compromise of owning a luxury car with the driver in mind. I haven't driven an XF so I can't comment on the way it drives compared to a BMW but you have given an initial impression when comparing the 535i to the XF.

The main reason I stick with the BMW brand has alot to do with interior ergonomics. While the i-drive has attracted its fare share of criticism, I find using it a joy as it has the ability to perform a multitude of tasks with a single controller and those that might find it a pain may not be as techno-inclined as the rest of us. Also, I find that the relationship of the driver to the steering wheel and pedals is perfect in all of the BMWs I have owned and there have been times when I have driven a rental local car and driving it after a period of time gets tiring as it does not have nowhere near the perfect ergonomics my BMWs have had. Another BMW trademark is the intrument clarity and effectiveness of the orange lighting at night, and again, cannot say that I have found other makes as effective, night or day. On another note, I have the opinion that the design of the BMW E60 interior makes it an inviting environment and the night time ambient lighting adds that extra touch of class. Also, being over 6 feet tall, there is more than enough leg, head and shoulder room in an E60 and it can seat 4 sizeable adults in comfort. I can't comment on the Jaguar, but judging from your comments, interior access and room doesn't seem to be in the same league as the E60.

Finally, I would not buy a car on the merits of performance alone, especially if comfort was to be sacrificed and I am quite confident that the performance offered by a BMW 535i would be at least equal or even superior to the Jaguar if handling was thrown into the equation too, yet not at the cost of comfort. While styling is a subjective topic and all of us have our own unique tastes, the 5 series has always won me, hands down and also as an E39 owner, it still attracts attention even in an E60 era. As an E60 owner of an "older" 545i, I wouldn't have it any other way in my list of criteria of performance, handling, safety, design and comfort which determined my purchase.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided